Go Bottom Go Bottom

Standard or self-leveling 541 loader for JD5320

View my Photos
Bojo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-21          49710

Need to buy a loader for my JD 5320 MFWD SyncShuttle, need to decide between the standard 541 loader for $4800 installed or the self-leveler 541 loader for $600 more. Has anyone out there run both and could you tell me what the self-leveler is going to do for me for an extra $600 bucks vs. the standard bucket, pros and cons? Thanks, your responses are appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-02-21          49726

Bojo,

The self-leveling (SL) loader gives you a few things:
* 300 lbs. more lift capacity for the 541 SL (lifting a load to full height)
* 800 lbs. more breakout capacity for the 541 SL (digging ability at ground level)
* Increased rollback at ground level (better bucket filling)
* REDUCED SPILLING (the bucket keeps itself level throughout the full range of lift)

The self-leveling feature can also been seen as sheet metal protection. Many folks have dented a clean, waxed tractor hood with an errant rock from an unsteady or ill-timed joysick movement. The self-leveling mechanical linkage on this Deere loader keeps the bucket in the same position that you left it in. You don't need to be constantly tipping the bucket forward with the loader joystick as you lift your bucket.

The only cons to this feature (other than price) are:
* Loss of visibility (More linkage on top of the loader frame)
* Increased height. The height issue is rare but I am aware of a farmer who could not use a 541 with Mechanical Self Leveling when cleaning manure from his poultry house. The increase height of the linkage would contact the trusses of the building.

I would buy the self-leveling option. No question.

P. S. - There are several bucket options as well, but all of Deere's buckets will work with either the standard or self-leveling loader. Trust me,I know. Loader attachments are my job. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-22          49755

I've always thought that self-leveling would be very good for anybody who does a lot of work with bucket forks for the reasons Jack mentioned.

I've also thought self-leveling would help me with some artful loader grading or ice removal that I sometimes get into. I tend to ride the rollback valve to keep the blade cutting but not so aggressively that the loader jack knives. However, riding the rollback does change both the blade angle and the depth of cut. I suspect that if I had self-leveling, I'd set a good blade angle with the rollback and then ride the lift.

I'm not sure I understand why the rollback version would have better specs. Maybe there's an error in my reasoning but I think that changing the bucket angle while a lift is going on would take some force whether it's done mechanically or hydraulically, which should reduce the power available for lifting. However there's all sorts of things such as frame geometry, bucket type and cylinder size that affects loader specs and maybe the 541 with self-leveling is different in other ways from standard 541's.

View my Photos
Bojo

2003-02-24          49895

Thanks Jack and Tom, sounds like the self-leveler overall might have a legitimate edge. Since I've only put a hundred-some hours on the tractor, at this point I guess the extra $600 bucks for the self-leveler would easily amortize out over the life of the tractor. Bob ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-16          66387

Go with the self leveling bucket. The 5210 i used when i worked at a golf cource had a 521 loader. I was training a new guy, who had proved himself while running other equipment. I had him lift the bucket all the way up and the sand came right out and all over the hood. I forgot to tell him to level the bucket out as you go up. If it was a self leveler it wouldn't have done that. Most larger machine the bucket is self leveling. It is easy to forget to to do that when loading up truck, i dumped an entire load of mulch on the cab of a bobcat 753 with a 2yard bucket. Thank god it had a cab on it or i would have been a little toasty. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-17          66404

Oh Yeah! I remember doing that. I got arty with an operation when I was taking fill from a ditch where I stored it over a winter.

Arty I say because I was driving into the ditch to pick up a bucket of fill and pulling up the next load with a box scraper as I drove out of the ditch. So, I was raising the bucket after filling it while starting up the steep part of the ditch and glanced back to see if the box was filled and forgot to take my hand off the loader valve. Yep, the noise I heard was the top of the load spilling on the tractor hood. The problem was me trying to do more operations at the same time than I could handle and was compounded by starting up the ditch bank.

No real problem except a blow to my ego and I probably went a long way toward filling up the air filter. A self-leveling loader may have prevented the spill but I probably would have needed a self-leveling tractor to make sure. If I were shopping for loaders, I'd look for one with fast-dump before self-leveling. Both features would be nice though and I have neither. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-17          66405

A mechanically self leveling loader is one of the best inventions going for tractor hoods. It has saved many from destruction and damage. I would take one even if it was hydraulic(they don't work quite as good) if I was to be an owner and I do recommend them to all. ....

View my Photos
harveyr

2022-02-09          200875

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHerr | view 49726
Bojo,The self-leveling (SL) loader gives you a few things:* 300 lbs. more lift capacity for the 541 SL (lifting a load to full height)* 800 lbs. more breakout capacity for the 541 SL (digging ability at ground level)* Increased rollback at ground level (better bucket filling)* REDUCED SPILLING (the bucket keeps itself level throughout the full range of lift)The self-leveling feature can also been seen as sheet metal protection.Many folks have dented a clean, waxed tractor hood with an errant rock from an unsteady or ill-timed joysick movement.The self-leveling mechanical linkage on this Deere loader keeps the bucket in the same position that you left it in.You don't need to be constantly tipping the bucket forward with the loader joystick as you lift your bucket.The only cons to this feature (other than price) are:* Loss of visibility (More linkage on top of the loader frame)* Increased height.The height issue is rare but I am aware of a farmer who could not use a 541 with Mechanical Self Leveling when cleaning manure from his poultry house.The increase height of the linkage would contact the trusses of the building.I would buy the self-leveling option. No question.P. S. - There are several bucket options as well, but all of Deere's buckets will work with either the standard or self-leveling loader.Trust me,I know.Loader attachments are my job.

JackHerr - are you still active on this site? I have John Deere loader attachment compatibility questions if you do. Thanks in advance! ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2022-03-21          200927

I bought a used JD 5525 with regular loader on it. Ended up damaging it clearing up Hurricane damage and replaced with the self-leveling one. Cost me some more and I only found one negative with it over the standard loader, more metal on the fel arms restricting the view some. As to using it otherwise very much agree with the self levelling are great. Bought a Kubota L two years ago (JD 4000 series with no side windows on their cab was a big big turn off in my area with our heat) was very disappointed there is no self-leveling loader option. ....

View my Photos
mirabellanavejar

2022-05-04          201001

I am glad that I found your post, as I got a lot of answers to my questions thanks to the people who answered you. I have a similar problem now since I do not know what exactly to choose for the amount I have so that the model is good and does not break after a year of use. I would be glad to know where you order the equipment so that I consider several options, not just one. ....

View my Photos
Rungreen

2022-05-16          201015

Kubota used to have a hydraulic option that was a valve at the hose connections of the loader. Slick deal was it had a selector to change from standard operating to self level. It uses part of the exiting oil from the lift cylinders to change the bucket as you lift. It did NOT level upon lowering as mechanical leveling would. ....

View my Photos
Rungreen

2022-05-16          201021

Check into Westendorf. I don't know what tractor you are fitting but they have several availble with mechanical linkage. I've had 3, one I ordered with it added on, one had it as standard equipment, one was not available due to it's small size. They go on and off very easy and some have a skid steer plate so you can use those attachments. They have their own quick attach system but it is positive and very easy to switch attachments. They have a sweet brush grapple attachment. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2022-05-17          201028

mirabellanavejar, I would begin with the company your tractor is. Not throwing off at any aftermarket FEL but I would begin with a dealership as they should have the most complete info on loader for you with mounts and such. Then I would talk with the aftermarket people. ....

View my Photos
Rungreen

2022-05-17          201029

Big difference in $$$$. By all means,compare! I compared apples to apples. That's why I bought 3 Westendorf loaders and only 1 from Deere. Never had to weld on a Westendorf but I've seen plenty of welds on Deere, Kubota and IH after the factory. Sight lines are way better to me. Also if you trade tractors of same size but different make, you can simply buy the brackets for your next tractor and keep your Westendorf. Hard to put a Deere on a Kubota or a CaseIH. Just my opinion. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login