Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
Bruce Pirger
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-08-28          41732

I have decided I will try out my firewood moving idea this season by setting wood on pallets and move it around this way. Tired of moving each piece a dozen time by hand...

SO, I need a pair of forks. I have decided against the 3PT forks, as I have a blade/blower there for snow removal. So I must decide between the bolt on forks or the "hang on" that attach to the welded hooks on top of the bucket.

While wedling is my next task to learn in the outoor projects arena, I'm a ways away from it...so I lean towards the bolt on.

Comments? Experiences with the "slip on forks"? I see BlueLine Manufacturing has a pair...look pretty beefy. #3000 pounds for $500 or so, #2000 for $400.

I figure I'll move just about a face cord on a pallet...which will weigh about 2000 pounds or so. Wet. Plan to build little roofs over these pallets and everything, so i can block, split, and stack right on the pallet. Let it dry for the year, then when I need it, carry it near the house. Quick and slick, eh? Then the wood can dry wherever I put it...heck, I could almost leave it out in the bush and go get it later! LOL

All comments, experiences, etc. most welcome! Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-29          41762

It's sort of ironic that I posted my small joke yesterday under 'Receiver Hitch.' I understand the problem, and I don't like to regularly swap implements during the winter either. While I'm not advocating my 'Cadillac' solution of 3ph forklifts for you situation, there are things to think about.

The main drawback of bucket forks is that the weight is further from the tractor, which reduces the lifting capacity substantially. A 2000 lbs. pallet on 4' bucket forks is likely to take a pretty big tractor. Besides, a snow blower may not provide sufficient counter-weight. Swapping the blower for a ballast box might be necessary, which would seem to defeat the purpose.

Other disadvantages of bucket forks are: They can't maneuver in as tight of places as 3ph types. They lift in an arc, so pallets can't be packed tightly and lifted without first pulling them out a bit. Without a back rest, a pallet shouldn't be lifted high, because there's always risk of a load falling off the back and onto the tractor/operator. Unless the loader has coordinated controls, the load angles back as it lifts and the curl has to be adjusted periodically to keep it level.

A true forklift has some advantages since they are intended for moving pallets. The forks on mine slide in and out to easily match up with the notches in pallets. The forks swing out from the carriage and are hinged in the middle so they can easily run under pallets without digging in. The fork design plus carriage tilt also makes it easy to get the right angle to easily release the fork. sometimes it get tricky to get the forks out from under a pallet that has been sat down on uneven ground.

Anyway, I'm not saying that bucket forks won't work to move firewood, but some things should be thought about.

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-29          41766

Bruce, as per usual Tom makes some very good points. I completely agree that 2000# that far in front of ANY tractor is a big load, let alone a compact.

I am a firm believer in looking at EVERY option before deciding on a plan of action. Accordingly, my suggestion would be to save the $400-$500 and the nuisance of putting forks on & taking them back off, especially in the snow & cold. I would suggest that you build the pallets with a little sturdier than normal frame, and a continous outer band of framing, half-lapped, bolted & gussetted at the corners, with a groove or ledge in it.

This way all you have to do is put the bucket edge under one side, run a chain down from one bucket hook under the front and back up to the other hook. Lifting and a little bucket rollback will nicely lift the firewood, pallet and all.

Total cost, about 12' of good chain...Best of luck. ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-08-29          41771

I have a set of clamp-on forks for my 4100. Even though the loader is rated for 900#, the forks are only usable to the 400# range because the tractor gets real squirrelly (bouncy)with that kind of weight suspended way out there. Also consider the concentration of all the weight on two narrow portions of the bucket. That much weight on the forks might warp the cutting edge of the bucket and give your tractor a smiley face. 3PH forks are not all that much more expensive then a set on heavy-duty front clamp-ons. That kind of weight should be on the back of the tractor, assuming your machine is rated for that sort of load.
A forklift is little more than a tractor with the seat and steering wheel on backward. ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
Bruce Pirger

2002-08-29          41791

As usual Murf, that's a good idea! I planned on making the pallets a little beefy...maybe I don't need to forks at all.

As far the these other concerns, I agree. I have a small ag utility tractor, not a compact. The Zetor with loaded tires and loader is over 4 tons, closer to 5. With nearly 300 pounds of me and 300 pounds of tire chains...I think it is over 5tons. Loader is the Allied 594...so she's not a small machine. Although, a ton out on those forks...I totally agree.

Mark, do you like your clamp ons? Happy with them? They don't fall off or tend to be pulled of when backing up with less than perfect alignment?

Thanks guys! ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-08-29          41795

I have the 1000# rated set from Gearmore. It didn't make sense to get the heavy duty model for a 1500# tractor. I am glad to have them and use them on a regular basis. They stay put on the bucket, especially if you reef down real good on those big inch and a quarter jack screws that hold them in place. ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
TomG

2002-08-30          41800

Here's a of kind of a sideways thought. If heavy-duty pallets have to be built, maybe they could be built heavy enough to work like a stone-boat. That would at least solve all the lifting problems. ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-08-30          41813

It certainly sounds like you have enough tractor to handle the load. Always nice to know that I am not the only one around here that adds significant ballast when I hop on board a tractor. ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
Bruce Pirger

2002-09-06          42084

Well, I have ordered a pair of clamp on forks. I need them for other projects...and I might just try to move the wood around as you suggested murf. We shall see. Turns out blue line manufacturing out in Moxee, Washington fabricates these clamp on's for many people, including gearmore I believe.

So, here's another question....Just how stupid is it to use a FEL as a man-lift? I have these windows to install on the second floor. The thought involves building a very sturdy "cage" with side rails and all...then raise it with the loader (and me and a window inside). I can drop the loader safety arms and even place a pole underneath for additional safety...in the event of hydraulic blowout or something.

I'm sure this is one of those stupid things you should never do that happens probably frequently... ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-06          42090

While the loader is not a manlift, and should never be considered as such, it is a dailey occurance for one to be used in that manure. I have not heard of any fatality in my area that was the fault of the FEL.

In other words............No........don't do that! (I do it all the time) ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-06          42096

Mr.E, is there a Freudian slip in the manure thing?? ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
Murf

2002-09-06          42102

Bruce, there are three main problems with using a loader as a man-lift. 1) unless you have a self-levelling bucket loader there is a constant adjustment required to keep the platform level, unless you are VERY proficient with your machine this is VERY difficult to do, 2) all tractors have a center-pivoting front axle which makes them inheriently more unstable as the loader goes up and the balance shifts, and 3) it is just not a SAFE thing to do! Best of luck. ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-07          42117

I guess that part of being adult is understanding and accepting risks that are present in almost everything. Fortunately, accidents are complex and therefore fairly rare events, but cylinder hoses do blow, tractors get bumped into gear, cruse controls stick, operators pull the wrong handle etc.

Maybe I'm more risk adverse than many, but I did mop floors in a VA hospital around the aftermath of many accidents. People adjust to becoming permanently disabled because a ladder rung broke, spend months in traction from a fall etc.

I think I’d want to avoid the risks of riding on a loader. In addition to the things Murf mentioned, the controls on tractors are just too exposed and the hydraulics don't feather well enough. The controls on a cherry-picker are operated by the person in the bucket, not the driver. A person on a tractor really can't see where the bucket is, especially when it's lifted.

I bought a set of stabilizing arms for my extension ladder awhile back. They also hold the top of the ladder out from a wall. I finally used them recently and found them very good. I think I like these risks better.

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
Peters

2002-09-07          42125

This is a little risky even if you are in a cage on a fork lift. I worked in a large plant and once a year we had to do inventory in acres of warehouse. Every employee was needed for about 2-3 days to complete.
The plant had built special cages to set on the fork trucks. Workmans compensation required that the cages be chained to the forks to prevent the fork operator dumping the cage. At a minimum this would be a good idea.
It might be cheaper to rent a picker though and safer depending on the height.
Peters ....

Pallet Forks Slip on

View my Photos
dbliss

2002-11-14          44995

I have some slip on forks and do it all the time. You are really restricted to the amount of weight. I can lift about 10 sheets of 3/4" plywood 13' with my loader. I can work off of it but I have to do it fast. THe hydrolics leak past the valves. If I am just working off of I I put them on my boomer and the loader stays there. If you are worried about getting hurt you best stay home on the porch with the little dogs.
Dave ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login