Go Bottom Go Bottom

Montana curved-arm loader will it fit New Holland

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-02          133920

I saw a Montana CUT about the same size as my NH TC33D (33hp) that had a FEL with curved loader arms seemingly identical to the late-model NH version. Anyone know if they are the same or who makes the loader?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bloggins
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-02          133922

My CASE LX110 curved arm loader is made in Canada and CNH only has one plant in Canada, that being in Saskatoon where they make seed planting machines and sprayers. So, it looks like they out source to some other firm with a Canadian plant. The Aussie LX110 curved arm loader is built in Australia to the same design (this according to the Aussie dealer website). It's a mystery. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-02          133924

On boy, this sounds like a question for Murf. Ezee-On, Leon, Bulher Allied, Frey, JD in Welland, I don't know of anyone making a curved armed loader, but one model of Leon and they only make one loader in their line the M2000 and it is very light. Bulher has the best relations with NH as they manufacture the larger genisis tractors in Blue paint, but they do not sell the Allied loaders with the NH design. Murf? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-05          133964

I can't say for sure, but the rumour is they are being made by Buhler, it would make sense since there are a lot of Ag. manufacturers up here, but very few with the engineering and production capabilities of Buhler.

I'm told they are being made under contract, the terms of which forbid Buhler from selling them directly, as Allied, they're own brand, but they are allowed to sell them to other OEM companies.

I'm also told BTW, that a certain off-shore CUT bearing these FEL's is being imported by a company owned by one of the "big boys" an interesting twist if true.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-09-05          133966

Is there any advantage to the curved arm loaders over the boxier style other than looks and maybe visibility? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-05          133969

Ken, it is a combination of two things, IMHO.

First, esthetics and sales BS, they claim better visibility, etc., but not having ever been on a machine so equipped I cannot say much about this part.

Secondly, strength, since the curved beam is not available as an extruded tube like a conventional FEL is made from, the beams are fabricated by welding 4 pieces of cut plate steel into a curved box beam. This means they can avoid the traditional gusseted joint between two seperate pieces of tube in a 'normal' FEL.

While this second point is true, it is also misleading, again IMHO, since the strength of a FEL is almost always FAR in excess of whatever forces the machine under it can introduce into it. The exception being something like a dead weight being dropped into the bucket, or hitting something while making a charge into something. In every case where I have seen a FEL damaged from either of these actions, it was NEVER the joint which bent, it was always the longer main tube which racked. IMHO, a single longer curved tube would be even more likely, if they were of equal strength, to bend under an over-stress situation.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-05          133974

Murf; Not being a mechanical engineer, is there not an inherent greater strength in the arch rather than the box beam? I guess I should learn more about finite element analysis. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2006-09-05          133975

I've always been told that the curved beam loaders have greater visibility. Yea, they are stuck way out in front of the front tires. I'm told they do not have the same (actual) lift capacity although they are rated the same. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-05          133977

Eric, a curve or circle is one of the strongest shapes in nature, witness an egg shell, or the famous Roman Arch.

But in this case it is not so much the strength of the curved beam vs the straight beam, it is elimination of a joint, which is typically a weak spot.

However, as I stated earlier, they add so much steel to the joint, that it ends up actually being stronger than the plain tubes it is joining.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-09-05          133978

Murf: For clarity, extruded steel tubing is referred to as "seamless" or "DOM" (drawn over mandrel). This stuff is very expensive. Aluminum tubing is typically extruded too since it's easy to melt and form. From my experience, what is used for loaders is the typical and commonplace "welded seam" which starts as flat sheet formed with rollers.

The Montana curved arms I saw were bent, welded-seam tubing. From a design amd build standpoint, the mfg's are saving huge tool and die costs, not to mention simplified assembly. I think it's pretty cool actually. Curved arms ahve been around since the 50's---I've seen some on 8N's made in Ohio. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-05          133980

Murf; That was my point for the same dimension of tubing would not the curved tube be stronger than the straight tube, which is the weak point in a standard loader, as you stated. Aren't most loaders bent from asymetric loads on one corner of the bucket? Would the curve beam accomidate for this?

EW Could they use hydroforming to get a complex curve that might be closer to the tractor? Would the hydroformed tube be stronger, as they hype on the trucks or is it just hype? ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-09-05          133986

When I work for the dealership we got most of our loaders right from the manufacturer. It was caller ??? fabricating and welding. It was not any thing I had ever heard of. I can not for the life of me remember the first part of the name. I looked at the Montana loaders before and though VERY similar there are some little differences. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-05          133994

I believe they were built in Ontario where a ag college is as the name I can't remember but not but a couple of hours from Buffalo as they have changed venders for the big tractors recently. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-09-05          133996

Guelph? I don't now of a manufacturer there. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-09-05          133997

Thats the place. I thought Murf would have had that one first. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-09-06          134012

Sorry Art, I don't work evenings anymore. LOL.

Guelph is definitely where the Ag University is, the University of Guelph.

Or as we used to refer to it, the U. of Goo....

There are many manufacturers in that area, but I can't think of who would be making those loaders. I'll call around and ask.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login