Go Bottom Go Bottom

LOOKING FOR IDEAS TO SOLVE PROBLEM

View my Photos
DrV
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-11          122576

I have a dumpster that is 2" smaller than my loader bucket I would like to be able to use my bucket to smash or compact the trash in the dumpster, but of course it won't fit. So I have been trying to come up with a way to do this either something light weight (bad back) I can throw on top and push down on or something I can quickly and easily mount on bucket to push down with. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Happy New Year and Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
grassgod
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-11          122580

a set of clamp on bucket forks would do the trick & you can get them used & fairly cheap on ebay. I use my backhoe to compact dumpsters simply because it can do a better job packing the garbage down. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-11          122586

Based on past exerience, you can't compress something with the bucket on a FEL very well. If you want to achieve much in the way of a reduction in volume you need big pressures.

If you do the rough calcs, as an example, a bucket that is 72" wide and 26" deep has a surface area of 1872 squre inches on the bottom. If you were able to completely lift the front of the tractor off the ground, and exert say, even as much as 4,000 pounds on the FEL, you would still only create a little over 2 psi on the contents of the dumpster. That wouldn't do squat.

If you want to achieve compaction, get either a proper hydraulic compactor, or a big flail style chipper.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-01-11          122587

I use my FEL to compact loads in the dump trailer but I have to point it straight down and use the cutting edge for it to do any good.

Can you get a cross-ways to the dumpster and fit the edge in corner to corner?

View my Photos
Murf

2006-01-11          122589

I made a conversion kit up for a friend of my Dad's, it converts his logsplitter into a trash compactor.

It works quite well at reducing the volume of material.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
regniflow

2006-04-03          127054

The clamp-on bucket forks work well. Even better is the trash forks that you drive you tractor into and tighten the mounting bolts. They have multiple forks and do a great job. Try paynesforks.com for some neat stuff. ....

View my Photos
regniflow

2006-04-03          127055

I weld three hooks across the back of my loader bucket for lifting. By doing that you could get a large steel beam that would fit you application and use chains to secure it to the bucket. The hooks are great for picking up heavy implements, I catch the machine over the front of the bucket and chain it at the top to one of the hooks.(usually the center one) ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-03          127082

Take a 55 gal drum, cut in half (be sure you raise it high enough to clear dumpster) fill it with cement, embedd a couple of eye hooks in cement, connect FEL with short chain to barrel and use it to hammer compress. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2006-04-03          127085

Just a couple added comments:

With the cutting edge pointed striaght down, you will be limited in how much compaction you can get before you bottom out on the arms.

Be careful of the "clamp on" forks if you have a lightweight or non-reinforced bucket. Those clamp on forks put a nasty reaction on the cutting edge of the bucket. The reaction imposed at the cutting edge is the load multiplied by the difference in the center of gravity of the load and the distance to the back pad of the forks. In some cases, that can be as much as three times the load you are picking. My neighbor has an ugly belly in his cutting edge. Check out the forks carefully. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-03          127110

Beagle
Dig a hole in the ground that will accomodate what ever weight you prefer 60lbs bags of concrete X number of bags. Make the hole the size of your trash container. install two lift points above top of the hole and fill with concrete. Bent over rebar works well for lift points. When your are finished with your new compactor store it in the hole. Lift with your FEL and compact.

Just my thoughts ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-04          127140

SG8

Always has to be a smarter ass in every crowd... Your idea is better than Drum idea...hummmmmm OK! fine if my wife lived there she would hit those bent over rebars with the mower deck and not even be aware she did it......smile
Great idea tho...... Yes! really better than mine, cuz not everyone has access to a drum...
Problem solved.. NEXT..... ....

View my Photos
beagle

2006-04-04          127141

Thanks SG, but it's not my compactor. I think the ideas got shared to the right folks. ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-04          127185

wingwiper
Please explain how you get your wife to mow the lawn, if I did that I would need to own a mower repair shop. I had seen those plastic molds that you pour concrete in to make stones and have used them. If you dig what ever size hole (from brick size to boulder) you can form great looking rocks or stepping stones, and none will be the same. If you make the boulder use the rebar or it will just be a hole full of concrete.

Beagle
sorry, I got caught up in the moment. ....

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-04          127193

SG

Bribery.......... Works everytime...

View my Photos
wingwiper

2006-04-04          127194

Sg

How do you color the cement to look like rocks? I have two walls to do this summer and your idea is sounding extremely good. I have plenty of rocks but they are mostly round and of assorted width etc, your idea gives me complete control of size as weill as flat top and bottom, I need to know about coloring...
Thanks. Great damn idea. Wow! a tractor site solved my Wall problem...unreal, far-out, heavy duty, right on, power to the people.... ....

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-04-04          127196

wingwiper
you can make the top rounded, pointed or whatever. At most hardware stores you can get the color to add to the concrete and then touch it up with spray paint. I have used a brush to add dark areas and stains. When it weathers it looks great. Leave some holes in the boulder and you can add small plants depends on the size of the hole. The flat bottom makes it look like it is just the end of the rock sticking out of the ground. Down here real boulders are around $300 starting out. Concrete is $2.50 a bag. I try not to make projects a mission any more I leave that to the wife. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login