Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic Line Reconnect Issue

View my Photos
willhughes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-12-05          120459

I thank everyone for their advice to my prior post on hooking and unhooking the loader on my 3120. I managed to get it unhooked and rehooked without having to leave the thing sitting in my back yard pending a call to the JD dealer. My only mechanical problem was driving the tractor back on the loader a bit crooked / cockeyed and once the masts settled on the posts with a big clang, all was well. The problem was really before that and is why I am writing for advice. I had a real time hooking the hydraulic lines back up. It was all I could do to get the lines reconnected due to the pressure (I think) in the lines from the loader without having to drain hydralic fluid. Before I unhooked lines, I moved the control bar up and down and side to side to release any pressure just like the book said. I did do something wrong on reconnecting the lines though. The diagram on the post shows a particular sequence (not in the book's instructions by the way) on how to reconnect the lines. Naturally, I didn't see this until I had already started reconnecting the lines out of sequence, so maybe this was my problem. Does anyone have any advice as to why it was so hard to hook the lines back up? Hydralic pressure is tremdous. It was much easier to mow without the FEL. Next time I won't be too afraid assuming I don't have to worry about a potential heart attach to rehook the hydralic lines.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jimbrown

2005-12-05          120460

I do not know about your JD but on my Kubota the FEl backhoe ect all have a male and a female disconnect. I always connect them togther when I remove one and have never had a problem reconnecting them. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-05          120462

The pressure can increase either due to temperature changes (colder to warmer will increase pressure) or because things settle a bit after the loader is parked. You should equalize pressure both before parking the loader and before hooking it back up. If it's too tight you can crack the quick connects a bit with a wrench to let the fluid dribble out a little. Be careful when releasing pressure, you don't want a high pressure spray to touch you. It can penetrate your skin and cause major medical problems. ....

View my Photos
willhughes

2005-12-05          120464

My FEL has 4 male connectors, and 4 female receptacles on the tractor. I took it off in the a.m. and it sat out in the afternoon, so maybe it heated the hydraulic fluid up. I was thinking maybe my failure to use the right sequence had something to do with things since I the last line I tried to connect was the one that gave me the problem. Thanks for the tips. ....

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-05          120470

Before you disconnect the Loader, with the machineOFF move the joystick several times in all directions. You will notice the Loader "seetling" as you move the stick. When you don't notice any more movement, disconnect the lines. Unless it is exposed to direct sun, or sits for long periods of time, you shouldn't have any trouble re-connecting. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-06          120502

Your late post said it sat in the sun before you hooke dit up. That can make a difference in the compared to the cool of the morning. I unhook/hook mine up in my shop so it' snot exposed to the sun. Not everyone has this luxury. I suspect the heating from the sun was your issue.

Now isn't mowing without the loader so much better? You do have to get lined up decently to get the loader back on. One issue I have is my concrete pad is higher than the surrounding dirt. So it's best if I can get the front wheels onto the concrete pad, else the loader doesn't like to fully seat. Makes from some issues until I get it to work. ....

View my Photos
hugheswill

2005-12-06          120509

It was a lot better mowing w/o the heavy loader, I could get around the fence much better and it was a lot faster. In fact, I didn't mind driving it the mile down the road to fill er up with diesel as much either.

I have a concrete shaded area that I can use to hook & unhook which is much flatter by the way. How bad is the hooking & unhooking on the concrete? Does it mess up the conrete a lot? ....

View my Photos
hugheswill

2005-12-06          120510

PS - I did let the loader settle by moving the joystick around. I always do this before parking the tractor in the garage in addition to dropping (not as fast as the first time) the 3 pt attached mower. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-06          120530

I've dismounted the loader on an exposed aggregate concrete surface and there was some damage when aggregate scraped away. A non-aggregate slab would probably escape any damage. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-07          120599

My concrete slab is not an agregate surface. There isn't any problems that I saw as long as you are careful. If you ram the tractor in there and shove the loader forward, then you will get scrapes in the concrete. I've had to do that once or twice due to the differening levels of the floors. If I have room, I shove the loader more forward on my concrete pad and then it works fine. When I get cheap on space, I run into issues and then I have to shove it forward which puts scrape marks in the concrete. Blame the user, not the unit. ....

View my Photos
Ym1110d

2005-12-09          120762

As brutal as it may be, we have traditionally used a hammer to releave the pressure. Some couplers will allow a small face hammer to hit the coupler and release the pressure. Sometimes we need to use a "drift" of sorts. Usually the hammer and drift are what ever implements are handy. ie a stick and a rock. You basically need to depress the face of the coupler to release the pressure. The better quality couplers will allow connection to be made under residual pressure. Please don't forget that residual pressure can also exist on the tractor side. ....

View my Photos
hugheswill

2005-12-09          120763

I don't feel so bad now. I don't know if it helped, but I hit the face of the male end on the post where the masts go, it has a little tit on it that retracts into the male end of the coupler and a little bit of hydraulic fluid spurted out all over me and my glasses. Maybe this was enough relief to get it seated into the female / tractor end. I didn't let much out. It was the first time the FEL was off of the tractor. Anyway, since I got it back together I'll muster up some courage and take it apart again sometime. I figure dropping the 3-point finishing mower can't be too hard after taking off the FEL. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login