Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loader Hooking Up and Unhooking

View my Photos
willhughes
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-04          117365

I purchased a 3120 with a FEL and was wondering if more experienced hands might give me some direction. I mainly use the tractor for mowing but do have some dirt to move. The deere website makes taking a loader on and off look too easy. I tried and chickened out halfway in between because I was afraid to be stuck with a detached FEL on my driveway. I was wondering if folks typically take off the FELs or usually leave them on. Most of my neighbors who have Kubotas leave them on all the time. It looks like it would be hard to get the loader on right if you took it totally off since it has to be hooked onto the weight bar at the front. I havn't tried it yet, but the RFM looks easy to get on and off, the FEL looks to be a challenge. I only have 8 hours on the tractor thus far, so am somewhat far down on the learning curve. Thanks for any advice

Will

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-04          117368

I have a belly mower on a Kubota with quick release FEL. I was lazy and wanted to mow the lawn with it on so I could move some dirt later. With that set up I tried mowing a side hill that I mow regularly and felt real uncomfortable. So I took it off.

With your RFM I thnk you will probably be OK with the loader on, unless you don't like the visibility and or long length you will have.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-04          117369

If you drop it on a level area it is a snap. The toughest part is reconnecting the lines on my 955. I would mow all the time with the 750 and the FEL, but remove it to mow with the 955. Once you get accustomed to it, it takes about 2 minutes to drop and maybe 5 max to reconnect. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2005-10-05          117395

Go out in the back yard where you do not have an audiance. The biggest obstical is pressure in the lines. The connectors are close together and big hands seem to be an issue, mabe its the arthritius also. Mine comes off for mowing all the time. I try to keep tractor as light as possible so the steers do not scuff up the manicured look ;-) of my yard. Actually it for clearance mowing around stuff.

The worst problem I've had so far is one of the lines bleed down while the loader was off and I could not get back under it. It was in a tight spot, I ended up dragging it out in the open where I could get beside it hook up the hoses and git it back in the air so I could get under it. ....

View my Photos
willhughes

2005-10-05          117401

Appreciate the great advice. The length is an issue mowing in corners plus visibility mowing at night since the FEL struts block the headlights. I think my problem was everybody watching me fumble around and I put the bucket on a short pallet to keep it from scuffing up the concrete driveway. I'll give it another shot when I have more time. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2005-10-05          117403

Another simpler option that may be helpful would be to just drop the bucket off. The bucket is real easy to drop off by just pulling a few release pins. This won't do a great deal about the added weight of the FEL but should reduce your overall length. I agree that the tractor is much more manueverable and much less top heavy on slopes with the FEL removed. With practice, I think you will become more comfortable with removing and installing it. For the most part, I find that I leave my FEL on while cutting as I end up using it to push bush, rocks, and small trees out of the way. Ideally, I would like to be able to leave it off as it sure does make the tractor much more adept at maneuvering in tight spaces and weight distribution is much better. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-10-05          117405

2ndHandLion is on to a very good point.

That's what we do most of the time, in fact I rarely have the bucket on the FEL at home unless I'm actually using it.

The vast majority of the time I use the FEL only as a 'strong back' and so just leave my utility plate on the machine. It doesn't block the lights or visibility as much as a bucket does. It can be seen in my pictures.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
willhughes

2005-10-05          117406

Thanks for the great advice. I looked at some of the posts here and you all have a lot of great tips on tractoring, especially safety issues. The not so little tractors are fun, but I can see where they can get to be really dangerous if you aren't watching where you are going and what you are doing.

View my Photos
dieselpusher

2005-10-05          117408

I have a Case IH DX33 and depending on what I am doing, I may take the loader off once or twice a day. It takes 2-3 minutes to remove and about the same to reinstall. ....

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2005-10-05          117412

I would second what 2ndHandLion and Murf have said. I also, leave the arms on, but drop the bucket off for mowing. Not having the weight of the bucket hanging out there makes a big difference. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-05          117418

I've got a 4310 and the loader is off most of the time in Summer. I put on when I need it and then pull it off right away. I have a 72" mid-mount mower so having the loader off is really nice. I have to maneuver around trees, landscaping, hills, fences, etc. So having the loader off is best for me. It goes on and off in a snap.

I drop my loader on a concrete pad in my shop. I haven't had any problems with leakdown, but it's pretty new yet. I was timid at first and didn't have anyone watching me. So I took my time. Once I took it off and put it on once, I was like "this is so easy, sweet!!"

That's my story and I'm sticking too it. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2005-10-05          117435

Call your salesman and tell him your concerns and he would probably sent some one out to walk you through it at no charge. Especially since they should have done that before you took delivery. ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2005-10-08          117546

I, too, was worried about dropping the loader on my 2210. The video looked too easy!! But I find that after a few times I can do it quickly and easily. The only problem I ran into the first time was not taking pressure off the lines before un-hooking them. As a result I had two connections that I could not get back on because of pressure build up. I wound up just loosening the fitting to bleed a bit of fluid and then everything was OK. It hasn't happened since - a rookie error I figure.

I dropped my loader in the "back yard" recently on uneven ground. That was a chore to get it lined up again. Next time it will only be flat and level ground for me.

Dropping the loader after running with it for so long makes my unit feel like a sports car!!

B. Meyer ....

View my Photos
regniflow

2006-04-03          127056

I have an older tractor that does not have a quick release. I fabricated longer tapered bucket pins to aid me in taking the bucket off. That said, I have bought a quick release unit that is used on a skid loader. They will make them for any unit. Once I install it I will just weld the adapter plate on to my existing bucket. I would then be able to also use skid loader implements. I am dragging my feet on getting this thing done, but will soon get on it. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-03          127063

Another newbie question on the topic: should I expect to loose some hydraulic fluid while unhooking the hoses, or is there some valve to prevent that from happening. I have the LA402 FEL.

bmeyer, you wrote you had to release the pressure in the lines to facilitate FEL installation. Is that a JD specific issue or should I expect the same thing with a Kubota loader. If so, how would I go about releasing the pressure? Thanks! ....

View my Photos
bmeyer

2006-04-03          127068

Horse Farmer, I only have that problem in the spring after I detach my snow blower and reattach my loader. It happened last year on two hose and this year on one hose. I suspect that over the winter the unit "settles" a bit from standing idle. As a result i bit of pressure builds up in the arms and results in "back pressure" that does not allow the little pin on the male connector to recess for hook up.

All I need to do is get two wrenches and back off the connector until a few drops seep from it, then the pin works. I tighten things up and off I go.

I'm not sure if this is common or not. THe guys at my Deere dealer told me of the fix the first time I encountered it. They made it sound like it was not unsual on any hydraulics that stand around. During the season my loader goes on and off with no problem.

As for fluid leaking on connecting the hoses - I find I get a few drops, not much more. A paper towel in one hand gets it all easily.

Best wishes.

Berland ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-03          127069

thanks a lot! sounds easy enough. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-03          127072

Even changes in shade and sunshine will heat up the fluid and cause hook-up problems.

Your sump holds 4-5 gallons and you might lose a teaspoon of fluid every time you hook and unhook.

To put this in better perspective, when I cycle my log splitter it pulls nearly a gallon of hydraulic fluid completely out of the tractor. Same happens to a lesser extent when you cycle the loader or any hydraulic tool.

There is a lot of extra capacity built into the system. ....

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-04-03          127075

so as long as I know where the dip stick is, I should be OK. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-04-03          127077

Yup. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login