Go Bottom Go Bottom

Replaceable Cutting Edge - 54 Bucket

View my Photos
Green MT Jim
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-12-05          101651

I have a JD 4110 with a 54" bucket. The bucket is getting beat up due to plowing 300' + gravel drive. I want to get the Replaceable Cutting Edge from JD. However, I learned that it is only available for 61" and larger buckets. Can I get the 61" and have it cut? Also I would have to drill through the bucket. Is that an easy task?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-05          101662

GM Jim; Drilling holes in a bucket cutting edge is all but imposible, there made of good hard steel. Any good weld shop can cut out the old edge, shorten the 61 incher and weld it back in place of the old one and with a can of spray paint you'll hardly notice it's ever been done. I've had this done on bigger farm tractor size loader buckets a couple times that got worn out scraping manure off of concreet feed lot floors. Beat of luck. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Green MT Jim

2004-12-05          101667

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate your time. Not what I has hoping to hear, but I always get good sound advise from the message board. ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-06          101675

If you are going to go the welding shop route, let them do it all. They will proabaly have some scrap A/R or harder stuff laying around from other projects and you'll get it for a fraction of a green cutting edge. ....

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-07          101772

Since you are in Vermont you should be able to find some snowplow/cutting edge faily easy. I went to the local Fisher
snowplow supply and bought a piece of Hardened cutting edge
for $10.00 per foot, 1/2 in thick. Had the Machine shop punch holes every 8" or so. Sq. holes, then tapered to receive the recessed cutting edge bolt with a sq. shoulder.
I too thought the factory edge was going to be tough to drill as Frank said, but to my surprise I sailed right through with a new 1/2 " bit and a 3/4 drill, and some oil. I did drill a 1/4" pilot hole first.
I clamped the edge on the bucket first to punch mark my holes.
Simple job really,I also let the new edge extend beyond the bucket an inch on both ends to take the abuse.
Try a snowplow repair shop.
Good luck! ....

View my Photos
beagle

2004-12-07          101774

hardwood, unless Kubotas are different, I drilled two 5/8" holes in my cutting edge without much trouble. I expected more of a fight than the cutting edge could put up. Started with a 3/8" hole and progressed up from there. The edge is not made of tool steel. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-12-07          101781

beagle; I guess I should have drilled before I spoke. The cutting edges I tried to drill weren't Deere the were on a Westendorf WL 42 loader with an 8 ft. bucket, so I just assumed they were all that hard. This was 20 yrs. ago, bits are much better today too. Also maybe that's why the cutting edge allways broke in half about halfway across the bucket because it was too hard. Frank. ....

View my Photos
nvlong4n1

2004-12-19          102550

You could purchase a bolt on wearblade. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
nvlong4n1

2004-12-19          102551

You could purchase a bolt on wearblade. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
beagle

2004-12-19          102564

Several who use their loader for plowing have discussed a blot on "slit" piece of pipe over the cutting edge of the bucket. I haven't done this since I use a blade to plow, but you can probably find some discussion about it in the archives. It also has the advantage of keeping the bucket from gouging the gravel. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login