Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined

View my Photos
skipll
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-09-18          184944

Can someone please explain the difference between a cat 1 & cat 2 hitch.
THANKS

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-09-18          184946

SkipII,

The 3-point hitch comes in 5 different sizes, numbered from Zero (0) to Four (4). The only differences between them are the dimensions of the triangle and the diameter of the three connecting pins.

The lower lift arms on a three point cat 1 hitch are 26 inches wide, with the top link being 18 inches above the center line, between the two lower lift arms. The lower lift pins are 7/8" in diameter, and the top link connecting pin is 3/4" in diameter. The cat 1 hitch is used on tractors from 20-45 horses.

A cat II hitch is 32 inches wide. I believe the top link is located 24" above the center line between the two lower lift pins, but don't quote me on that one. The lower lift pins are 1-1/8" inch in diameter. The top link connecting pin is 1 inch in diameter. The larger CatII hitch is designed for use with tractors ranging from 40-100 horses.

The largest CatIV hitch is MUCH bigger, with a 46" width, 2" lower lift pins, and is rated for tractors ranging from 180-400 horses.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
skipll

2012-09-19          184947

Thanks for that info candoarms-----I had no idea that there were diff. size hitch's till I read the post by dnsmithnc (post 153609). ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2012-09-19          184948

SkipII,

You may have noticed that there is a small overlapping of horsepower ratings between the different hitch sizes. It is for this reason that many implements are designed for use with either a Cat 1 or Cat II hitch.

Bushings are used over the lift pins on a Cat 1 implement in order to make it possible to use them with Cat II hitches.

I've never seen a Cat IV hitch in person, but many of the farm tractors in my area use the Cat III hitch. These larger hitches are used with row-crop cultivators (Beans and Corn), making it possible to raise the implement at the end of the field, allowing for a much smaller turning radius. The lifting capacity of the Cat III hitch is pretty impressive, as a 16 row cultivator is a very heavy implement.

Joel

View my Photos
Art White

2012-09-22          184985

The three point hitch option on the larger tractors we sell are about the same price as many of the smaller compact tractors we sell!
The bulk of attachments for the larger tractors are tow behind not three point hitch. Most of the equipment used with the larger farm tractors is towed. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-09-25          185010

One thing I have noticed as the hitch size increases normally you find more options in lift arms such as telescoping arms or more quick hitch options. Makes since for while you may move a light landscape rake in Cat 1 size that 1,000 plus piece different story. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2014-04-03          189912

I have a 2003 Kubota B7800 (Cat 1 hitch). A probably around 2005 I bought a 4' King Kutter II tiller and a sub-soiler. With the hitch pins points outward, they require the lower arms to spread 33.25" which wasn't a problem. A friend needed my tiller more than I did, so I sold it to him. He has a 2013 Kubota L3200, a little bigger & heavier than the B7800. When we went to hitch it up, the lower arms wouldn't spread far enough to hitch with the points out, so we had to flip them. This article lists the official dimensions of a cat 1 hitch as 26" wide.

My sub-soiler measures 32.5" tip to tip with points out, and he wants to borrow it. The design doesn't allow it to be switched to "points in".

Have 3 point implement widths or tractor lower arm maximum widths changed in the last 10 years?

Does anyone know the "specified" maximum width of lower arms on a L3200?

I know I usually see implements on the dealer lot with points in, but assumed that was for safety walking around them, and to save space for shipping. Are implements usually used points in or points out? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-04-04          189913

My guess is there is issue with the stabilizers either one or both. I would be sure he has both released for full swing of the lift arms. I do not know the type of stabilizers on that tractor but if the telescoping style on my two Kubota's there could be one is bent or a bolt or such in one that limits it full travel. kt ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-04-04          189918

JParker,

The lower lift arms on the L3200 should easily spread wide enough to make contact with the rear tires.

As Kthompson pointed out, the inner stabilizer arms are more than likely preventing the lower lift arms from spreading to the maximum width.

Hope this helps.

Joel

View my Photos
JParker

2014-04-07          189985

Thanks for the input.

I went over to friends house Saturday and we got everything hooked up & tilled, but the L3200 definitely can't spread the lower arms as far as the B7800 series. This L3200 has telescoping stabilizers that hit the tire long before the lower arms would. The B series has the turn-buckle style stabilizers, and I think they are mounted closer to the main body, thus reducing the tire interference. This machine also has a backhoe bracket that may have something to do with the connection point location. I added photo 10 in my profile showing the connections. I recommended he replace the standard cotter pin with a pull pin, so the stabilizer can be temporarily removed if necessary for attaching an implement. We also discussed some quick attachment options since that should save about 7" in width, not having to go outside the ends of the pins. ....

View my Photos
JParker

2014-04-07          189986

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-04-07          189989

JParker,

This was the best photo I could find. You might be able to see something more in this picture than I'm able to.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8199791

I hope that link takes you directly to the photo of the rear hitch. If not, scroll through the photos at the listing I posted above.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kvinodkumar
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-11-07          191350

Today, at an International Agri Exhibition at Kerala, India, the knowledgeable demonstrator of a 15 HP, 4 WD minitractor said that it supports Category 1N attachments. I worked out that it has something to do with the 3 point hitch (confirmed later by the post by candoarms in this thread). But the demonstrator also said that Category 1N specifies the hydraulic power shaft coming from the tractor and connected to the attachment. This makes sense as attachments like backhoe or even rotavator are not simple pull along, but need power and controls. On the minitractor at the exhibition, I saw 4 or 5 levers for hydraulic control.

Has Category 1 been hitch-hiked to handle power shaft specs between the tractor and the attachment?

cheers
k vinod kumar ....

View my Photos
kvinodkumar

2014-11-08          191358

Please see the hitches and linkages between a rotovator and the mini-tractor (picture link). The triangle hitch points are at the ends of the two black connectors at the bottom and the white hydraulic piston at the top. The lower two black linkages have hydraulic pistons, two each.

The yellow power shaft, between the two black linkages, is the subject of my question. Is this a part of the Category 1N specifications? If yes what exactly does it specify for the power shaft other than the position? Will Cat 1N specify the rpm, torque and power of the shaft please?

cheers ....

Link:   Picture of category 1N implement connected to mini-tractor

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-11-08          191360

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvinodkumar | view 191350
Has Category 1 been hitch-hiked to handle power shaft specs between the tractor and the attachment?cheersk vinod kumar

I think it just means that it is a Narrow tractor and may not be able to take standard width Category 1 implements. ....

View my Photos
kvinodkumar

2014-11-11          191394

I guess that N in Cat 1-N does not mean Narrow. Please see a fresh link to picture of the Cat 1-N Three point hitch (Earlier link was not accessible). The width of the tractor is 915 mm. The rear tyres are 6.5 X 16. Does it not mean that the two tyres together are 13 inches wide (or about 320 mm)? So the gap between the rear tyres is about 600 mm or 24 inches. The two black lower hitch connectors are spaced slightly more than 24 inch apart and it nicely matches the 26 inch spec for CAT 1 lower hitch points.

The Kamco tractor (Tera TRAC 4W) is made in technical collaboration with Barbieri Srl- Italy. I could see Tera TRAC 4A at the Barbieri stable but that has 18 HP. The Kamco belts out 13.4 HP. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-11-11          191397

Category 1 N Hitch ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch sizes Defined

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-11-11          191398

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvinodkumar | view 191394
..... So the gap between the rear tyres is about 600 mm or 24 inches. The two black lower hitch connectors are spaced slightly more than 24 inch apart ...

In my view a category 1 Tractor with only 24 inches between the rear tires is a Narrow tractor. Operating Category 1 implements on a Narrow tractor can be hazardous.

Whether the N stands for narrow or not the Cat coding I cannot say, but the tractor you are talking about is narrow in my view. ....

View my Photos
Vetter66

2016-11-27          195964

Thanks, that is what I needed for my 851 Ford, Figured it was a cat 1 but needed to be sure. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2017-04-18          196525

I am also under the impression that the "N" is for narrow but have never even touched a N classed tractor. If it is a Narrow class tractor then it most likely narrow class in the lift specs. But even it not a narrow class tractor the size and type of tires can affect the between the tire clearance and then if they tires are pulled in all the way or not.

On my B2710 it has the sliding stabilizers and I do use pull pins on it and my lift arms and not the stabilizers are what hit the tires. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login