Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
SierraPete45
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-11          156012

What do you think of this for mowing around a pond?http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_757532_757532

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-11          156014

I am also working on solution to cut around pond. For my use the negatives or concerns are:
How large of material will it cut?
How much an angle will the engine run on?
How far past the tire of the tow vechile does it extend?

I do like the cutter extends past the wheels so it cuts past the wheels.

Might work fine if you have lawn type grass and no major slopes to cut. kt ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-11          156015

Couldn't open that site but Swisher (also sold at Northern) makes a motorized tow mower that's designed to be offset (in order to mow along a fence). That amount of offset wouldn't be quite enough to keep the tractor on solid ground, but you could increase it. ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
SierraPete45

2008-08-11          156018

Click the "Link: Click Here" ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
Chief

2008-08-11          156020

In the long run, spraying Round Up from an ATV mounted sprayer works best on fence rows. Mowing around a pond with anything unless the ground is very smooth and level is a real challenge. I am dealing with this issue on both pond and fence rows. Tractor Supply sells a nice 25 gallon ATV sprayer that also comes with a spray wand to touch up fence and pond side areas. Round Up is not such a big issue around ponds especially if a little care is taken when spraying. 2-4-D is another story. ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-11          156021

Chief, do you know if Roundup is approved for use IN a pond?

There are a few chemicals that are approved for pond use. Used one this spring that killed much quicker than Roundup would but cost twice or more. Not sure it killed the plant or only the leaves. kt ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-11          156022

I was supposed to click where it said "click here"? Duh.

No. String trimmers have their advantages -- but you don't need any of them for that application, and the cutting width will frustrate you. You could get a ground-driven reel mower that you could hitch offset, but that wouldn't be ideal for your application either. I'd go with a towable rotary mower that has its own small motor. You could devise a hitch with more offset than Swisher's, which is designed just to keep the tractor wheels away from a fence, not away from boggy ground. And you could replace the stock tires with flotation ones. ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-12          156038

Quote:
Originally Posted by auerbach | view 156022
You could devise a hitch with more offset than Swisher's, which is designed just to keep the tractor wheels away from a fence, not away from boggy ground. And you could replace the stock tires with flotation ones.

You probably would have to move one set of wheels inside the cutting area so you can cut all the way to water's edge. kt ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
Murf

2008-08-12          156044

These types of mowers are designed with no lateral flexibility at all, if you are cutting around a pond the ground must be a uniform flat slope or the mower will be so far up in the air it won't cut a thing.

For spraying near an area like a pond the simplest solution is to use a curtain type setup that will prevent the spray from getting to the water itself. We have to deal with this constantly on golf courses and in parks.

Best of luck. ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
SierraPete45

2008-08-12          156046

Thank you all for your Sage advice. You have been very helpful. ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
crunch

2008-08-13          156063

Anyone ever consider a sickle bar mower? I have heard it mentioned once on a similar subject but there was no response. These were very useful to farmers in the past for mowing under trees and around ponds, ditches. Does anyone use them any more? ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-13          156065

A sickle-bar would work, there are tons of used ones around, and it would be nice to use the PTO. But they're designed for brush, and I pictured this application being more refined. And the models I've seen are fitted to a specific full-size tractor; they're not quite as universal as other rear attachments. ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-13          156066

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunch | view 156063
Anyone ever consider a sickle bar mower?I have heard it mentioned once on a similar subject but there was no response.These were very useful to farmers in the past for mowing under trees and around ponds, ditches.Does anyone use them any more?

I had very similar questions recently and think it was Hardwood but if not someone who I respected suggest that also. He also suggested one with it's weight on it's own wheels. For my pond think it would work fine, my problem is I have some ditches that I don't think they will work in. Either due to the depth or the trees that are to keep cutting there as they keep sprouting. A problem for me with them is they just were never that propular here so finding one near is not easy. We had a local company who began making rough cut rotary mowers years ago and guess that is the reason. Still make them and do a good job. kt ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-08-13          156069

FYI, it was Harvey who gave me the suggestion of the sickle bar cutter. I did appreciate it and as I said above knew it was from someone I respected. kt ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
Art White

2008-08-18          156166

There are different companies that make different length sickle bar mowers that we sell for compacts. The biggest thing to repmember when looking at used is to besure they are belt drive and not the older wooden pitman drive! We also have several mowers in the brush hog style as well as flail style that adjust hydraulically out or in, up or down. ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
SierraPete45

2008-08-18          156169

Art,
Could you post some links for information, pictures &/or approx. pricing for "We also have several mowers in the brush hog style as well as flail style that adjust hydraulically out or in, up or down."

Thanks, ....

Mowing around a pond

View my Photos
Art White

2008-08-19          156177

I can surf good but posting links, pic's and the like are a little tough for me being challanged the way I am!

Sickle bar mowers, I did like the Sitrex pricing but they got a little high, We've been with the Gaspardo this year, a 4'9" is about 3260. jswoodhous.com is where we get them from.
Bush hog builds the SM-60 if your tractor is over 6000lbs and you have a cat II hitch. That for the most part puts you into a 70 horsepower chassis as you also need 3200lbs lift on the three point 24 inches behind the pins. The unit slides in and out nearly 32" to go around obstructions. These units are around 7000 depending on how they are set up.
The three point boom mowers will start around 10,000 for about a 3' flail head and will fit a smaller tractor then above. You have a host of companies that build them and they add some value if you also have a few hedges to trim!

For the energetic, husquvarna builds a hover mower that if the grass is kept short enough we have people who use them to mow over the banks of ponds, most people like the price of these units and then they hire someone to operate them! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login