Go Bottom Go Bottom

Post Hole Digger - Was this a good buy

View my Photos
Blueman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-02          146416

I just bought this for $355. Not sure what I will do with a 12" auger, and I will need to get a smaller auger for fence posts. Thoughts?

Link:   3PH post hole digger

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-02          146419

12" auger, small trees, flowers & shrubs? Oh yeah and big fence post! Post with concrete poured around them. You may find a lot of use for a 12" auger. Use carefully. kt

I want to add to the Use Carefully comment I made. If you have never used a post hole digger in root and I would think rocks would be about the same they can and will catch and can be dangerous. Have seen tractor's front end picked up doing such. If getting the auger out is the only problem you are very fortunate. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-02          146421

We use a 12" auger most of the time, while it does make a slightly bigger hole than is required, it also offers a bunch of benefits.

Firstly, no matter where you try to make a hole, sure as the Lord made little green apples, you'll find a rock or six, a bigger hole makes it easier to work them free.

Also, an auger is not in the 'precision instrument' category, a larger hole allows you to move the post around a bit to keep them in a straight line and plumb & true.

Finally, if you need to set the occasional post in concrete or pea gravel the larger hole allows this with ease.

The price sounds pretty good, it looks like a Rhino. Now you just need to make yourself a good stand so you don't blow a gasket getting it on & off the 3pth. If you look at DRankin's pictures I think he has (had?) a picture of a good way to store a PHD.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-02          146428

Blueman you're at the same decision-making point I am. I had a brand new $1000 10" auger that I used only one time before it was stolen. I have a 17" that I don't use anymore. I'm thinking of having the local fabricator buddy torch-cut the flighting down to size to turn it into a 10". Shouldn't cost me more than about $75-100. versus another grand. I'm not too worried if the teeth aren't quite right at the botom--I'll have him adjust and reweld if necessary. ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-10-02          146440

earth,
wouldn't it be cheaper to sell your auger, and buy another auger in the size that you want? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-02          146443

No for several reasons. It uses a HD 2" hex drive which very few mfg's use now--most have gone to a shear-bolt, 2-5/16 or 2" round-type which is what Bobcat-brand and the mini-skid steer loader mfg's use. One can buy a 2" hex-to- round adapter for about $200.

Most guys don't need the extreme duty auger like I have which is rated to drill through asphalt.

It's become and orphan since that size auger was used for installing manufactured home (mobile home) concrete piers where you auger a 42" deep hole and fill it concrete then use cinder blocks to level and support the homes---about 45 piers per home. The State has required the holes be 24" to 36" now so it's obsolete for that purpose---along with 700 or so carboard forms I bought for the work (they became fire kindling.

I also have a 24" auger which I use for trees, pole barn post holes and light pole bases.

What do you think about cutting yours down to size? ....

View my Photos
Blueman

2007-10-02          146445

Personally, I think the 12" will come in handy, and I can probably pick up a 9" or 6" auger for $100 or so, if my dad and I actually determine the need! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login