Go Bottom Go Bottom

Box Blade Use On John Deere Compact Tractors

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-01          146327

I recently purchased a box blade for my 4410 and was wondering if anyone else has been using a box blade with any of the John Deere compact tractors. Any problems of issues with using them? Any broken transmission case rockshaft mounts? etc.?

Reason I am asking is that while doing a search for info. on box blades; I noticed that John Deere no longer lists box blades as an attachment for their compact tractors. This begs the question in my mind..........is this just an administrative oversight or are box blades not authorized or recommended for use with these tractors any longer due to the cast aluminum transmission casings breaking?

I haven't had any problems with breakage but I have not used a box blade yet either. I have read about a number of transmission casings breaking with box blade use.

Any feedback, comment, or suggestions welcome.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-01          146330

I've 'heard' (unconfirmed rumours) that several of my colleagues (mostly in the landscaping trade) have had problems with broken castings, but not related to the use of a box blade. I have not spoken to the owners themselves directly.

In one instance it was a 3pth tree spade that was blamed, in another a power rake, in the third it was a B/H which was deemed to be the culprit.

Although it is again merely what I heard, in 2 of the 3 cases cited the broken casting was fixed under warranty, no questions asked.

I do know that (from an engineering point of view) the use of 3pth ground engaging implements transfer a LOT of stress to the machine, and the design of a CUT (or any other tractor) being what it is, that means the stress gets passed along to the TX case amongst other components.

It could be an instance of engineering down the safety margin to the point where either the line gets crossed in a few cases, or the load gets so close to the line repeatedly that a failure occurs.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-10-01          146343

I've used a Frontier 72" box blade without any trouble so far. Probably not more than 15-20 hours of use on it. My useage has been to regrade some back roads and trails. I've used the rippers to pull through some roots that were probably no more than 2-3" thick max. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2007-10-01          146347

There are still numerous references to box blades on the web site including the link below and the down-loadable owners manuals. Here is a quote from the 3000 series manual:

"Positioning Center Link

MX5212

· For light and medium draft loads: Install center link (A) in bottom hole (B) of mounting bracket. Example of light and medium draft load implements would include a landscape rake.

· For medium and heavy draft loads: Install center link in middle hole (C) of mounting bracket. Example of medium and heavy draft load implements would include a tiller or box blade.

· For very heavy draft loads: Install center link in top hole (D) of mounting bracket. Example of very heavy draft load implements would include a plow or ripper."

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-01          146348

Randy,

The classic photo for Kubota and Deere always seems to be a tractor with a loader and a box scraper. Its like mom and apple pie, though I understand your concern when you thought they were removing the apple pie from the equation.

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-01          146351

Let me clarify by saying that I hear of several CUTs a year with broken cases. It is not brand specific.

The one common denominator though seems to be the experience level of the operator, the less experienced the operator, the higher the likelihood of damage in some form.

One big no-no I see all the time is using a box blade in reverse. The blade is often designed to be used in reverse, but the 3pth is not, the various linkages such as stabilizers and such are often bent and broken as they are designed to take a load in just one direction.

Overall though it seems the FEL is still far and away the biggest offender in the "broken tractor" category.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-01          146353

I know of 2 Deeres in the 4-45 HP both had rear ring and pinion shattering issues. One had a FEL the other was (ab)using a box blade to pull small stumps. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-01          146355

Ouch!! It is amazing the things that people will try to do with a tractor, more so if they are only renting or borrowing it.

In some cases their cleverness helps to keep them out of the genetic gene pool. ;) ....

View my Photos
kleinchris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-01          146364

Chief,
I have a 27 hp JD and aslo a 50 hp JD that both came with Frointier box blades (I did not pick out this equipment.) I had been using the smaller box blade for grading when I decided to try to trade the larger blde in for a grader blade which I did not have- long story short, I wound up with a Cat 2 grader blade that I needed to run off a 27 hp, cat 1 tractor. This was a bunch of extra wieght on the back of the machine, but other than that, it worked great. No bent parts, nothing broken. I was using it for light grading and spreaing crushed limestone. Granted, I could have been more agresive, but I was getting the feeling that it would stall my engine before I did any damage to the 3 point assembly. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-10-01          146402

Anytime there isn't another attachment, backhoe, three pt. mower, etc. on my 4310 the box blade is on if for no other reason than to be ballast for the FEL. I've moved a lot of soil with it but have always been a bit on the work shallow and work slow side. It's not if, but when you catch a rock or root that won't move and you happen to be going a bit too fast that the sudden shock can break things. I personally haven't heard of a Deere or any other color compact being broken for any reason. Deere offers a frame reinforcemnt kit for the 4000 and 4000ten series. I did have one installed on mine as a precaution. I learned about them here on TP. My dealer had never heard of them or knew of any tractor frames that had broken but ordered one for me. I don't remember the cost, but it wasn't bad for a pretty hefty piece of welded steel. I have to agree three point hitches are meant to pull only. My box blade, (Land Pride) has a blade on the rear of the box designed to push with, but I've never used it. With any kind of common sense useage I wouldn't get too concerned about breaking any housings. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-02          146408

Some one has pointed out to do certain work slow because you will hit rock or root. Speed and that sudden stop are not good combos for anything. If you are moving at a slow enough speed to control what is going on and are paying attention to your equipment, you will avoid many problems. Being alert and ready are very important. I have pushed some large loads with box blade but did so slowly and ready when they stopped. Not being in snow country don't they make snow blowers you use backing up? It would seem to some degree the same concerns would be there also. Ok, you have a perfectly flat paved drive and never wonder from it. :) kt ....

View my Photos
Chief

2007-10-02          146412

Frank,

You wouldn't happen to have the part # handy for that frame reinforcement kit would you? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-10-02          146415

I'd be interested too. Randy, I'm not sure if you ever installed that skid plate but if you get the frame reinforcement kit I'd be curious to know if you think it would interfere with the skid plate. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2007-10-02          146418

Ken,

I have not installed the skid plate kit as I still use the MMM from time to time and I wanted to get past this upcoming 400 hour service. I called my friend at the Deere dealer parts dept. and he is looking up the information on the frame reinforcement kit for me. I'll post the part # and cost if and when I get it. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-02          146436

Maybe I'm the odd man out, but being that I use my stuff commercially and I'm not necessarily "easy" or "gentle" with it, I guess I really abuse my boxblade and New Holland (but the difference is MY BLUE is up to the challenge hahahaha).

I haul 24' 8x8's two at a time on it; with one scarifier down, rip 6"-caliper tree stump roots from around the stump, then use the hydraulic toplink to pry it out of the ground; pick up and move heavy equipment trailers around the yard with it; pulled stuck cars off the beach; back into fence posts of all types and use the hyd. top link to pry them out; push 1000 lb. boulders around; oh yeah and I might do some grading with it too. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-10-02          146473

Cheif; The number of the kit is LVB 24795. That is not a part number but a whole goods order number. This number likely won't appear on the parts counter screen, ask a salesperson to bring it up as a whole goods item. The cost was 385.00 + 41.25 shipping. I had the dealer install it, but I can't determine the labor cost because it was part of some other service labor did at the same time. I do recall the service person saying it only took a couple hours to install. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login