Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need a grapple rake for my FEL

View my Photos
Ardician
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-27          106940

I have a lot of brush piles and small logs to move. I am interested in getting a grapple rake type of attachment for my JD 4310 w/20 FEL. I have seen the Bodozer grapple that kwschumm has. Here are my questions: 1. What other options are out there? 2. How much will I have to spend? 3. How do I hook up the hydraulics? 4. How do I control the opening and closing of the jaws? Thanks for your input.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-01          107065

What Ken has is probably one of the best available although there are other brands. The extra line to operate it could be run to an extra remote on the rear of the tractor. ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-07          107485

What controller operates it? Does it come with a joystick or lever that gets mounted somewhere? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-07          107486

It replaces the bucket, and the normal loader joystick raises and lowers it and tilts it. Then you need a third SCV to open and close the jaws. JD supplies those and it's controlled by a lever that mounts in the slot in the right panel next to the seat. I don't know about your 420 loader - does it have a quick attach bucket? ....

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-07          107496

I just finished my kill 2 birds grapple/ fork combo. I don't know if you have welding capabilities, but having forks as well seemed like a good idea. I will use the forks more, no doubt. Pics 15-20 ....

View my Photos
rogermo

2005-03-09          107702

Denwood: Would the fork set up work on 4110. I have a lot of log work that now I cut up small and pick up with bucket, If I had folks and clamp set it would make my life better.

Thanks

Roger ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-10          107730

I am sure it would work maybe a scaled down version since yours is a small frame machine, you don't want to use all the lift cap. on the grapple alone. If you built one like mine, I would build the grapple to match 36 inch or shorter forks, maybe even home made forks for the grapple and real forks at whatever length you choose for pallets etc. I used 42 inch forks and matched the grapple to them. With the sliding rail pallet fork frame, the possible add ons are nice too. The forks come off and I plan on adding a sliding reciever hitch, as well as a carriage with a caster wheel on the front to carry my little wonder leaf blower. I am tired of pushing it around the yard and drive, and a 3 point hitch PTO model is very expensive. What else could be added? A lift boom, a bale spear? The grapple/carraige is very versatile and really kills more than 2 birds. A manufacturing company has even asked me to bring it in for them to look at. ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-10          107755

The 420 FEL does have a quick attach bucket. I have no welding equipment or experience, and really don't have the time to learn, so I will have to buy something. Several grand for one like yours, Ken? Ordinarily, I would just have to make do with the bucket and chain hooks, but I really have alot of work to do clearing brush and debris, and not much free time. Anybody think I would come out better paying a local welder to fabricate something? I'm not looking for bells and whistles or style points, just something that will do the job. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-10          107763

Ardician, perhaps you should consider a grapple add on for your bucket. Check out this site http://www.preseeder.com/attachments/grapple.cfm It may be more cost effective, strong and easy. I will probably add one to my bucket also. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-11          107767

Thanks for the link, Denwood. It looks interesting. I emailed their sales dept. about locating a local dealer. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-11          107773

While the 'add ons' like the one shown are very reasonable in price, and certainly easy to install, in practice they don't work anywhere the same as the forks with grapple do.

The forks go under the brush piles or logs, the bucket sides prevent this for the most part.

Based on our experience you only pick up about 1/3 the material in each bite using a bucket/grapple combination that you would using forks & a grapple. If all you are doing is one tree, or some yard clean-up work around the house it may be all you need, but for any quantity of material it is not the best choice.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-11          107787

Very true about the difference in performance. I based my thoughts on your user profile property. For 5 acres, and not using it commercially or for a huge property, it may be cost effective, and convienent because you will always have the bucket on. ....

View my Photos
WPHill

2005-03-11          107793

Ardician, here are some sites for you to check:
www.rootgrapple.com, www.solesbeesequipment.com, www.attachmentsales.com, www.piranhaatachments.com, www.northamericanattachments.com and Grapple Worx (336) 857-0159. There was a real abundance of grapples in FL right after the hurricaines but now that the clean up is basically done, you can find some good deals. Prices start as low as $975.00 at Grapple Worx. Like some else already said, watch the weight. I ran a Loflin 60 inch on my 3130, and have a buddy who runs a piranha 60 inch on a 4630. The piranha is basically indestructble but very heavy duty. He paid 1,400.00. Good luck ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-12          107831

A lot of the grapple rake attachment manufacturers indicate that their equipment is designed to fit on skid steer equipment, but rarely do they mention CUTs. Is the quick attach feature on my JD 420 FEL compatible with these skid steer attachments? ....

View my Photos
jrestill

2005-03-12          107854

I got the Borgford grapple for my Kubota 3130 after seeing posts here and then checking around. Extremely happy with it. Can't believe what it will do once I developed a little "touch" with operating it. Don't recall exact price (not at location where have receipt), but it was pushing $3,000, including shipping from West Coast to East Coast. My Kubota is set up with the skid steer type quick attach and grapple a piece of cake to hook up with it. The Deere owners would be better source, but from your photo, looks like your bucket is not skid steer type. However, I'll bet the Borgford folks can set you up with whatever could be compatible with your rig. If you can get past the cost going in, I don't think you would be disappointed with their equipment. ....

View my Photos
WPHill

2005-03-12          107857

Ardician, from looking at your pictures it does'nt appear that you have the quick attach on your tractor. Check the link below. That is one place and I'am sure there are a lot of other manufacturers. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
denwood

2005-03-12          107865

Ardician, same company that makes the bucket grapple so when you find a dealer for that you can price the quick tach. I thought of going with that option, but the budget dictated otherwise. I wanted a bucket, forks, and a grapple, so if I added the $500 adapter, $500 forks, and a grapple for $1500-3000 it added up quick. Unfortunatly, John Deere's arrogance didn't allow them to offer a universal quick tach in years past, although the deere tach was standard on all, not an option. It was still better than some companies that used to offer none. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-12          107875

Dean
Just looked at your pics. Nice looking property and sorry I am laughing but a bunch of tornadao's/straight winds (a combination since the twisters were bouncing up and down and the winds done the rest) tore up 50 acres of my land in 92. Anouther storm hit in 02 and done more damage. LOL Sorry but I know what you feel like when you look at the mess. Kinda makes you sick to your stomach.
I know you probably have thought of this but a friendly reminder. When your in the blow down and you cutter is on the back watch yourself close. Only takes a second to be concentraiting on the logging road "work" your doing and forget that cutter is back there. With all the blowed down crap all over one wrong turn and your cooked. Last summer I finally got with the program and removed the cutter when NOT using it. I came real close WAY to many times or twisting it up and finally realized to get rid of it when not in use.
No help from me with the grapple (no experiance) so good luck with your project. OH yeah, Better put some mosquito spray on tomarroo. LOL Burr its cold up here still! ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-12          107876

Dean
Just looked at your pics. Nice looking property and sorry I am laughing but a bunch of tornadao's/straight winds (a combination since the twisters were bouncing up and down and the winds done the rest) tore up 50 acres of my land in 92. Anouther storm hit in 02 and done more damage. LOL Sorry but I know what you feel like when you look at the mess. Kinda makes you sick to your stomach.
I know you probably have thought of this but a friendly reminder. When your in the blow down and you cutter is on the back watch yourself close. Only takes a second to be concentraiting on the logging road "work" your doing and forget that cutter is back there. With all the blowed down crap all over one wrong turn and your cooked. Last summer I finally got with the program and removed the cutter when NOT using it. I came real close WAY to many times or twisting it up and finally realized to get rid of it when not in use.
No help from me with the grapple (no experiance) so good luck with your project. OH yeah, Better put some mosquito spray on tomarroo. LOL Burr its cold up here still! ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-13          107954

jrestill, I now realize that I don't have the quick attach that skid steer's use, but rather JD's own version of a quich attach bucket. I can see that the Borgford looks like the Cadillac of grapples, but it is a little pricey. I may contact them and see if they manufacture a version that fits the JD quick attach system, and thus eliminate having to buy an adapter. Thanks for the info.

denwood, I've been through many hurricanes and tornados, but Ivan was by far the worst around here. I am nearly a hundred miles inland, but we had 100-130 mph sustained winds with "bands" of even higher winds. Lasted about eight hours. Snapped big trees like toothpicks. Anyway, with my limited free time and stubborn do-it-yourself attitude, I am still not finished cleaning up six months after. Good point about the cutter getting in the way. I thought I should leave it on for ballast when I first got the tractor (my first) but quickly realized I was gonna bash it into a tree, so I now keep it off unless I need to use it. Yes, I have already started swatting the mosquitos. Comes with the territory. BTW, nice job on the fork/grapple fabrication. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-14          107979

Ardician, Borgford does have grapples to fit the JD quick attach. Mine hooks right up, no problem. ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-14          107998

Ken, that's what I wanted to hear. That may justify the higher price. Is yours 60 inches?

Thanks, Richard ....

View my Photos
rogermo

2005-03-14          108010

what is the web site for Borgford and do you know if they have a beast for a JD 4110 for the bucket.

Thanks]]

Roger ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-03-14          108018

Ardician, yes mine is a BG-5 five footer.

Rogermo, borgford grapple link below. I would think the BG-4 would work on the 4110 but you'd have to ask them and give them your specific loader model.

Keep in mind that these are built like a tank and weigh a lot so take that into consideration when you size them. ....

Link:   Borgford grapple

View my Photos
caddison

2005-03-24          108678

Have you chhecked out the KASCO Krocidile.....looks to be quite simple. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-26          108816

Thanks for the tip, Caddison. I just emailed Kasco for specifics. ....

View my Photos
cj2002b

2005-03-28          108909

Ardician,

Bought my 5' Borgford grapple 6 months ago. Balked at the price, but certainly worth the $$. Probably the most useful attachment I have. ....

View my Photos
Ardician

2005-03-28          108947

I gotta get thru paying the IRS first. Don't get me started about that. Anyway, after I recover from that big hit, I may go ahead with the purchase. ....

View my Photos
ronald65

2005-08-29          115585

Check this out www.anbomanufacturing.com i am considering purchase. they will send a free brochure and free cd of their products. I havn't see one in person. Ron ....

View my Photos
ronald65

2005-08-29          115586

what does Ken have? Ron ....

View my Photos
ronald65

2005-08-29          115587

Hi, Do you have an estimate on how much your forks and grapple weigh? how big a log can you pick up with it 12"x 16"dia? I have only Ponderosa Pine which is probably lighter than what you have. Thanks, Ron ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-29          115588

I've got a bodozer grapple. Very nice piece of equipment, but a lot more money than a bucket grapple. See my pic 1. Link below. ....

Link:   Bodozer grapple

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-29          115589

I went to the borgford link for the first time in months and see now they sell a bucket grapple. Based on the quality of the full grapple the bucket grapple is probably very nice. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-08-29          115590

Ronald, not sure who you're asking but the 5 foot bodozer grapple weighs about 600 lbs. The specs are on their website. Lift capacity is more a function of the tractor, ballast, and loader capabilities. I use it mostly for slash and cleanup. ....

View my Photos
ronald65

2005-08-29          115594

Thanks, I was asking anyone! I'm kind of new to these forums,I am looking for a grapple to handle slash and logs.I want the grapple Rake sturdy enough that I won't break it with my GL4630, but I don't want it so heavy that I can't pick up anything. kind of a trade off. Ron ....

View my Photos
mtullis

2006-01-12          122645

Rear remotes vs W.R. long Electric 3Rd valve kit for a Grapple on tc35 W/16LA FEL? The long kit has a hand grip with a rocker switch on the loader control so you don't have to move your had as you would have to do useing the rear remote contol.The price is about the same ($500.00). Just like sum feed back on it.

Link:   W.R. LONG

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Need a grapple rake for my FEL

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login