Go Bottom Go Bottom

Electrical short in JD855

View my Photos
Paul_in_NS
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-21          49724

Hi all,

I have a 1988 JD 855 CUT. Last week we were in the deep freeze with a high for the day of -23C, (about -10F I think I recall). I had to take the battery inside and warm it up and charge it overnight although, even after that I never did get the tractor running. Since it warmed up to just below freezing I have been able to get the tractor going again but now I have a whole raft of electricals that don't work or work sporadically. For example, the PTO lever has a magnetic coil which is now dead, therefore no PTO, therefore no snowblower. Also, some of the dashboard indicators work sometimes (oil pressure, battery, glowplug indicator) and not other times and not all do the same thing at the same time. The outside worklights worked one day but not yesterday. etc etc etc.

At no time has the tractor failed to turn over and start (at least since the temperature went up). Are there several ground points in the wiring harness that may have been disturbed when removing/replacing the battery? Any other scenarios to check?

regards,

Paul

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Electrical short in JD855

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-22          49758

When I had some intermittent electrical problems I found them by checking with a VOM on both sides of my cartridge fuses. I eventually noticed that was getting voltage on the fuse holder contacts on only one side of several of the fuses. Dirty contacts seemed to be the answer. Maybe wet weather followed by hard freezing managed to dislodge some fuses.

In general, grounds for components mounted on metal parts are fed by one wire and mounting studs to the chassis for ground. Parts mounted on plastic consoles have their own ground wires but most are short individual wires that go to the nearest mount onto the chassis. I suppose some designs could use ground buses and connect to the chassis through a wiring harness but it'd take a wiring diagram to sort that kind of thing out.

I don't know how an 855 is wired but the positive battery cable on my Ford goes directly to the starter solenoid. The AC electricals are fed from a separate lug on the solenoid terminal. I suppose some pulling on the cable could disturb the AC electricals but it would take some serious pulling. My work lights are fed directly from the battery through an in-line fuse. The lug goes under bolt that tightens the battery terminal. Something like that could be disturbed by removing the battery.

The way to fix this sort of thing is to ignore all the overall problem and find one problem in one circuit at a time. Find and fix one problem and the rest of them may disappear. It usually does take a wiring diagram though, but I would check the fuse holders. You might say if a heavy-duty battery charger/starter was used when trying to start the tractor.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login