Maintenance  Repair Must-haves : Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild  -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum and Review Maintenance Repair Must-haves : Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild -- Tractor Maintenance Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 01-12-2003, 10:57 Post: 47395
Petrops

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster
 Maintenance Repair Must-haves

Hi all

I am new to tractor ownership and am wondering what kind of tools I will need to have to accomplish basic maintenance and repair. Specific questions include:
What are the specs for lubrication equipment(PSI etc). Do the battery powered guns have enough power? Is air power necessary for other applications or will hand tools do?
Will a general automotive tool collection do? What kind of lift equipment is most practical?
Lastly are Kubotas metric or SAE?

Thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 01-12-2003, 12:28 Post: 47399
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Petrops

That is a TUFF question. Depending on what you have now? I would consider a good quality beginner set of general tools. You can not beat the deal on Sears Craftsman tools. I would get a general purpose set that includes Metric Combination wrenches 10-22 mm and 3/8" - 1-1/4", 1/2" drive socket set with sae & mm sockets, 10" curved jaw vise grips, 8" and 10" adjustable wrenches, screwdriver set and of course hammer and good punch and chisel set. Allen wrenches are a good thing to include. The beauty of Craftsman is if you damage a tool they will replace it. You will need a good quality grease gun with a general purpose grease that meets the lubrication specs for your tractor.

You can always buy specility tools as you need them to do a specific job. I would consider a tourque wrench if you are "VERY" uncertain about how tight is tight enought, without over tightening. Other specility tools might include a set of box end wrenches, a set of open end wrenches, deep sockets, fitting wrenches for nuts on fuel lines, air lines etc. The list can go on. I have been collecting tools for almost 40 years now and just bought a 3/4 IR261 air wrench for bull work. In 1972 I changed a 68 chevy 250 engine with only a cresent wrench, vise grips and a screwdriver. I did have to go and beg someone to loan me a 9/16 deep socket to remove the exaust pipe from the manifold. The guy where I changed it was adament he would not loan me any tools, guess I impressed him or he felt sorry for me, anyway it was all I had for tools at the time the rest were in storage.

I guess the point is it's not how big and fancy the tool storage box is with the high priced polished Snap-On tools but knowing how to use them. We have a couple of guys in our shop with $8,000 tool boxes $15,000 worth of tools and not a clue how to use a adjustable wrench properly.

Buy what you know how to use. Take a evening auto repair course and learn how to best utilize your tool, :-0 opps, TOOLS.

Also you will find a air compressor very useful for airing up tires, blowing away dust. Later add some air tools.

Pressure washers are also nice to have... YOU CAN SPEND A LOT ON STUFF YOU DO NOT NEED, but nice to have... Like a tractor...

Generally Asian built tractors will be metric, however you are sure to find some sae on them especially if you buy US made attachments. Nothing like a mixture of nuts on a tractor...

Feel free to e-mail me privately if you do not want to ask on the board. harvey at odyssey . net

Good luck
Harvey

01-12-2003, 12:30 Post: 47400
harvey

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User

Petrops

That is a TUFF question. Depending on what you have now? I would consider a good quality beginner set of general tools. You can not beat the deal on Sears Craftsman tools. I would get a general purpose set that includes Metric Combination wrenches 10-22 mm and 3/8" - 1-1/4", 1/2" drive socket set with sae & mm sockets, 10" curved jaw vise grips, 8" and 10" adjustable wrenches, screwdriver set and of course hammer and good punch and chisel set. Allen wrenches are a good thing to include. The beauty of Craftsman is if you damage a tool they will replace it. You will need a good quality grease gun with a general purpose grease that meets the lubrication specs for your tractor.

You can always buy specility tools as you need them to do a specific job. I would consider a tourque wrench if you are "VERY" uncertain about how tight is tight enought, without over tightening. Other specility tools might include a set of box end wrenches, a set of open end wrenches, deep sockets, fitting wrenches for nuts on fuel lines, air lines etc. The list can go on. I have been collecting tools for almost 40 years now and just bought a 3/4 IR261 air wrench for bull work. In 1972 I changed a 68 chevy 250 engine with only a cresent wrench, vise grips and a screwdriver. I did have to go and beg someone to loan me a 9/16 deep socket to remove the exaust pipe from the manifold. The guy where I changed it was adament he would not loan me any tools, guess I impressed him or he felt sorry for me, anyway it was all I had for tools at the time the rest were in storage.

I guess the point is it's not how big and fancy the tool storage box is with the high priced polished Snap-On tools but knowing how to use them. We have a couple of guys in our shop with $8,000 tool boxes $15,000 worth of tools and not a clue how to use a adjustable wrench properly.

Buy what you know how to use. Take a evening auto repair course and learn how to best utilize your tool, :-0 opps, TOOLS.

Also you will find a air compressor very useful for airing up tires, blowing away dust. Later add some air tools.

Pressure washers are also nice to have... YOU CAN SPEND A LOT ON STUFF YOU DO NOT NEED, but nice to have... Like a tractor...

Generally Asian built tractors will be metric, however you are sure to find some sae on them especially if you buy US made attachments. Nothing like a mixture of nuts on a tractor...

Feel free to e-mail me privately if you do not want to ask on the board. harvey at odyssey . net

Good luck
Harvey

01-12-2003, 19:39 Post: 47406
marklugo

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

You will find Metric on 99% of fasteners on Kubota. Metric straight combination open/ box end and ratchet sets are handy. An adjustable (Crescent style) wrench is good to keep close. Pliers, slip joint and needle nose work for the clamps and other odd situations. A hammer, such as a 3 pound mini sledge or heavy ball peen works when all else fails. A Screwdriver set, allen wrench set(metric) and a telescoping magnet are needed as well.
However, above all others, a grease gun for the grease fittings that you may have is a tool that should be used every day before any operation occurs.

As far as brand, I have several expensive brands and styles. But I generally find that all tools loose as easily as the other. Don't invest in a lot of pricey tools.
Pick them up in pawn shops or Wally world or some other brand X-Mart. Most homeowner tools carry a life time warranty anyway. Lifetime is Lifetime. Get some that "feel comfortable in your hands" and are sold close to you if one breaks.

Also keep a "first aid" kit in the tool box on the tractor. This consist of 1 hammer, 1 medium slotted screwdriver, 1 Phillips screwdriver, 1 medium adjustable wrench, 1 pair of pliers and a few zip ties.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild Forum

Thread 47395 Filter by Poster:
harvey 2 | marklugo 1 | Petrops 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
videorov

Belarus - Found my one part and looiking for some anothers
Found my one part and looiking for some anothers

Unanswered Questions

Operation
Shibaura SD2203 rear axle oil
Mitsubishi MX55
Big country 4x2 utility vehicl
lift cylinder for 3pt hitch wo
Gator HPX ignition module
SL 1643
Removing LHS rear wheel beari

Active Subjects

Flatulent gifts human and dog
front mount snowblower
Still have jerk in hydro
Hydraulics Won t Work
4210 ehydro codes
P21f new solenoids or diff val
TC33D Telescoping steering col
Where Murf

Hot Topics

NorTrac Tractor Quality Review
Case 446 hydraulic pump
Long 460 hydraulic problem
Jinma Tractor w transmission p
Flatulent gifts human and dog
Generator set up ideas wanted
6X4 Gator Sometimes Shudders
Roof VP75 Brush Mower Manual

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Diesel engine spits oil from exhaust
+ HOW MANY TRACTOR HOURS IS TOO MANY HOURS
+ Ford 1910 hydraulic problems
+ Need help with 4x6 Gator 3 Cyl Diesel Engine probl
+ yanmar 3 cyl desiel wont start
+ How to stop Mice Rodents eating Tractor Wiring
+ JD 870 not pulling its own weight
+ How to Start Honda small engines
+ Honda small engines suck