Go Bottom Go Bottom

Maintenance Repair Must-haves

View my Photos
Petrops
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-12          47395

Hi all

I am new to tractor ownership and am wondering what kind of tools I will need to have to accomplish basic maintenance and repair. Specific questions include:
What are the specs for lubrication equipment(PSI etc). Do the battery powered guns have enough power? Is air power necessary for other applications or will hand tools do?
Will a general automotive tool collection do? What kind of lift equipment is most practical?
Lastly are Kubotas metric or SAE?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-12          47399

Petrops

That is a TUFF question. Depending on what you have now? I would consider a good quality beginner set of general tools. You can not beat the deal on Sears Craftsman tools. I would get a general purpose set that includes Metric Combination wrenches 10-22 mm and 3/8" - 1-1/4", 1/2" drive socket set with sae & mm sockets, 10" curved jaw vise grips, 8" and 10" adjustable wrenches, screwdriver set and of course hammer and good punch and chisel set. Allen wrenches are a good thing to include. The beauty of Craftsman is if you damage a tool they will replace it. You will need a good quality grease gun with a general purpose grease that meets the lubrication specs for your tractor.

You can always buy specility tools as you need them to do a specific job. I would consider a tourque wrench if you are "VERY" uncertain about how tight is tight enought, without over tightening. Other specility tools might include a set of box end wrenches, a set of open end wrenches, deep sockets, fitting wrenches for nuts on fuel lines, air lines etc. The list can go on. I have been collecting tools for almost 40 years now and just bought a 3/4 IR261 air wrench for bull work. In 1972 I changed a 68 chevy 250 engine with only a cresent wrench, vise grips and a screwdriver. I did have to go and beg someone to loan me a 9/16 deep socket to remove the exaust pipe from the manifold. The guy where I changed it was adament he would not loan me any tools, guess I impressed him or he felt sorry for me, anyway it was all I had for tools at the time the rest were in storage.

I guess the point is it's not how big and fancy the tool storage box is with the high priced polished Snap-On tools but knowing how to use them. We have a couple of guys in our shop with $8,000 tool boxes $15,000 worth of tools and not a clue how to use a adjustable wrench properly.

Buy what you know how to use. Take a evening auto repair course and learn how to best utilize your tool, :-0 opps, TOOLS.

Also you will find a air compressor very useful for airing up tires, blowing away dust. Later add some air tools.

Pressure washers are also nice to have... YOU CAN SPEND A LOT ON STUFF YOU DO NOT NEED, but nice to have... Like a tractor...

Generally Asian built tractors will be metric, however you are sure to find some sae on them especially if you buy US made attachments. Nothing like a mixture of nuts on a tractor...

Feel free to e-mail me privately if you do not want to ask on the board. harvey at odyssey . net

Good luck
Harvey ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-12          47400

Petrops

That is a TUFF question. Depending on what you have now? I would consider a good quality beginner set of general tools. You can not beat the deal on Sears Craftsman tools. I would get a general purpose set that includes Metric Combination wrenches 10-22 mm and 3/8" - 1-1/4", 1/2" drive socket set with sae & mm sockets, 10" curved jaw vise grips, 8" and 10" adjustable wrenches, screwdriver set and of course hammer and good punch and chisel set. Allen wrenches are a good thing to include. The beauty of Craftsman is if you damage a tool they will replace it. You will need a good quality grease gun with a general purpose grease that meets the lubrication specs for your tractor.

You can always buy specility tools as you need them to do a specific job. I would consider a tourque wrench if you are "VERY" uncertain about how tight is tight enought, without over tightening. Other specility tools might include a set of box end wrenches, a set of open end wrenches, deep sockets, fitting wrenches for nuts on fuel lines, air lines etc. The list can go on. I have been collecting tools for almost 40 years now and just bought a 3/4 IR261 air wrench for bull work. In 1972 I changed a 68 chevy 250 engine with only a cresent wrench, vise grips and a screwdriver. I did have to go and beg someone to loan me a 9/16 deep socket to remove the exaust pipe from the manifold. The guy where I changed it was adament he would not loan me any tools, guess I impressed him or he felt sorry for me, anyway it was all I had for tools at the time the rest were in storage.

I guess the point is it's not how big and fancy the tool storage box is with the high priced polished Snap-On tools but knowing how to use them. We have a couple of guys in our shop with $8,000 tool boxes $15,000 worth of tools and not a clue how to use a adjustable wrench properly.

Buy what you know how to use. Take a evening auto repair course and learn how to best utilize your tool, :-0 opps, TOOLS.

Also you will find a air compressor very useful for airing up tires, blowing away dust. Later add some air tools.

Pressure washers are also nice to have... YOU CAN SPEND A LOT ON STUFF YOU DO NOT NEED, but nice to have... Like a tractor...

Generally Asian built tractors will be metric, however you are sure to find some sae on them especially if you buy US made attachments. Nothing like a mixture of nuts on a tractor...

Feel free to e-mail me privately if you do not want to ask on the board. harvey at odyssey . net

Good luck
Harvey ....

View my Photos
marklugo

2003-01-12          47406

You will find Metric on 99% of fasteners on Kubota. Metric straight combination open/ box end and ratchet sets are handy. An adjustable (Crescent style) wrench is good to keep close. Pliers, slip joint and needle nose work for the clamps and other odd situations. A hammer, such as a 3 pound mini sledge or heavy ball peen works when all else fails. A Screwdriver set, allen wrench set(metric) and a telescoping magnet are needed as well.
However, above all others, a grease gun for the grease fittings that you may have is a tool that should be used every day before any operation occurs.

As far as brand, I have several expensive brands and styles. But I generally find that all tools loose as easily as the other. Don't invest in a lot of pricey tools.
Pick them up in pawn shops or Wally world or some other brand X-Mart. Most homeowner tools carry a life time warranty anyway. Lifetime is Lifetime. Get some that "feel comfortable in your hands" and are sold close to you if one breaks.

Also keep a "first aid" kit in the tool box on the tractor. This consist of 1 hammer, 1 medium slotted screwdriver, 1 Phillips screwdriver, 1 medium adjustable wrench, 1 pair of pliers and a few zip ties. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login