Go Bottom Go Bottom

Attaching Backhoe to JD4310

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-12          76749

When the dealer delivered my JD4310 he told me that when I attached/detached the backhoe I needed to force the bucket into the ground to get the Lpins to align with RSA plates. The rockshaft doesn't rise high enough to get the pins in. I came across a section in the owner's manual that says that, if the rockshaft does not lift the backhoe high enough, the linkage which connects the rockshaft to the rockshaft control valve needs to be adjusted and to see the dealer. Is this something I can do myself?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Abbeywoods
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-13          76772

I wouldn't try it. I looked over my owner's video and then read my owner's manual, and although I have a 48 hoe on a 4610, the method is the same. I am worried this condition may lead to a headache for you if you tackle it wrong. Why do so many folks who come here feel compelled to solve these kinds of issues themselves when they have a dealer to go back to. Make the dealer show you, make the dealer responsible, not you. If the adjustment goes sour on his dime then he 'owns' the obligation to make it right. If you do it wrong? He may tell you to take a hike. Be firm, be polite, be patient, and he'll work with you to your satisfaction. ....

View my Photos
cef2lion

2004-02-13          76776

This appears to be a common issue with the hoe on the 4000 series. There is a rod behind the seat that is adjustable. The rod puts the 3pt into relief once it reaches a certain height. What happens is the 3pt hits relief before the hoe is high enough to put the pins in. There are nuts on the end of the rod to make the adjustment.

The dealer showed me the adjustment and said it was set correctly but might need adjusting from time to time. I had to adjust it after a month or so but have not had to touch it since. If you watch the rod while you move the 3pt you can tell if you need to lengthen or shorten the rod. It is really easy to do but the Dealer said not to go over board with the adjustment. I think the hoe is about the only 3pt attachment where this adjustment comes into play.

Craig ....

View my Photos
JDF415

2004-02-13          76781

There are also adjustable hooks/linkage at the lift arms that change the lift height of the backhoe. This is not a hard adjustment to make, however I would agree with Abbeywoods... Have the dealer who sold you the tractor/backhoe adjust it correctly. You should expect your tractor to be set-up correctly to start with. Enjoy your new backhoe. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-13          76814

Thanks to all for the advice. Based on what you have told me I will take my time and approach this with caution, will discuss this with the dealer. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-02-14          76826

ncrunch take a look at the plastic cover the 3ph lever slides in. Loosen the 2 bolts that hold it and rap it with your palm to the rear.

When dealing with the little distance that is there provided the dealer got the adjustments right. you are only talking about a 1/16 or so more of travel with the lever. That is in the cover plate easy. The other trick to get just a tad more lift is to push down on your lever as you push it to the rear.

It seems like no matter how many times I have it on or off it will pick just a tad different each time.

Good luck Harvey ....

View my Photos
jeff r

2004-03-02          78560

Nice tractor and backhoe. Is there any particular reason why you didn't get a subframe for your hoe. Scares the dog doo out of me when I hear somebody spending that kind of money and not getting a subframe. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-02          78561

I'm pretty sure the JD 47 backhoe is subframe mounted. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-03          78583

I know it's just a wording thing and I've made many of them myself. A 3ph is adjusted so it goes into neutral at a certain height. It's out of adjustment it won't go high enough or it will run into the mechanical stop and then go into relief, which is what you don't want. The adjustment can wonder around a bit. If it's adjusted too high it can start going into relief rather than neutral at full height sometime later. You would likely hear the relief valve though.

There is a discussion of this problem somewhere in the archives but I can't remember the solution. If the rocker shaft arms are splined onto the shaft, an alternative to adjustment might be moving the arms one spline but I agree that's it's a sort of a design problem and a dealer should come up with a solution. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-03          78592

Jeff r - when I bought the unit I knew nothing about subframes - just told the dealer I wanted a FEL and a BH. The dealer told me, when I bought it, that if I wanted a 48BH instead of the 47BH for the 4310 he would have to order an extra "plate". He recommended the 47 BH for the light amount of work I have to do. I learned about subframes later through this site. Being curious I then went to the BH manual and saw nothing in the owners manual for a subframe for a 47 BH, however did see mention of subframe for larger BHs and installing them on tractors other than 4310 (5500 series?).

I can only conclude, like KW says, that either there is no subframe option for 47 BH or it is included as part of the BH unit. It has a frame that you back the 4310 up to - lift and lock into place with rockshaft - and secure with LPins. It fits the tractor tight and there is no movement once attached. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-03-03          78594

As I listen to responses to this thread it is my inclination to not rush into an adjustment on the rockshaft. It is easy to force the bucket down to push the BH into position so the LPins can be inserted. As long as no one sees a problem with this procedure I am happy for the shortrun.

Harvey's simple solution does sound like its worth taking a look at. TomG - thanks for your discussion about the danger of hitting the mechanical stop and going into relief.

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-08          82536

Well, I took my tractor in to the dealer to get some broken wires repaired under the tractor that caused the tractor to be stuck in 4WD. While it was there I asked them to adjust the rockshaft arms so that they lifted higher so I could mount/dismount the backhoe without forcing the bucket into the ground to get the LPins in.

Needless to say, they hadn't adjusted the rockshaft arms. The mechanic said there was nothing wrong, he just used the outriggers to force the backhoe into position so he could put the LPins in. I told him the owners manual said the dealer should adjust the rockshaft mechanism so that the LPin holes line up if it doesn't lift high enough.

The mechanic told me he had gone to JD school, and at the school they told him the 4000 series tractors had this problem with mounting the backhoe, and that he didn't think adjusting the rockshaft mechanism to go higher was the right thing to do. That they are very tricky - and don't have much residual distance to work with before they hit the stop.

I pressed him a couple of times on the issue but I'm not going to ask a mechanic to do something he doesn't feel comfortable doing. So looks as though I will just have to go through an extra step in mounting/diswmounting the backhoe. I don't do it that often, its a minor inconvenience. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-04-09          82546

ncrunch How much distance to you need to get? You may be able to get around that issue. There are other ways to tweak the adjustments. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-04-09          82550

Mine has had that problem since new, but since we rarely take the hoe off it isn't much of an issue to me. I do have a simple cure that costs less than 5 bucks, but I won't share it because it probably isn't aproved by Deere. Frank. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-09          82557

Harvey, I need very little distance - maybe 1/4 inch. I haven't tried your solution yet which was rapping the plastic cover back. I will take a look at that.

Hardwood, I was never good at simple solutions. But like you, I rarely take the hoe off. I keep saying I am going to do it next weekend, but I keep finding one more job for the hoe. Meanwhile my yard is all torn up because I never use the 3pt attachments to clean up. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-04-21          83817

Just to close this out - I spoke to a JD advisor at the 800 number. They said my dealer is correct. The 47 BH manual was written for general 4000 series tractors. The rockshaft on 4010 series tractors will not lift the BH high enough to install the LPin without a workaround. She said contact your dealer for suggested solutions. I brought up the bushing idea that Ken suggested in separate thread - she said she had heard of that and there might be other solutions that the dealers have (like using the outriggers to boost the hoe up, etc). ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login