Go Bottom Go Bottom

PTO Hyd vs Tractor Hyd for backhoe attachment

View my Photos
ibuycoinop
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-01          72861

Hello All,
I am the owner of a New Holland TC40D and am considering a backhoe attachment. I have a few areas of marsh land that I would like to clear. I beleive I need a 36" bucket to get the job done more quickly. I have looked at both New Hollands's 758C and the Woods 750. Any suggestions with strong and weak points between the two attachments (or any other suggested backhoe units) would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to know what a mud or muck bucket is?

Thanks in Advance,
Russell

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-01          72868

The tractor hydraulics is the stronger of the two systems. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-01          72873

I have a 758C on my TC45 and I really like it. I dig in hard desert soil that is often like concrete in a thin surface layer. I cannot comment on the Woods, but I will vouch for the NH. I do not abuse the hoe/tractor. I get off the hoe and move a few feet with the tractor when the need arises. I use a 13" bucket. I find the controls to be smooth and the power to be more than adequate. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-02          72878

I am hoping your 36" bucket is a typo. You would need an excavator in the 20+ ton range and 150+ hp to even begin to handle a 36" bucket in marsh. I am using the litest numbers. A 30 ton machine, wide tracks and 250hp would be closer.

Of course you may have seen something in the 36" bucket that will fit and I am unaware. A small wide ditching bucket might work but you are gonna have to be close.

As Art said you'll get more psi out of your tractor but the pto will give you more gpm. But I have seen 2500 psi pto pumps with 20 gpm. The 40 d ought 2 b close to that out of the box.

Mud and muck buckets have some holes in them to let water out and for air in to release the suction of the mud when dumping.

View my Photos
ibuycoinop

2004-01-02          72889

Thanks to all for the advice. While searching for a backhoe for my N.H. TC40D (40hp machine) I came across a Land Pride.

http://www.landpride.com/lp/products/bh2585_specs.html

The specs on this machine seem very impressive and slightly better than those of N.H. 758C. It also has many bucket options all the way up to a 36" Which is what I thought I would need? Has anyone used a 36" bucket with any degree of sucess on a compact tractor backhoe?

Thanks again to all,
Russell ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-02          72920

3 cubic feet? I'm thinking 2+ cubic yards in a 36" bucket. I gotta quit playing with the big toys.

3cf is gonna get you a bucket full of gravel or dirt at approximately 300lbs. Add in your fine muck with water and I'd bet you are over 400 lbs.

I guess it gonna depend on how far you have to reach to fill pick and reach to dump.

I have a little 18" bucket on a 4400jd with a 48 hoe frame mounted and a full reach over the side with wet heavy mud tends to tighten the spinter a tad. I have good solid contect with boom down lever at all times. Granted you are looking a bigger machine but it takes alot to handle mud. ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2004-01-02          72928

I once had a customer with a jd850 and # 8 hoe that he used for digging graves. He always used a 36" bucket that I always thought could never work well. I had to do a service call to the cemetary one day to replace a blown hose and when I finished, I watched him dig. It was amazing what he could do with that big bucket. I have had more trouble using a 12" bucket at times. The skill of the operator makes a big difference in how much work can be gotten out of any machine. He was even digging in frozen soil. I'm sure if I tried to use the same machine, I'd have trouble scratching the surface. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login