Go Bottom Go Bottom

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-09          145574

I am in the market for a used backhoe, something along the lines of a Case CK or similar machine for use on my land. I am fairly competent as an operator, so control configuration really does not matter.

Primary use will be for clearing my land, digging stumps and occasional trenching. I had thought about a small dozer but decided against that due to the costly maintenance those can present.

Any thoughts as to a good source in or near New York State?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-09-09          145576

I laughed when I saw the "competent operator" and "Case" and "configuration".

My backhoe was working so I was hired to operate another guy's Case to help him out. I tell him "oh yeah, I can run anything" which up until that day I had.

I fired myself after 15 minutes. I just could not get the hang of using foot pedals to swing the backhoe. I was never so frustrated and embarassed.

Have you tried eBay? There are plenty of deals I've seen from your neck of the woods. ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
Art White

2007-09-10          145588

Now lets not beat up that foot swing to much! How much are you looking to pay? you just missed the Grids auction this Saturday passed. ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-10          145592

Cutter,

Unless you're in a big hurry to get yourself a backhoe, you can't beat Proxibid live auctions.

Proxibid posts photos of the items offered at auction, and then allows you to bid live, while the auction is taking place, and all from the comfort of your own home.

I watched a 3-point backhoe sell for 1100 dollars recently, in Nebraska. However, there may be an auction near you in the near future.

See the link below.

Joel ....

Link:   Proxibid Live Online Auctions

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-09-10          145598

I laughed when I read your post Earthworks! I learned on a Ford four-lever and progressed from there to about everything else possible, including the Davis 30+4 which as a laugh no matter who tried to run the thing.

Art, I wish I had known about that auction. I am not in a hurry but if I could get a few things done prior to winter I would be happy.

Price will be commensurate with the equipment condition. I don't want a piece of junk but something that could use some TLC is OK. Most likely I will sell it at some point down the road. Given the condition of my back I can't get into major, heavy restoration of this stuff.

I will check that link Joel, thank you.

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-09-24          146033

I found a place called Carroll's Equipment in Skaneateles, NY. They have more equipment for sale than you can imagine and claim the prices are wholesale.

After thinking about the pros and cons pertaining to backhoe vs mini, I have decided to look into a mini-excavator. I have rented one several times and they are great for light work and may work OK for my purpose but just be a bit slower with the progress. I don't really care about that aspect.

By browsing the inventory on-line, I have spotted about what I want. One machine that appears to be well appointed is the Mitsubishi. It is larger than the one I rented, a good thing. Prices range between 10-20k with most machines hovering around the 12k mark. Cat is another machine of interest. The Deere and Hitachi are the same machine, will take a look at all of them this weekend I hope.

Opinions relative to these machines welcome :)

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-09-24          146034

http://www.carrollequipment.com/2.11.07g.htm

Here is a link to the Mitsi ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-24          146035

Cutter,

Here's something that might interest you.

Lot # 595

1996 KOMATSU PC95 HYDRAULIC EXCAVATOR SN21D5001757 powered by Komatsu 4D106-1FB diesel engine, 82 HP

1996 KOMATSU PC95 HYDRAULIC EXCAVATOR SN21D5001757 powered by Komatsu 4D106-1FB diesel engine, 82 HP, equipped with Cab, air, 24in. digging bucket, blade, auxiliary hydraulics, 80% undercarriage, 1,690 hours.

Lot # 596

KOMATSU PC40 HYDRAULIC EXCAVATOR powered by diesel engine, equipped with canopy, blade, rubber trac

KOMATSU PC40 HYDRAULIC EXCAVATOR powered by diesel engine, equipped with canopy, blade, rubber track, digging bucket.

See the link below.......scroll down to lot#s 595 and 596

Joel ....

Link:   Komatsu Excavators -- Alex Lyon and Son 9-26-07

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-24          146037

I rented a 1998 New Holland 655E backhoe and could not believe the power it had. Used it like a dozer to grade 10,000 yards of clay piles. I had a rented Case 14,000 lb. machine on the same site and it was half as strong as the NH backhoe. But the excavator did have the ability to float on a pond's mucky bottom

What type of work are you doing? ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-09-25          146078

The work is kind of a mixed bag. I have several acres of overgrown field and scrub woods that I want to clear and eventually plant with evergreens. I have stumps to dig out and some grading to do. I may dig a pond at some point but that is still not a certainty.

Many of the trees are covered with vines that must be pulled away and dug out. I know the mini works well for this as the last time I rented I tried it. No doubt a backhoe would work well too.

Joel I tried that auction site and did find some goodies. I looked at them once before as well, but I am still confused as to where these machines are located. I could not find that information anywhere. ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-09-25          146081

I'd be tempted to fabricate a root rake for the dipper stick/hoe bucket of whatever you buy or make one for the excavator backfill blade. I have transported some very heavy and/or bulky weights by crowding the material between the bucket and the backfill blade.

Every pond situation is different, but maybe you can learn from exp. I was asked to enlarge an existing pond. It had steep banks. I had a Cat 325C (about 88,000 lb. ?) that had 4' less usable reach than the 655E backhoe with the extend a hoe. The problem was even though the excavator had a 21' usable-reach at ground level from the tip of th track---35' swing/70' radius, all that was gobbled up with the pivot point about 5-6' off the grade added to 4-5' drop from the embankment--so I lost 9-11' of reach right off the bat. The backhoe's pivot point was only about 2' off grade (plus the drop). ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-25          146088

Cutter,

If you click on the "auction catalog" link, you will then find the "auction info" link. Click on the auction info link and you'll be able to find out where the auction is being held, when, and the rules and regs required to place a bid.

The other option is to go to the auction site map on the home page, and then look for auctions near you. You'll find a map of the U.S., with a red flag at each auction listed in the U.S. (The map changes daily, as new auctions are posted.) You should be able to find an auction near you in the near future.

On the home page, click on "FIND AUCTIONS".

From there you can either click on "GEOGRAPHICAL MAP", or click on the "INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL" link, found under the "SELECT CATEGORY" section, immediately to the right.

Here's a link to the PROXIBID home page.

See you at the auctions.

Joel ....

Link:   PROXIBID Home Page.....Live auctions. Bid from home.

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-09-26          146123

Thank you both for the information. I have been tied up this week between work and boat haul preparation so by the time I get here I'm pretty beat.

Found a 2004 Kubota with 2200 hours. It is a 6k pound mini-excavator and has new tracks. Looks good and has not been "reconditioned" with spray paint like all the rest I have seen. Asking price is 16.9 so I need to see if I can negotiate it down a bit. I have a 7k trailer so I could probably squeak by without upgrading to a 10k. ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-27          146130

Cutter,

I just thought I'd let you know that I saw a Hitachi mini-excavator sell for $7500 at auction today. (Lot # 601)

The two excavators I listed above sold for $12,500 (Lot 595) and $12,000 (Lot 596)

This should give you some idea of the cost savings you could enjoy by purchasing at auction.

Of course, there is no warranty on anything purchased at auction. There usually isn't a warranty offered in the used market either, however.

See the link below.....lots 595, 596, and 601.

Joel ....

Link:   Alex Lyon and Son Auction -- 9-26-07

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-09-27          146131

Sorry about that, Cutter. I posted a bad link.

Here is the correct link.

Joel ....

Link:   Alex Lyon and Son Auction -- 9-26-07

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-03          146506

Well here is the latest in my search for an excavator/backhoe.

I found a 1987 JCB 4100B 4x4 with heated factory cab, lights and etc. The machine looks clean in the pictures and is located about 50 miles from me so that is good.

It happens to be at a dealer, one that I have known for years to be straight. The district manager offered to come to my house, pick me up and take me to look at the machine. He also offered to bring the machine to my place for me to try.

The only two negatives I have heard about JCB is that the English Metric hoses are available only through the dealer network, so that could be an issue and that the Perkins diesel will tend to lose its prime easily. The second issue was reported to me by a mechanic at the Case dealer.

Any comments relative to this machine?

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-03          146507

Almost forgot. There is an auction in Rochester on Saturday so I am attempting to register in order to bid on-line.

Thanks for the link to that site! ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-04          146517

Cutter, two sites that here show a lot of equipment are "equipent trader" and "machine trader". Both should pop up easy in a search. Don't now remember which one has auction results section where you can look at sold units to get idea on what they have sold for. kt ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-04          146518

Thanks for the link Joel, I will check them out. I am still waiting to see if the auction house approves my credit to bid at the Municipal auction on Saturday, also on-line.

If you go to the Carroll Equipment link you will see machines that were all purchased at auction. He then checks the fluids, marks them up and re-sells "as is". Might better save the $$ as you suggest.

Either way, I don't intend to make up my mind about the backhoe until the auction is complete on Saturday. You never know!

Link:   

Click Here

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-04          146520

Cutter,

You're welcome, Sir. I hope you enjoy your time at proxibid as much as I do.

That Komatsu PC45 is a nice little machine, but I'm betting Carrol Equipment got it for around 11,000........and I'm thinking you could do the same.

If you're not in a terrible hurry to get one of these things, you'll find many excavators on proxibid to pick from. The best part of all this, is that you live very close to some of the biggest auction companies in the nation. You have much more to pick from than I do.

Be patient. There's an excavator with your name on it out there somewhere. hehehe.

Enjoy the auctions. It can be a great way to spend a lonely evening at home during the winter months.....and it doesn't cost a penny to attend. It's cheap entertainment.

Good luck.

Joel ....

Looking for Backhoe

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-18          147117

Well, here is the latest update on the backhoe quest.

I sat in on the Proxy auction Saturday and the two excavators I was interested in went for what I believe was about 2-3k below retail, same guy bought both. My own fault I missed them as I had not done enough prep work in advance.

Since then, however, I have come across two backhoes for sale locally. One is a private owner and the other is a dealer. I looked at the Case 480E yesterday and am looking at the 580LT tomorrow. The price is so good on the new dealer trade that I signed an offer with the salesman today (he met me on the road) with an inspection clause so I can decline if I choose to do so.

I have seen pictures of the 580 and it looks good but we shall see. It is 4WD with "extend a hoe", full enclosure, remote hydraulics and a heater (yesssss).

Keeping my fingers crossed ;)

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login