Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tundra vs Tacoma -- this is nutty

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-14          138004

Just for the heck of it I priced out an 06 4x4 Access Cab "Full size" Tundra to compare with the 07 4x4 Access Cab "Mid size" Tacoma. After incentives a V8 SR5 Automatic Tundra is LESS than a 4 Cyl. SR5 Tacoma. What? And to top it off although the Tundra is 10" longer than the Tacoma it is within about a half inch in all other dimensions. It seems Toyota doesn't really know what to do with their truck line.

Mark, how are the seats in your Tundra? Do you have the regular seats or the Captains chairs?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-12-14          138006

I have the split bench in a standard cab. My truck is an '02 and I like the seats a lot. Been all over the west coast in it. Very comfy.

Also, this truck is a real good performer. It is certainly quicker than any police cruiser I ever drove. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-12-14          138007

To get a Tundra over a Tacoma for the same price seems sort of a no-brainer. The rated mileage is about the same as the V6 Tacoma. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-12-14          138009

I think the new up-sized Tacoma is out-selling the Tundra and the prices reflect that.

The Tundra is due to be up-sized in a couple months. It would make sense that the mileage figures would be similar. The new Tacoma and the old Tundra are virtual twins. ....

View my Photos
dkheckmanl
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-12-14          138010

Toyota must be trying to unload their 06 Tundras before the bigger more powerful 07 models hit the showrooms.

My 00 Tundra was trouble free until I hit about 105k about a year ago. Since then I have had to replace the starter and fuel pump. Just wish it had a little more towing power.

KW, what was the ball park price for the 06 Tundra with all the incentives?

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-12-14          138011

I got the price from Edmunds and don't remember exactly but it was less than $26k for a 4x4 Access Cab SR5 Tundra V8, auto, PW, cruise control and fairly nicely equipped. Current incentive is $2500 off. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-12-15          138012

Ken I always find a wide disparity on the MSRP sticker prices you see listed on the web and what the dealer has on the lot. Toyota pricing is always set up to have lots of extras added in that make the MSRP on the lot much higher than what I would have thought. Anyway that's the way it is at the dealers in NJ.

I like it the simple way Honda has it DX, LX, EX, that 's it, though they don't move much on price ;)

I have the 2000 Toyota Tundra Limited Access Cab with Leather and the TRD package, and the V8. Smooth running truck comfortable seats. Gets around 15 mpg, sticker was around $33k whrn I bought it so Toyota can really add stuff on even on the Limited version.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-12-15          138013

15mpg? Their literature says the V8 should get 15/18. Is most of your driving in town?

The last couple of vehicles we've bought have been internet deals. Edmunds lets you configure a vehicle by selecting your options and then request quotes from local dealers. Dealers hate internet buyers because if you're not sitting at their desk they can't pressure you, and they know you're also searching other dealers so they have to be competitive. Anyway, we've got very good prices doing this and the configurations have come very close to what we want without loading it up with profitable add-ons like undercoating, fabric and paint protection, etc. None of this "you have to take the NAV system because they all have it" crap. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-12-15          138014

Ken.... are you a Costco member? You can get another discount on top of what you are already quoted. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-12-15          138016

Yep. Good information, thanks Mark. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-12-15          138017

When I got my Tundra the market conditions were similar.

Toyota offered a good discount and the dealer was doing a matching down payment promotion. By the time we added in the Costco discount they were scratching their heads because the price was $500 under dealer cost.

They didn't have a choice, they sold it to me for that price. They might have tightened things up a bit since then. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-12-15          138019

Ken,

Take a look at my Pix 14 or the link below, I am in the rural part of NJ. We are always going up and down hills to get anywhere (we are at 800 ft above sea level, so not reaaly mountains, though they call them the Kittatiny Mountains).

The rating on the 2000 Tundra V8 Limited was 14 to 17 when we bought it. I am very anal when checking mileage and it's never gotten more than the rating 17 on a highway trip. We average on the 14 to 15 side everyday, it ain't no prize.

Picture Link
Pickup Trucks and Trailers Tundra vs  Tacoma -- this is nutty

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-12-15          138020

PS we are looking at replacing the Tundra, and I think we are headed back to getting another small SUV. I am torn though as having a pickup has its uses. But the mileage sucks, and my kids are getting too big for the access cab, and it is a pain when we need to put all our gear that needs to be kept inside, inside.

But the pickup is great for tossing the mountain bikes in and picking up stuff. Tough decision. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-12-15          138021

The mileage rating seems to have increased a few since yours was made. Have you thought about a quad-cab truck with a canopy? ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-12-15          138022

Well you are probably looking at another model or very optimistic ;)

My 2000 Tundra 4x4 V8 Access Cab was rated at 14 to 17. According to Toyotas site link below the current model now gets 15 to 18 for the same model.

That's so close could be a measurement change, anyway both of those numbers are too low for me. ....

Link:   Tundra Access Cab V8 4x4

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-12-15          138023

I get 17-19 mpg when I am not towing. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-12-15          138024

Mark,

I think you don't have the Access Cab right, and do you have 4x4 and automatic? I do, I think the Access cab gets worse mileage.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-12-15          138025

Hey Mark its probably all that corinthian leather on the limited Tundra that is weighing it down and sucking up all that fuel.

Now that I have been on a diet I am expecting the MPG to improve somewhat, reduced payload, higher efficiency LOL ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-12-15          138026

I thought the 06 Tundra brochure said 16/19 for the Access cab automatic but that's only 4x2. 15/18 it is with 4WD. Definitely lower than I'd like. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-12-15          138027

I have an 04 Access Cab with auto and 2 wheel drive. My driving is about 7 miles from home to town and about 30 to 40 percentage in town. Mind you not a large city but stop. I will average 17 mpg on every tank that I have check adn that is 9 out of 10. Just filled up this morning. It ran about 17.8 but there were more hwy miles than normal. Have been too long to know what a true tank of just hwy mpg is. Power is very good.

FYI: Toyota is giving $6,000 rebates here and this morning showed 0% financing, I think with the rebate. Do suspect they are trying to move the current Tundra before what I understand is a bigger 07 is on lot. At same time, not sure with the 06 or 07 but with the 04's there is a varaince in the size of the pickup. From some comments here seems to still be true with the 06. The full double cab is the model they compare to Ford. Why? It has a wider body and bigger bed than the Access Cab. Park the two right beside each other and you can see it. They often don't park them right beside each other on the local lots.

Something I ran into on my pickup was price was told over the phone and all and after driving an hour to that dealership due to inventory and price...now what amount do we ad to this for the dealership? Very serious. More games at dealerships than on ESPN.

Been very pleased with my pickup.

View my Photos
dkheckmanl

2006-12-15          138054

My 00 Tundra is 4x4 reg. cab with auto trans which sounds like the same set up as what Mark has. I get between 17-19 when I am not towing. It's the model that mice like to build a nest in, right Mark? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-12-17          138127

Rankin, don't let 'em kid you about scratching their heads about $500 under dealer cost. "Dealer cost" can be any number the dealer wants to make up---like dealer cost for $1000 "custom" pinstripe job that they paid $85 for, or a $2000 sunroof they paid $800 for.

"Factory Invoice" is what the dealer pays for it--- on paper---- when they borrow money for it. However, they get what's called "hold backs" which is like a commission. If they thought they were going to lose one cent they would have recinded the transaction pronto! Holdbacks for Ford products were in the 5-6% range. Then the salesman also sometimes get a kickback from lending institutions for referring the business on your loan---which may not be the BEST loan value out there for them to choose from. ....

View my Photos
HAWAIIANBOB

2007-01-24          139116

GAS MILEAGE? I OWN A SR5 TACOMA EXTENDED CAD A 4X2 NOT A 4X4. IT IS A 3.4 V6 190 HP. 5 SPEED. I GET AROUND 25 TO 28+ MPG. THIS IS FANTASTIC FOR A V6. MY OTHER FRIENDS WANT TO LOOK MACHO SO THEY GOT THE 4X4. THEY RE GETTING ABOUT 18 MPG. THEY DO NOT USE THE 4 WHEEL DRIVE AT ALL, THEY JUST WANT TO LOOK GOOD. WITH THE PRICES OF GAS IT DOES NOT PAY TO GET A TRUCK THAT IS JUST FOR THE LOOKS. I HAVE HAD TO SHOW THEN MY GAS SLIPS. THEY THINK I AM KIDING. MY TRUCK CAN REALLY GRT UP AND GO. ALOHA! HAWAIIANBOB ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-24          139117

I ended up buying an 07 SR5 4L V6 Automatic Tacoma. It's pretty nice but Toyota has taken some dumb shortcuts. It's still the best "compact" truck on the market IMO. Averaging about 19.5 MPG the first two tanks and about 40% of that time was in 4WD so I'm pretty happy. ....

View my Photos
HAWAIIANBOB

2007-01-24          139118

ALOHA! IT IS ME AGAIN, I FORGOT TO MENTION THAT MY TRUCK IS A 1998 SR5 EXTENDED CAB. NOT A NEW ONE. EVEN THE NEW ONES CAN NOT GET THIS KIND OF MINAGE, PLUS I AM ALMOST ALWAYS USING THE AIR. THE NEW TRUCKS ARE GREAT IF YOU NEED ALL THAT ROOM AND HP BUT WITH ALMOST 200 HP IT IS ENOUGH FOR ME, REMEMBER BE LIGHT ON YOUR FOOT, PLUS I DO NOT USE ALL MY 5 GEARS. I GO FROM 1ST TO 3RD TO 5TH ON A REGULAR STOP SIGN. NOW I THINK THE NEW ONES ARE 6 SPEED, IT MAKES IT EVEN WORST. ALOHA! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-01-24          139125

A brand new 98 SR5 would probably a better truck than the 07 but for the size and power the 07 does pretty well mileage wise. The mileage is equal to the 98 Ford Ranger I had before and it's not even close to broken in yet. Not bad for a truck that is 15% bigger and has 50% more power. But the efficiency comes from somewhere and in the Tacoma's case it came from weight savings. Composite bed and thin sheet metal. Don't even try sitting on the 07's tailgate, it is likely to bend. There's a guy making metal inner panels for the tailgate that will beef it up a lot but it's sort of sad that they sold it this way. Still, I like the truck so far. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-01-24          139160

I loved the 2000 Tacoma four-banger I had but the wife simply could not get used to such a small truck. I like the older body style too! Of all the imported trucks they have always been my favorite.

That said, I now have a 2005 Dodge Quad-Cab 4x4, HD250 Diesel that cranks out over 16 MPG around town and averaged 18 MPG the first few tanks when I drove it to Maine in a snow storm during the break-in period (running in FWD much of the time). Have not taken a long trip since that time to check it.

But man do I love that diesel!

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login