Go Bottom Go Bottom

CarFAX

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-12-05          120472

Does anyone out there have a carfax going right now?

I need to run a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

PM me or EM me if you don't want to make it public knowledge and to get the vin number I need checked.

THANKS!!

Link:   Email me from the link here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

CarFAX

View my Photos
Boomer1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-01          122099

Beware of Clean CarFax! I looked at two vehicles for sale that each had a Clean CarFax and both vehicles had been hit in the Driver's door and repainted.
CarFax is a good starting point, but let your eyes and hands tell you for sure. Look for vin# tags on major components such as doors, trunk, hood. Look for signs of overspray and feel edges of body panels for roughness. Everything from the factory was smooth.

Beware of flooded vehicles from Katrina. ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-01          122109

Thanks Boomer. I used to to a bit of body work, so your advice is a good reminder.

Anyway, the car now lives in my garage. Other than going back to get an alignment and some other minor front end work, she's gonna be a good runner (and alot cheaper than new!). ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
grinder

2006-01-07          122379

Car Fax only works if the mechanic/shop records the work.
It does not cover "backyard repairs".
IMHO It is a joke! A feel good sales pitch for used vehicals.

CarFAX

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-07          122385

Before there was CarFax,

This is not fool proof but many auto insurance companies order reports on a vehicle to see claims paid before they insure a person new to them. Their report seems to be much of what I know of carfax reports.

If your auto insurance agent is willing to and able to run the report it did cost them 2 to 3 dollars if that. As already been said here does not pick up none insurance paid repairs. It was mostly bodyshop repairs also.

One thing I was always told is try to sell it under artificial light as the light rays often reflect different there than the natural light and will show the differences.

kt ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-07          122390

Say you find a deal on a car, run a CarFAX report, and find the car was licensed in New Orleans during hurricane Katrina, wouldn't you want to know that? But I think CarFAX makes people lazy. They rely on the report but forego a good physical inspection. ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-01-07          122391

My main concern (and the only real value to CarFAX IMO) was to get the registration history. I was able to get that elsewhere and eventually purchased the car. I agree the repair reports would be nice if they were trustable, but they aren't. Too many loopholes. ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
grinder

2006-01-08          122397

AV8R
My intention was to shed a different light on Carfax.
Some dealers really play it up,as if to say if it is not on the carfax it didn't happen.
My view was impressed upon me by an in-law of an in-law at a family gathering. He was a rather good size car dealer in the area and we were talking trucks. His exact words"Carfax are a joke" I think there may be dealers who make a so called "clean repair" and stick it out on the lot with a clean carfax.
Yes, the registration history is helpful, but I think it stops there.
Just some food for thought.
How many miles did you get on your Hog this year?

CarFAX

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-08          122404

Anyone know what shows up on a CarFAX report when a vehicle is lemon-lawed? Anything? What happens to lemon-lawed vehicles anyway? ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
oneace

2006-01-08          122406

They get put in the crusher. ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-09          122449

On the lemon law buy backs..based upon what happened here with a GM dealership and it was one of a few on a national TV show a few years ago...
THEY SELL THEM..

On this tv show (one of the new's types) they did not tell the new buyers.

My opinion - you will find the lemon law vaires from state to state more than you think. There may be a requirement to "crush them" in one but in another at most they must tell the next buyer it's history.

CarFAX

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-09          122461

So, if they crush them a CarFAX report is irrelevent since the VIN is dead. What would a CarFAX report look like on an uncrushed lemon? Would it say "buyback" or would it just show a sale to the dealer with a registration change? It wouldn't surprise me to find a dealer in a "crush" state shipping them off to a "don't have to crush" state. ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-09          122463

Ken,
Since your last post I took a few minutes and did a search on the wonderful wide world web that Al Gore created.

It was easy to find all kind of sites for lemon law. One I clicked on Lemon Lawsuit.com said the laws vary widely from state to state and to search for your state.

The thing I found most comical was there is also a site for hang on, checking to see if the car you are buying was a lemon law car! So what does that tell us?

As to Katrina there was one major insurance company that promised to crush any auto they totalled out there. It would seem that would be a normal action if an auto was damaged bad enough to be totalled it would be. Not so per a national consumer radio program.

If I saw an insurance company's name on a title history I would steer away from it.

I think of lot of the purchasing of a used anything comes down to know the owner or meet the owner. If a dealer is worth a hoot they know who the owner was if local and will be willing to share that with you. MY OPINION HERE. I have had dealer ask me before is I minded them sharing my name and phone number with potential buyer. If I am asking for top dollar on a trade in and am telling truth why wouldn't I?

As to shipped in auto's, well there is a reason they were shipped in, correct?

kt ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-01-09          122468

kthompson, agree with everything you said but I was specifically wondering how a lemon-law car would show up on a CarFAX report. The carfax web site says this:

Lemon File
Many states across the country have Lemon Laws to protect consumers from buying a bad car. A full CARFAX Report can help you avoid these problem cars

But the words "can help you avoid these problem cars" are weasel words. It doesn't say something concrete like "cars that are bought back on lemon laws will be indicated on a carfax report". ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-01-09          122469

I think this gets back to a saying I first heard with diamonds, if you don't know diamonds be sure you know the seller.

Either you can trust the seller or my opinion you should not trust the seller even with a Carfax or any other report.

Even with laws and contracts, no company is any better than their own morals.

This makes me wonder about a site for "Dealers I no longer deal with and why". To be fair there are buyers that are not honest either. ....

CarFAX

View my Photos
Peters

2006-01-09          122470

AV8R - What happened to the vision of an all diesel garage?

ie. Jeep Liberty Diesel is not a Jeep Grand Cherokee. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login