Go Bottom Go Bottom

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
reobeo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-20          74544

hello all....can anyone out there tell me anything about a rear mount snowthrower..i ve seen only once in a picture and would like to get one for my old ford 9n tractor...it is a simple V type blower about 5ft wide that is pulled behind a tractor with a chute that only throws left or right...i m looking for a make and modle and if i can purchase new or used somewhere...thanks reo.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-20          74553

Reo, first of all I don't think any company except small welding shops have made those blowers in the last 25 years. I have one shown as pic. # 13 in my profile.

There are lots of them around and they usually sell for very little money, here in Southern Ontario at least.

There are two varieties, there was one style where the 'V' opened forwards, and while blowing snow while driving forward does sound like a better idea at first, in practice it wasn't very practical, unless it was VERY dry snow it got packed down by the tractor driving over it and the blower wouldn't move it.

The most practical had the 'V' opening to the rear so that you still had to back up to clear any snow. This worked very well if all you had to do was blow the snow off a straight driveway in an open area, like across a field. Because of the V design though it left a lot of snow behind if you had to work in around buildings, etc. in tight quarters. The lack of abvility to turn the chute was a big problem in these circumstances also.

They're dead simple to make, let me know if better pic.'s or spec.'s are of interest.

Best of luck (or Bon Chance). ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-21          74608

Thanks Murf I have seen 2 of those parked in hedge rows and wondered how they would work. Of course 1 owner said fabiulous ( how come in hedge row then?).

I had looked at doing ong from a siliage blower figuring bigger has gotta be better...

Anyway thanks for the good explaination. Harvey ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-21          74623

Harvey, the one pictured is mine, it was inherited sort of, it belonged to an older gent who was a nieghbour and good friend for many years, it was 'factory built' by a local welder/inventor who was VERY well known for his quality.

I have tried it myself, and I can tell you, fabulous is a good word for it, as long as you know it's limitations. In fact I loaned it to a friend of mine at my cottage one year, he used it to keep about 2 miles of private lane open with an 8N, he said it was cold & slow work, but it did it just fine.

The big advantage of these units is how little power it takes to run them, this particular unit is 6' wide and I have tried it on machines as small as a L245, and it worked just fine, mind you that was only about 6" of poweder snow.

They're dead simple to build but I'm not sure I would want to try running a fan as large as a silage blower, and cutting it down would be almost as much work as starting from scratch.

Best of luck. ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
Art White

2004-01-22          74764

Harvey, you just think that if a large fan with a deep blower in a provenost is that good how much better would a bigger blower be! ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-23          74775

YUP BIGGER I'd be blowing things way too far. I'd probably put a good stream up into hi-voltage lines... I wonder what burnt green paint would look like.

ART I am just happier an having more fun than "2 blind faggots at a wienny roast" with the blower you sold me. I just am amazed at how good a well designed blower works compared to the cheap one I had before. ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-01-23          74791

Harvey, you mentioned that you now had a well designed blower compared to the cheap one you had before.

I'm probably going to be looking at 3 PT blowers for next winter so I was wondering what was your cheap one and what is your well designed one? I like to do alot of research and get alot of opinions if I can before I make such an investment whether new or used (as I'm sure most of us do). Thanks, Dave.

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-23          74868

NHDaveD I had a little 4' 2 stage blower with a 3blade fan 16-18" diamiater 5-6" deep. The metal in it was probably 12gaudge and some was lighter. Cheezy non replaceable cutter and chincy skid shoes but they were adjustable. I was lucky to be able to blow snow 15' with a good tail wind.

I bought a used Pronovost P680 from Art up in Sangerfield. It was well used but very solid.

There is quite a bit in the archives about them.

BUT it depends on what you need to do with it. If you plan on blowing just a couple of light fluffy snows you can get away with a light weight cheap one. $1500-$2000. If you are planning on making it earn its keep go with the Loftness or Pronovost brands there are a couple of other good ones also. Pronovost builds a lighter weight version of what I have. But for a heavy duty one plan on $2600-$3500 depending on size and options. ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-01-23          74878

Harvey, thanks for the info. Sometimes it is the light fluffy stuff and sometimes its the heavy foot or 2 Nor'easters we get in central New England. I'll keep your info in my data banks for when the time comes.

I did have a chance at a year old meteor brand. It was a 60" with an electric shoot rotation and he said it would have worked on my JD 755, being at the bottom of the PTO HP range. What does anyone know about meteor? ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
TomBaldwin

2004-01-23          74900

NHDaveD, I am in the same boat as you and am interested in a rear mount snow blower for my 755. I would never give up the front blade as it does agreat job with the wet slush we sometime get near Philly. I replaced the metal cutting blade with a rubber squeege and raised the skid shoes all the way up so the blade rest directly on the driveway. Does a great job on my asphalt driveway but the blower would be nice for the big one.

Tom ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-24          74973

reobeo my neighor has one those V type blowers. Its a 6' wide, but his JD has trouble turning it. I get some pictures for you. While he out using it tomarrow.
NHdave my snow blower is a new meter rear mount. (see pic) I bought it because how heavy duty the blower was for the money. There only $1600 for a 60" new. I got a brand new used 51" blower for $860 and $205 for a drive shaft. The guy never used it. ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-25          74986

TomBaldwin the blower in tandem with the blade is an ideal usage plow with the blade and blow the banks out. Its a lot easier than repushing banks. ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-25          74987

NH DaveD
I will vouch for the pronovost!
Put a 54" PTO on my7500,works great
I paid 1400.00 new. You might try
Nash up in Colebrook for a used one.
Cab is a must have,it's next on my list. ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-25          75062

grinder a cab is a must. I wounder if we can get a group discount. Who here needs one for a B7500. By the way is sent you pictures of the mower hardware.
To everyone i have some pictures of my neighor's V style snowblower. ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-26          75070

Its gotta be Orange.
I didn't get them ,would you try again ?
I found a used curtis soft cab off a 7500
what are they worth? ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2004-01-26          75148

Whats he want for it and were is it. Does it have a heater? ....

rear mount snowthrower

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-27          75153

itsgottobe
Thanks for the pics on the MMM.
I sent you the info on the cab.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login