Snowblower Suggestions : Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal  -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum and Review Snowblower Suggestions : Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal -- Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 03-27-2001, 19:07 Post: 25977
Kelly Carlson

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Snowblower Suggestions

We live at the top of a hill in central NH, with a mile long, 11 degree pitch access road which is about 14' wide - plus about another 3' to 4' on each side for piling up the snow before blockage by trees. This winter's 10+ feet of total snow, coupled with frequent 4' to 6' drifts, has proven to be a bit too much for my NH TC35D with a 7 1/2' Curtis plow. Our two largest storms each took 2 days of work, plowing and moving snow to get the road open.I think that a snowblower is the best solution, and am hoping for suggestions on front vs. rear mount, brands, approximate price, and maximum size that my TC35D can handle. Dealer recommends the Pronovost P-680, at $2,900 with hydraulic controls, is relatively expensive. Suggestions???

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 03-28-2001, 06:58 Post: 25993
TomG

TP Contributor

Snowblower Suggestions

Pronovost and others seem to be well regarded. Meteor, which I have, is less expensive and I haven't heard of a serious problem with them. It sure would be handy to get a 7' blower for a 14' road, but I doubt the tractor would manage a 7' blower, even with stretching the recommended HP. Having to make a 1-mile 3rd pass is going to add about a half-hour to the clearing time. If you want to stretch HP recommendations, you sort of reason that a tractor will handle light snows OK and just has to go slower in heavier snows. And, maybe a few really heavy ones will cause a lot of difficulty. So, how many heavy snows are there, and how much extra time does going slow take compared to the time a 3rd pass takes each and every time? I don't know the answer, but that's how I'd think it through. An alternative might be to just clear 12' of the 14' road. I've been talking up 3ph blowers even since I got one. However, I might think of a front mount if I had a mile by 14' to do. It's mostly a question of time. I don't mind driving backwards. In most snows, my tractor had enough power to run in the 3rd of my 4-range transmission. I run in second range, because it's too tricky to drive backwards any faster. Front mount blowers may be fairly specific to a tractor, which might run the costs up. In addition, the costs really go up if you don't have a mid-PTO.

03-28-2001, 09:02 Post: 25998
Dave M

Filter by User
 Snowblower Suggestions

I also have a Meteor 3 point blower. I paid about $1500 for the 75" model. The weak points of this machine are the lack of adjustable skids and the exposed drive chain and sprocket that powers the auger. On the other hand it is half the money of a truly superior blower, and compares very well to my friend's John Deere blower. Bolt-on skids are available and help prevent throwing stones. Blowers are great for snow, but can be broken by trying to blow tree limbs, rocks, mufflers and other car parts, etc. Beer cans and 2 liter bottles seem to just go through Smile. The drive chain can be broken by a surprisingly small rock if it gets between the chain and a sprocket, and then you might also be looking at replacing a sprocket and/or bearing. It is not really worth while to try to blow less than 3" of snow on gravel, especially if the ground is not frozen solid. I think a plow is faster for small amounts of snow, anyway.

My 500' of driveway is no problem, but I would seriously consider looking into a front mounted blower if I had a mile of road to clear more than once or twice a year.

03-28-2001, 09:18 Post: 25999
Dave M

Filter by User
 Snowblower Suggestions

I almost forgot that it paid for me to shop around for my blower. Two dealers less than 3 miles apart were 25% apart in price.

Have you checked out the Pronovost web site to make sure your dealer offered you the right model?

Link:   Pronovost Snowblowers 

03-28-2001, 11:29 Post: 26003
Dave Wells

Snowblower Suggestions

Kelly, a couple of thoughts that might be helpful to you... I have a JD4100Hydro with turf tires, and I have a JD 47" snowblower mounted on the front via a quick-tach hitch. The snowblower has hydraulic chute angling, and remote discharge cap control (via cable). I live here in western NH, and was fortunate enough to get to experience some of this winter's snow! I'd really suggest that you get a front-mounted snowblower - you're gonna be doing enough snowblowing that operating in a half-way turned around position will get very difficult after a while. It's a lot easier to operate, especially if you're trying to get up close to something, when you are looking ahead - not behind. I'd also strongly recommend that you get the controls for both chute angling and discharge - whether the controls are hydraulic, cable, etc. It's makes all the difference in the world to be able to change where you're blowing snow without getting off the seat. Not only does it remove a large "Pain-in-the-a.." factor, but you'll get done a lot faster too. Another suggestion I'd make is to get a snowblower that is JUST a little wider than your tractor - you want it wide enough to cover your wheel tracks, any FEL mounting arms that extend out, etc. By getting one just wider than your tractor, you maximize your tractor's maneuverability. Of course, a snowblower isn't as fast as a plow under most circumstances - but a good one is still pretty fast, and you don't end up with huge piles that take until June to melt, either! And, personally, I think that it makes your place look a lot better - once again, the snow you've removed is spread out over a large area, no big piles of slush, etc. I'm not really familiar with your tractor, and I don't know what a good snowblower for your machine will cost you. I strongly suggest that you get a 2-stage snowblower - stage 1 is the auger that feeds the snow to stage 2, which is the fan that blows the snow out the discharge chute. I strongly suggest that you get a shaft driven, not a belt driven unit. (You'll probably find that any you look at will be shaft driven, but I don't know for sure...) Belts are notorious for stretching and slipping, which translates into loss of power. Finally, if you are comparing two units with a different fan speed, the one with the higher fan speed will probably work better - all other things being equal. I'm really impressed with how well mine works - it has all the characteristics that I suggested to you. I ended up doing a lot of snowthrowing for myself and the neighbors that required me to cut through some pretty deep drifts. And, while most of the snow was nice easy-to-blow powder, the last 2 storms (8-10 inches and 14-16 inches) left a lot of wet heavy stuff. Not once did I have to get off the tractor to unclog the discharge chute! Hope this helps - Dave Wells

03-28-2001, 12:53 Post: 26006
Steve Ciarcia

Snowblower Suggestions

Funny thing you should mention tractor snowblowers. I went through a lot to finally solve my problem. I have a 400 foot inclined driveway opening into a 40'x100' parking area. Traditionally, I've used my pickup truck with a plow and a Kubota L2550GST with FEL to clear it. I have a couple snowblowers including a 10HP one for cleanup.

Well, after the first 3-4 feet of snow this year (I'm in northern CT) where I had to use the walk behind snowblower because I couldn't even get the plow out, let alone push 20" of snow, I decided to solve the problem once and for all. I bought a Kubota BX2200 tractor with 50" Kubota 2-stage front-end-mounted snowblower. Since my primary use was snow removal I also got the Curtis hard-sided cab with heater, lights, etc, and wheel weights. Since part of your question was the cost, I paid $17,000 (of course, this includes the tractor too). I can go back and check but I think the snow blower was $2800.

To answer your obvious question, why didn't I just add the snowblower to the L2550? Well, I have a FEL and backhoe on that one and I don't like taking it off. It's still nice to have the front end loader whenever I need it and I don't care to drive backwards with a PTO snowblower (and freezing too).

For the last 3 snow storms (each over a foot) I used the BX2200 and it was great. Hydrostatic drive is absolutely perfect for snow blowing. The plow is still faster and more useful for the open areas but once I have more that 2 foot banks on the side of the road (virtually this whole winter) I have to use a snowblower anyway.

This is an executive toy and there is no cost justification. However, if you have a long driveway and lots of snow, there is no substitute for a front-mounted tractor snow blower.

--Steve

03-28-2001, 17:37 Post: 26022
Kelly Carlson

Filter by User
 Snowblower Suggestions

Just a note of thanks for all the helpful suggestions!

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Snowblowers / Snow Plows / Removal Forum

Thread 25977 Filter by Poster:
Dave M 2 | Dave Wells 1 | Kelly Carlson 2 | Steve Ciarcia 1 | TomG 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
cowrider

Belarus - Rear hydraulic outlet-settin up hydraulic top link
Rear hydraulic outlet-settin up hydraulic top link

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ How to build a Front End Loader Snow Blade
+ 3pt Snowblower Brands
+ 3 point snow blowers
+ McKee Snowblower Chute Operation
+ 3 pt to front mount
+ Woods SB72 Snowblower
+ Front End Snowblower vs 3 PH Rear Mounted Snowblo
+ Kubota B2782 snowblower 63 front mount
+ Garden tractor with snowblower