Go Bottom Go Bottom

When is the best time to Apply Salt

View my Photos
Ernies
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2021-01-27          199969

I just cleared my driveway it is hovering around 32-33 so the pavement is wet. It will be 10 degrees at midnight so all that wwet will be black ice, and the drive is steep.

Is it better to apply the salt now when it is wet or better to wait until it ices over to apply salt and then sand?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2021-01-27          199972

Apply sand now, later when it freezes up it will be sandpaper. When the temps go back up the ice will melt and the water will dry up.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Ernies

2021-01-27          199974

Thanks Murf, sounds like a plan.

Still on the salt issue, I have been mostly using sand as I do not like to get salt on my dogs paws.

So I am out of sand right now and opened one of my salt bags I bought a couple of years ago.

Hmm now I remember I bought them the day before a blizzard and they had no more rock salt. So I bought water softener Pellet salt. Getting old so I did not notice the word PELLET.

God this looks like it is useless. Glad i have 400 bounds of it ha ha ha.

Just for fun I tossed some of it out on the drive, it does not break up even if I stomp on it. What a pain :-(

Hope the dog does not snag them up like food, take him on the leash first I guess.

Oh the joy ! ....

View my Photos
mbailey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-01-27          199975

I've been in the plowing business 25 years and yes you should put the salt down right after clearing the driveway. If you have a lot of skim or pack from tire tracks, you will wind up with some slush that should be cleared away once it is broken up by the salt. Once the sun hits the blacktop (along with the salt) you will have wet blacktop followed by dry with some staining from the salt which will dissipate with rain or more snow. If you wait until ice has formed, the salt will break down the ice enough that it can be cleared after some time. Keep in mind that rock salt only works effectively down to around zero to maybe 5 below.

As for pets, sand is your best bet. It provides the grit for traction and once the sun hits it melting will follow. There are some pet friendly products out there such as calcium chloride mixtures but make sure to bring your credit card in case you run short on cash.

On your other issue with the rock salt being blocked up, the only solution there would be to get the hammer out or just toss it and take the loss. Not sure how your spreading the salt but one bit of advice would be to get a set of rubber coated gloves if your not using a spreader. Your hands will thank you later!! ....

View my Photos
Murf

2021-01-28          199977

mbailey, I think you might have read the OP a little too quickly.

He said the driveway was wet after clearing and was afraid it would be come black ice, inferring there was no hard pack, just water.

He also said the problem wasn't rock salt caked together, it was that he mistakenly bought water softener salt instead of rock salt.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Ernies

2021-01-28          199978

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbailey | view 199975
... On your other issue with the rock salt being blocked up, the only solution there would be to get the hammer out or just toss it and take the loss. Not sure how your spreading the salt but one bit of advice would be to get a set of rubber coated gloves if your not using a spreader. Your hands will thank you later!!

To spread the salt or sand I put a 5 gallon bucket on a had truck, and spread it by hand with a feed scoop. I dropped a hand full in a puddle last night. Yup easy way to get cracked fingers handling this stuff!

Good News :
-after dip to 9 degrees I still have a puddle

Bad News
-the Pellets are still pellets even after spending 18 hours in a puddle
-even stomping on them with my foot still does not crush them
-the car tires having limited impact on breaking these hard compressed blocks of Pelletized salt.

Next steps

-see if I can find a way to crush them without dedicating myself to a lost cause.

If no chuck them!

Thanks for everyones advice really appreciated

Ernie ....

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2021-02-24          200065

thinking outside in the snowdrift.. wonder how about an old meat grinder, may need to modify the exit plate.. just grind it down the pellets. yeah proably take awhile.

short part of my drive is concrete. wife leaves early before i can plow so theres a packdown on that area. so i spread a little salt and some of that safety "salt" white tiny pebbles (couple years now and no issue with concrete) and then i spread out stone dust on that area with the dark areas of the stone dust that attracts the sun helping melt and when freezes i get the "sandpaper".. the rest of drive is gravel(600'), when the temp get up 34+ I'll run the gobuggy with the knobby tires on the gravel section to breakup the pack and leaves a bumpy surface when it freeze overnite instead of a smooth skate . ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2021-02-24          200066

Earnies after you get thoroughly frustrated trying to crush those pellets take a look at this youtube clip.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login