Go Bottom Go Bottom

540 PTO speed too slow for snow blower

View my Photos
jonstark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-06          188852

I have a 1991 Kubota L3010 with a single speed 540 PTO. My 3 pt snow blower obviously needs a faster input as snow just dribbles out and it gets clogged up far too often.

Is there a way to boost the output of the PTO or is there an attachment I can install to up the speed into the snow blower?

Thanks for your advice.
jon

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-07          188859

Jon, check to see what PTO speed your snow blower is. If a 540 PTO unit (which if made for USA market think it will be) you need to be sure to run engine RPMs to get the full 540 pto speed. If that is not the issue then would guess issue with your unit.

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-07          188873

There is no data plate on the snow blower to tell me the input required but judging by the smaller diameter impeller and it's weak performance I am betting it's a 1000 rpm blower. Just wondering if there's any way to bump up the speed at either end of the drive to get it working better. I hate having to run the Kubota at red line for hours and jumping on and off to unclog the chute.

jon ....

View my Photos
taogden
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-07          188874

http://www.surpluscenter.com/Brands/Comer/SPEED-INCREASER-13-1426.axd

assuming it is a 3 point blower, you might try replacing the gear box with this unit. For 540 in it will give a 730 and 3000 rpm outputs the horsepower rating is well within your tractor. All depends on how skilled you are at modifying things.
There is also another one a little less expensive and a single shaft, and the horsepower is acceptable output at 540 would be in the 793 rpm range. ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-07          188876

That thing would take some real monkey motion to fit it onto my application.

I'm out in the woods with stone axes and bear skins for tools and can't fabricate for beans either.

Looking for bolt-on.

jon ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-02-07          188877

Not sure this is always true but I thought there was difference between the splines of a 540 and 1000 rpm shafts. However someone could have swap off shaft or I may be way wrong.

How does the power from the tractor transfer to the blower, is by gears, belts or chains? If belts could they be slipping? At same time gears and chains wear.

I liked the illustration of being in the woods. LOL ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-07          188878

Tractor to blower is standard PTO drive shaft.

Different model Kubotas used to have two speed PTO available. I would thereby assume that the splines are the same.

No kidding about being in the woods. At least it's only 5 miles from home when I give out from beating my head on frozen equipment.

jon ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-02-07          188879

I don't know if your tractor is one, but I know some of that vintage of Kubota had an odd PTO setup, the engagement lever was center off, right or left on. The hook was that one way was intended to run the mid-mounted PTO, other the rear PTO.

If you set the the lever the wrong direction the PTO speed is not what you think it is.

The other option that is possible, but really not pleasant, is that the clutch is worn to the point that it's slipping and because of that not spinning the blower fast enough.

Snowblowers are probably the singular best thing for eating a tractor clutch.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-02-08          188887

Jon, today as I was using one of my tractors thought on this thread and wondered about your comment of running it at or near the red line. When I read it earlier wondered then but today looking at my Kubota RPM meter the only red line is to show the rpm to get the 540 pto speed. If you are not running the full 540 pto rpm speed it can make a lot of difference with an implement made to run 540. I know with cutter dropping engine rpm say 300 rpms makes a major impact on the cutter. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2014-02-08          188889

Snow blowers can wear out! Check the gap on the blower blades. Any more then a dime and you have wear or a bad fit. ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-09          188892

Someone has posted a speed increasing gear box that bolts right onto the PTO. I'll check compatibility tomorrow (and price $).

I do think that fixing the gap is a good bit of the problem.

Would running a couple weld beads along the impeller edge suffice?

jon ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188893

Jon,

It's not too difficult to check the output RPM on the impeller. Most auto shops have an rpm detector that can be used without fear of being injured by the snowblower. These things use a piece of reflective tape material that the rpm meter detects upon each revolution. The detector can be used from several feet away.

I'm thinking your primary issue rests with the small diameter of your fan impeller. Larger fans produce a tremendous amount of blade tip speed, throwing snow like crazy. The downside to the larger impeller is that it also consumes a heap more horsepower, forcing you to slow way down in heavy snow conditions.

If you believe your fan impeller is worn, running a bead of weld on the outer edge of each impeller blade is the way to go. This will help create the vacuum needed to assist in blowing snow, but it will also increase the impeller's diameter just a bit.

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if you know the diameter of your impeller? I have a 26" impeller on my Lorenz blower and I'm powering it with 23 horses from the PTO. No problem at all. I can throw snow about 50 feet with it......but my travel speed is pretty danged slow.

Joel ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-09          188903

26 inches!?!?!? Wow!

Mine isn't but maybe 16-18" diameter.

The tip gap is at least 1/4 to 3/8 inch tho.
I wonder if bolting on some flaps of stiff nylon or teflon to close up the gap would work.

jon ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-09          188905

Jon,

I'm sure that the addition of the stiff nylon strips would work, but not for very long. Any gravel, ice, twigs, etc..would quickly destroy it.

You might look into replacing the fan, or at least taking it to a good welding shop to have it reconditioned. Welding shops charge a minimum fee, along with an hourly rate.....making a project like this rather expensive. Any good propeller repair shop would be able to do this for you, however.

If you have a friend who knows how to weld, I'd look into removing the fan from the blower and taking it to him for the repair. Stacking two beads on the outer end of each fan blade should do the trick. If it's a bit too large after getting it back, you could then take an angle grinder to each blade of the fan to remove a fraction of the excess metal, until it just fits inside the outer fan wall, without contacting it.

Better yet, you might be able to trade off your blower for one with a much larger fan diameter. Doing that would make you very happy!

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-02-09          188906

Just be careful if you weld onto the impeller!!

It's extremely difficult to get an even edge. A better solution is to either add on a strip of heavy rubber like that used on conveyor belts or to weld on a piece of flat bar, it already has a flat edge.

In either case be sure to add them on to the BACK side so as to keep the business side as clean and smooth as possible.

But before you do either you can quickly try an experiment to see if it will help any. Using a large torch or heat gun to heat the fan housing some. Then pack it full of wet snow and before it sets up run the blower at idle for a minute or two. Then park it. This will create a form-fitting layer of ice on the inside of the fan housing.

You can then try it to see if it helps any.

IMHO the clearance doesn't matter as much as some think. As soon as you hit a pile of snow what doesn't go up the chute packs in there and seals it up anyways.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-02-10          188915

Clogged chutes can be caused by several things the ones that are the main ones for me are:

1)Wet Snow
2)Not running engine at about 3000 RPM to get 540 at PTO speed
3)Trying to go too fast for conditions
4)not having chute deflector at correct angle for type of snow

I have a Kubota 50" blower with two stage and fan size of about 18" The gap on the fan blade is probably 1/4 inch.

It throws snow and ice 50 to 60 feet unless it is slushy wet stuff where I have to be careful or it will clog and only dribble out because a clog is about to form.

Are you having problems in all snow conditions or just in some when its the slushy type?

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-11          188925

I run the engine up where the tach is pointing at the 540 tick mark. Dry snow is little problem but it only throws it ten feet at best. I hate the wet stuff! Grrr... I have hst so can control speed handily.

jon ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2014-02-11          188927

Not famailar your tractor and blower unit but I've had a near simaliar occurance for very short times and have found that the key on one shaft on the blower has sheared and just catches off and on. also could the impeller be 'slipping' on its drive shaft? Just my thoughts and .000001cents ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2014-02-11          188928

On my tractor I have a mid PTO at 960 RPM and a rear at 540. My front blower is designed for 960 RPM. Given the 10 foot throw with powder is it at all possible you have a retrofitted front blower on the 3PH? What is the make model of the blower?

Woodie a neighbor has the same blower I do and had the key problem you mention, not sure if it had the matching diminished performance though, have to check with him.... ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-02-21          189092

Jonstark, any success yet? ....

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-21          189096

Embarrassingly yes. (palm slaps forehead)

I have found that directing the chute in the same direction as the impeller is turning makes a huge difference in performance. It throws the snow further and doesn't clog up.

Now... If that danged little snow blower was only 3 feet wider. 4 feet just don't git er done.

jon ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-21          189107

Jon,

I purchased my 4' Lorenz 430 for the sole purpose of being able to use it in tight spaces, as well as for clearing city sidewalks.

There are a few tight places that a larger snowblower just won't fit into. One of those areas happens to be between two greenhouses that I get called upon to clear out after each new snow.

The general trend, here in the U.S., is to always move up to bigger and more powerful equipment. I live in open farm country, where most farmers are now running 500+ horsepower tractors. I'm surprised how many times those farmers call on me to till up a garden for them, or to blow snow off of their driveways.

Little is sometimes better.

Joel

View my Photos
jonstark

2014-02-22          189144

I've got a fleet of little stuff Joel. It's time to get some bigger equipment for the big jobs. Clearing 3/4 mile of woodroad with a 4' blower is a lot of backing up. As soon as things dry up after mud season I'm going to "adjust" the fleet. Selling the 54 Ford Jubilee first thing. Then the Kubota as soon as I find something a bit more functional. If somebody wants the 4' snowblower it's going up for sale too.

jon ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2014-02-23          189145

Jon,

I couldn't help but smile as I read through your post. I really do understand your position on this.

I'd like to move up to a larger L-series Kubota with the new cab and the fancy HST-plus transmission, but my piggy bank doesn't hold that much coin.

Keep us posted on the new tractor when you get it. I'm curious as to what you plan to replace your smaller fleet with.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Murf

2014-02-24          189169

Jon,

It might be a bunch less spendy to just move the blower to the front of the tractor if the unit you have foes everything else without any problem.

We've got several rear drive / front blower setups, they work really well, and as you say, sitting turned around gets old really fast.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2014-02-24          189172

The more I learn of snow and ice issues the more I find like 100 degree dog days of summer.

The ice we had two weeks back is enough to remind those who moved here why they moved and to remind us who grew up how blessed we were to be born here. I know all areas have their weather issues as we have our heat and humidity along with a hurricane along and along, some areas have their tornadoes which I find the most scary.

Thing that puzzles me the most is how around Washington DC and up the east coast there is so much snow and ice with all the hot air located in DC. Just puzzles me.

If we ever needed to ask we do no, God Please Bless the USA. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login