Go Bottom Go Bottom

How much front weight for 3pt snowblower

View my Photos
Briguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-09-27          165965

I've got an older 3pt snowblower i bought cheap and wondered how much weight i would need up front to counter balance it. I figure the blower (a meteor)weighs about 300-400 lbs.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-27          165966

Mount it up. See if the front end is light 3-400 lbs is not much but it may hang back too far. Do you have a front loader? If not I'd see if I could drive up steepest part of snow blow area if front does not come up you are ok. If front comes up add weight til it stays put. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-09-27          165969

I wouldn't be as concerned about counter-balance with that unit as I would be about the driveline.

If memory serves that 650 has ~15hp at the PTO. I'm guessing based on the size of your machine and your guess of the weight that the blower is 48" unit.

Snowblowers are probably the #1 cause of burned out PTO clutches. It faces backwards and is typically used in bad light and in conditions that aren't exactly condusive to watching closely.

IMHO, a 4' blower on small machine with lake effect snow is recipe for disaster. Be very careful!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2009-09-27          165992

It's not just a question of the front lifting off, but of it pressing down hard enough for steering control. There's no formula for how much down-force is enough. And you can control it by positioning the blower. When you're blowing snow, the blower shoes are presumably scraping on the ground, so it won't weight the rear very much. So try driving (slowly) in transport mode to see if you can steer OK. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-09-28          165997

Rear mount blower/front end loader combo. Kinda like fresh Iowa sweetcorn and real butter, just don't get no better than that. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2009-09-28          165999

If it helps any, the rule of thumb on a small machine like this is that you want the weight split approximately 40% on the front wheels and 60% on the rear wheels in order to maintain adequate traction and steering.

There are other factors involved though and the above is not a hard & fast rule, just a guide.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Radoubs

2009-10-06          166220

Until recently I had a JD4110 which has 15 hp on the PTO and I ran a Meteor 48in 3 pt snowblower. I never had any problem with this set-up. I had an FEL and thw weight was o.k.If you don't have an FEL, you will need extra weight in front because you will loose traction on your front wheels. ....

View my Photos
Briguy

2009-10-26          166543

Thanks for all the responses guys. I'm sorry for not getting back to you sooner. Had puter failure. I dont plan on using the blower much, got a plow on my truck but thought I might play with it a little when the snow hits. I'll try it and add front weights until i get the right match. Again, thanks for all the response. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login