Go Bottom Go Bottom

Snowblower or Loader for todays Storm

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-13          149269

Ok, I still have my loader on and have the choice of just putting on the grader blade for todays' snow and icy mix.

It is a tough call as once I put the blower on the loader choice is done for the season. With heavy dense ice pellets I think the loader might be able to break it up better.

HMMMMMM wish I did it yesterday when it was warmer though with 20 mile an hour winds.

The local farmers were out with their combines most of the night trying to beat the storm to harvest the corn yesterday. The weather has been wet and gray for weeks now and yesterdays 2 hours of sun from 4PM til dark was a rarity.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-12-13          149274

Back in my Alaska days, I never had much luck with icy, wet, heavy snow and blowers.

Sounds like a blade type job to me. ....

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-13          149281

Well in CT today (12-13-07) temp is below freezing and the snow is really coming down. My Kubota setup for the snow is: FEL mounted versus the front snow plow blade and a Woods RB72 rear blade. This I hope will do fine. I do have a gravel driveway and as much as I want the Kubota front mount snow blower the gravel drive is just not conducive with a blower.

So we will see how good this setup works since this will be the first time using it in the snow. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-13          149288

In northwest NJ I have a couple of inches of frozen dense crystals, forecast is for this to continue and change to snow after dark with acumulations from 5 - 8. Looks like I am about to add the RB72 to the B7610 and do it with the loader and blade.

The trees are starting to ice up, hope we don't lose power. Got the wood stove going but no electric backup for the well, time to fill a bath tub I guess.

Put the driveway markers up yesterday while it was mild just beforre dark. Waited so long because the oak trees were still coming down and still are.

I better go out to the garage and move all the stuff (towable Leaf blower, pressure washer, 33 ton wood splitter, front snow blower, 60 inc mower deck on Larrys moweraxles) so I can get to the RB72 blade. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-12-13          149289

Dennis:
Yep we all go with the RB72 in combination with the FEL. Being the width of the front bucket is slightly narrower than the rear blade, you can get more unit pressure on the ice and poke through it. The ice storm mostly missed us but I got a bunch of gas for the generators just in case as well as full propane tanks for Mr. Heater. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-12-13          149290

Dennis CTB,

My uncle was one of those guys who was prepared for anything. He had stuff that most people had never thought of for which to make it through a natural disaster.

However, he forgot something very important, and he's since learned his lesson.

During a severe ice storm in the mid-80s, everyone lost their electrical power for several days. My uncle was one of the few people who had a PTO powered generator. However, it was on a pallet located in the far back of his shop, and all of his farm equipment was parked in front of it. In order to move the equipment so that he could get to the generator, he would first have to open the 16' overhead shop door.......which was powered by electricity. OH OH...now what?

After disconnecting the mechanical closer from the door, he was able to get the door open with his Bobcat skid loader.......but only a few feet. He couldn't open it completely, as the Bobcat wouldn't raise it fully open.

It takes a lot of human muscle power to lift a generator and carry over the top of combine headers, swather headers, mowers, balers, etc.......but we did it.

That generator now sits in the front of the shop, and there's a small human powered door for which to gain access to it. We all learn from our mistakes......often the hard way.

Don't know if you'll be able to use the blade to push the snow, since you have so little traction available on that ice. You might have to resort to using the blower.

Joel ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-13          149292

I'm usin the blower. As of this moment we have about 8". Let er come...

Hope we get git another foot...heck make it 2 feet with lots of wind. :-)

PTO Gen is in front of shed and Fuel Oil tank is full...

Did I say I enjoy winter... Only have to work 8hr days this time of year.

I luv it! ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-13          149299

Dennis,

Same situation here but not much ice hit, just heavy snow. I won't install the blower until winter really settles in and I have a good base on the stone driveway. The rear blade with the Western plow skid shoes along with the loader will do fine in this weather.

Saturday we have a major event predicted. Depending upon the temperature and volume of snow, I may think about mounting the blower at some point during or after that. Since it sits in my barn I really don't have to struggle with the weather factor when mounting, so I can be choosy :)

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-14          149302

Cutter,

Is that a front blower? If so have you ever had the front blower subframe on with the loader installed?

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-14          149307

Dennis if you look at Photo #7 under my profile you can see my Kubota B7800 with the FEL, BH and the front snow blade/ snow blower subframe attached. The subframe needs to be removed when the Mid Mount Mower is attached. Kubota did a nice job with implement engineering. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-14          149308

I have found that sometimes the Kubota manuals lose something in translation. My subframe manual (page 20) says that you should never have the loader and subframe installed at the same time. I remember a couple of years ago I was puzzled when the Kubota manual said that you could not have the front PTO engaged while you moved the blower up and down. That was bizarre and Art White said that was ridiculous as well and pointed to the lost in translation issue.

Of course maybe they mean you should never attempt to mount the subframe with the loader attached, rather take the loader off, install the subframe, then you can reinstall the loader, perhaps that is what they mean. The other issue is that the if you have the loader on you need to rig up some chain or something to hold it up and not hanging down too low. How are you keeping it up?

Maybe Art White could weigh in here with some advice. ....

Link:   Kubota Snowblower Sub Frame Manual

Picture Link
Snowblowers / Snow Plows  Snowblower or Loader for todays Storm

View my Photos
bialecki

2007-12-14          149309

Dennis, to your point, I did remove the FEL when I was mounting the subframe for the front blade. Once that was done I used two of my hydraulic car jacks to act as dollies and then once in place I lifted the frame and aligned the mount holes and bolted the frame in place. When mounted just remove the car jacks. The manual to the subframe and the manual for the B7800 does not have any note (that I saw anyway)indicating that the FEL and Subframe can not be mounted at the same time.

I don't see an issue having the subframe on while operating the FEL. The only thing is you reduce your ground clearance from 14" to maybe 8". For my tractor needs this is not an issue, plus the extra weight when plowing is desired. ....

View my Photos
Lwayne
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-14          149318

Just curious, how do the R3's work with winter FEL work ... or any winter work for that matter? I've never used anything except R1's. I've also heard that R4's aren't much for using in the mud; don't know. I suppose it boils down to how deep the snow is, etc. Titan's long bar/medium bar R1's are really aggressive, but at slow speed like riding on a lumber wagon. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-14          149320

Dennis,

Sorry for the slow reply, I just got home. My blower is three point mounted, so when the blower goes on, the rear blade comes off. That is a bit of a pain as I miss the blade at times.

You have the best of both worlds it seems.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-12-14          149321

I have been using turfs (R3) for several years with no chains on pavement and am very happy with them. 4WD makes all the difference. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-12-14          149326

I've got a B7800 with a curtis cab with heat right now for winter work with an LA402 loader with a 60" bucket with R-3's. We don't have a used snowblower right now for it and it would be a manual rotation at best.

It has taken two days of hard pack off the blacktop with just running the bucket at good angle and the lift in float(allows the front tires to stay on the ground to ease steering). Last night with initial clean-up it didn't touch the frozen base at 21 degrees but with clean-up today it was able to loosen up the ice base and scrape 60% off with still freezing temperature at 30 but we did have a good sun. Did notice that the temp gauge never got over the top of the C in cold but the temps in the cab was very nice! I was less gloves and looking to take off the jacket!
I'm going to check it out the engine temperature by degree this weekend as we are supposed to get a foot or better. Not bad with just getting 6"'s the past snow. I've read where different people expressed concern of them not running high and it did seem to me it seems that it should have read higher then it did. IT did feel good for the heat in the cab. I was running in high range and under 2000 rpm in the 1600 rpm range. It was easy to sweep at that speed and what built up in the bucket certainly didn't stop it until I might have been on ice, diff lock time. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-12-15          149329

Cutter; I'm with you on this one. I used to have the "Best of both worlds" with a FEL and a three pt. snowblower on a big farm tractor. I've been on the verge of buying a rear blower for my 4310 but still think they are overpriced for a small blower. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-15          149339

We have a storm on the way tonight. Prediction is 18-30 inches and if the winds follow as forecast, it will be the first blizzard of the season. I barely have a base in now but it will have to do, scraped stones up in a couple of spots today when I was not paying attention.

I was going to mount the blower but it got too late and now I need to head to a Christmas party. I looked at it sitting on blocks in the rear of the bay, glanced at the Case 580 parked in front of it and figured no problem either way, that thirty inches won't even cover the front tires :)

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-16          149355

I do believe this was the nastiest mess I have ever tried to blow. It was about 4" of snow with about 3" of ice balls and rain on top and in it.

I've never had to use 1st R in B range ever to clear main drive before.

I believe I could rent this blower to the concrete companies to move wet concrete.

I feel sorry for anyone who might have to shovel this slop.

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-16          149358

I spent a couple of hours clearing with the loader and the rear blade. The base I created worked well, I hit stone only in one small spot, otherwise the rear blade shoes glided over the snow perfectly. That stuff with the rain mixed in is heavy isn't it!

Been snowing since I finished plowing at 1430, stopped for an hour and now the wind is really kicking. Not so sure about my travel plans for Monday any longer. Time to mount the blower, hopefully will be able to do that this week.

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-17          149368

Out this morning at 5am to clear our drive had 2-3' drifts and wind still blowing hard.

This was much better to blow then that other slop. Have a excellent base in the drive now. Out by wood shed it's still soft. Had adjusted cutting edge and shoes to get a little agressive on main drives and got into the gravel pretty good at woodshed. Oh well. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-12-17          149374

Does a job on the paint doesn't it Harvey :( ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-12-17          149377

Harvey, are you still using the same blower? ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-18          149389

Morning Art Yes it's the same blower. Still looks the same. The rusted solid stuff all loosened up, new shoes, adjustments all working, turn buckle on chute hood. Its stored inside heated garage now and in shed during summer.

The big problem with it is when it goes outdoors from the heated shop the light fluffy stuff sticks to the chute and will slow the flow down. I hate that when that happens...

Just bustin your chops! It is probably the best 3PH blower I have ever seen work and I have watched a few.

Thanks Again

BTW The widow is still talking about a tractor... ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-18          149390

Don I don't worry about the paint so much as the gouging of the fan housing and nicks in the fan.

But you oughta see the brown snow fly. Just damn glad no windows downrange...:-) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-12-18          149413

I would have thought with that woodsplitter of yours you'd have so much spare time that would have been painted by now. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2007-12-19          149416

Can not decide on the color Red, Green or Orange? :-) ....

View my Photos
Art White

2007-12-19          149417

I'd make it green to match your tractor. They had that option! They are red and yellow factory colors otherwise. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login