Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
orangetom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-10          146771

anyone have info on 3 point blowers? I am looking to put a rear blower on bx24, 51 inch meteor? don't know much about blowers,like does a 540 pto spin the fan fast enough to throw heavy snow? any one have experiance with meteor blowers. any info would help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-11          146786

Orangetom,

Three-point snow blowers are the most common of the bunch. They work extremely well, though many people don't like using them due to the fact that they end up looking over their shoulders all day long.

Erskine makes a rear pull blower, which is a solution to this problem, though it does have one big disadvantage in that you'll have to first drive through the snow before blowing it. This is not a good option for those who have to fight deep drifts and hard-packed, wind-driven snows.

There are many makes and models to choose from, and they're all designed to work perfectly with the 540rpm PTO. And yes, they blow snow like crazy.

You'll be more than happy with any model you choose, though some are clearly better than some of the others.

The best blowers use lARGE DIAMETER fans with FOUR blades on the fan. Cheaper blowers use only three blades on a smaller diameter fan. The bigger the diameter of the fan, the further your blower will blow the snow.......but this bigger fan also requires quite a bit of tractor muscle to make it work properly. Such blowers are not suitable for tractors under 25hp.

Your BX24 will easily handle any blower up to 60 inches in size. If you come across a 60 inch blower with a very large fan, you may have to slow down a bit to make it work properly. You won't have any problem operating any of the 50 inch models, no matter how big the fans are, but I would be looking for something in the 5 foot (60 inch)
size for your tractor.

The Lorenz Model 530 is a very nice machine......though it might be just a tad bit bigger than your machine will easily handle. The Lorenz Model 530 is 66 inches wide. The Model 430 is 48 inches wide. There is nothing in between. Other companies make more options available, though few have blower fans as large as Lorenz offers.

You can go only as small as the spacing of the rear wheels will allow for. You'll always want to blow a wider path than your tractor makes to allow for better traction and and a neat, clean finish.

If you need any help or suggestions, please ask.

Joel ....

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-11          146800

I'm going to lean the other direction on this one.

A snowblower is one of the devices that is a) most likely to eat up a PTO clutch, and b) one that just plain eats up horsepower!!

If you want to make any tractor grunt, hook it up to a snow blower and walk it into a snow drift.

When you add to that the kind of snowfalls the north-east is famous for, those heavy wet dumps coming in off the ocean, it just doesn't add up to a pretty picture hanging a 60" or even 51" blower off the back of a tractor with a optimistic best of 18 PTO-hp.

IMHO you don't want to go any wider than the outside width of the back tires and even that is going to tax the machine after a nor'easter comes through.

Best of luck. ....

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-11          146802

I have a Kubota B7610 with the Kubota 50" front mount snow blower model BX2750. I put a Woods RB72 rear grade blade on the back of the tractor. The RB72 is great because you can put the blade in float mode so that it does less biting into the drive.

The installation of a front blower takes a little more time as you have to install the sub frame and the drive shaft to the mid PTO. I built a dolly out of plywood that I slide the sub frame under the tractor with that greatly simplifies the install. The subframe allows you to attach a front blade or brush as well should yoou need one.

For me this is an awesome combination.

-Light snow -- just use the grader blade don't have to sand or salt it cleans up so good

-Deep snow -- Drive forward with the blower no stiff neck

-Driven over snow - Blow it then use grader blade to scrape off what the blower misses

-Wet slushy snow -- reverse grader blade and push backwards

The reasons I would consider a rear blower:

-Relatively short driveway

-lower cost

-need to keep loader on for cleaning horse stalls etc.

- simpler install

I have a loader and when we have gotten an early storm (before I install the blower) I have tried using the loader, it is definitely not the snow tool of choice it.

The pix below shows the tractor with the sub frame mounted. All the added mountng hardware for the sub frame stays on the tractor and does not intefere with the loader or the MMM.

If I was doing driveways commercially I would opt for the heavier version of this blower. The BX2750 is targeted as a consumer blower with a lower price point, thinner metal etc.. I have used it for 3 years and it is holding up well.

Dennis ....

Picture Link
Snowblowers / Snow Plows  3 point snow blowers

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-10-11          146837

Murf,

I appreciate your comments greatly. You're right. Heavy, wet snow, can be a problem even for a smaller blower.

I went with a blower that is actually a bit too big for my tractor. My tractor couldn't possibly handle the blower when at full capacity. However, rarely do I ever face such a situation.

In most cases, the blower gets used after receiving a few inches of snow. I try to get the yard cleaned up right away, because I don't like trying to blow the snow after it's been driven through, or after the wind has been allowed to pile it up. It's no fun trying to blow out hard-packed snow.

In those rare cases where we get 3 feet of snow, I simply take a smaller bite with the blower, and I also slow down quite a bit while blowing. This works great.

There's always a trade-off to consider. Bigger blowers cover more ground on a single pass, making short work of clearing the drive. Smaller blowers can be used at full capacity, without bogging down the tractor.

I picked a blower that falls somewhere in the middle. It's not a whole lot too big, but it's not too small either. Besides, my current blower will be a perfect match for my next tractor.

Joel

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
orangetom
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-17          147080

thank's for the info on 3 point blower's. info gave some insight on thing's to look for. ....

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-18          147114

I tried to post a picture of mine but for some reason I can not make that feature work :(

I have the three point blower with hydraulic chute, a cab and a heater. Only issue with it is when the ground is soft you need to use the bucket instead :) ....

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
Art White

2007-10-20          147159

To blow across soft ground with a three point blower would be the as on gravel, shorten the top link so the cutting edge is aimed up! When on solid surfaces like blacktop leave the top link a little longer to cut the hard pack off the surface. ....

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-20          147165

I added the picture of mine, #16 in my profile. ....

Picture Link
Snowblowers / Snow Plows  3 point snow blowers

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
harvey

2007-10-21          147185

The Meteror blower is a good solid consumer grade blower. They are built quite heavy actually, compared to others I have glanced at.

As Murf said just get enough to cover your rear wheels or a tad bit more.

I can't tell you about a 48" system. I had one years ago (not a meteror) on a 19hp it was a 3 blade fan very light weight CHEAPLY built. It did the job but just barely. But the key to a blower is BIGGEST 4 BLADE fan you can get. Also either hyd or electric chute rotator.

I have a 68" commercial blower now , Thanks Again Art, that blows better than a $2 hooker in a Naval Port. Heavy packed snow at Full throttle is 40+ feet. Heavy wet snow at full throttle 30+ feet.

As for looking back. I do not see it as a big deal. I have looked back watching machinery run ever since I was big enough to run ag equipment. Plowing, disking, planting, mowing, raking, baling, chopping... (now at work its back stabbers) Blowing snow out of my drive is a hour at best. With the scrapers and bucket it is over a hour. When I'm near the road head moves like a owl anyways looking for traffic.

But I do notice the neck does not come around like it used to. Its either age or the injuries. So the exercise is good for it. ....

3 point snow blowers

View my Photos
cutter

2007-10-21          147205

Dennis, thanks! Must have been you that posted my picture. That is a Loftness blower with 20" four blade impeller. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login