Go Bottom Go Bottom

Transporting air compressor

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-03          130384

I need a new air compressor for my shop and found a guy locally selling a nice upright compressor. Can those be laid down horizontally for transport? I know the oil may drain into the cylinders, but if it stands upright for a few days before starting it up will it be OK?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-03          130387

They are normally shipped on a pallet up right. Is it oil less or oiled. If it has oil it is a bit like sitting a four cycle motor on its side. The oil can seep past the rings and fill the heads. You could blow the heads off or burn up the motor. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-03          130391

It's an oil type. If the heads fill with oil then won't it drain back down when standing upright for a few days? It works that way with refrigerator compressors (so I've heard). ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-04          130397

I'd take the cautious route and try to transport it upright. It's just not worth the risk of damaging it. If you can get into your pickup and tie it upright, that would be the way to go. Doesn't mean you can't lay it down for a few minutes while unloading. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-04          130398

I am trying to avoid taking the canopy off the truck. I just recently got all the leaks around it sealed and don't want to undo the work. Maybe I'll just rent another truck for a day. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-06-04          130402

Why not just drain the oil standing up, transport it lying down, then fill it with fresh, new oil? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2006-06-04          130403

Adding to Earthworks post. Let is stand for a few days, turn it over by hand to make sure it is free and then start it up. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-06-04          130416

Great idea guys. Draining it first sounds like just the ticket. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-27          132706

Draining it first sounds like just the ticket.

Now why didn't I think of that?
Especially when I think of everything! ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-07-27          132708

I am trying to avoid taking the canopy off the truck. I just recently got all the leaks around it sealed and don't want to undo the work. Maybe I'll just rent another truck for a day.

Can you borrow a small utility trailer from some body ?? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-27          132712

I ended up having to take the canopy off anyway when I bought a used speeco log splitter. Towing that sucker 200 miles on a 70 mph highway at 40 mph just didn't sound like any fun. Then I discovered how much better the truck drove without it - mileage went up and visibility was improved so I may not put it back on. And the compressor deal fell through so I'm still keeping my eye open for another bargain. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-08-03          132943

When you say, "canopy" do you mean a "cap or topper" When I hear the word canopy I start thinking tarp with poles? LOL.
Funny what folks around different parts of the country call the same thing? Hell for that matter in my own state. Folks in the north (of my state) call "suckers" Red Horse" (Must make them taste better?????)

Nuff of being a smart ass (sorry)LOL, So what is a canopy? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-03          132945

Cap = topper = canopy. The place I bought it from is named All American Canopies and that's all they sell so I adopted their terminology. A cap is something you wear on your head and a topper is a guy whose job is cutting the tops off of trees :) ....

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2006-08-04          132958

Cap = topper = canopy = shell = lid. To repeat a few I have heard over the years ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-08-04          132963

brokenarrow,

Just what is a "sucker?" Here that is someone about to be taken.

But do people there really eat Horses just because they are Red?

Good point on different terms. Ever wonder how many wars have been because of translators?

On a less serious or more serious line, wonder how many conflicts have been between a husband and his wife because of such?

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-04          132967

I nearly got shot once over a miscommunication, but it wasn't the word, but from my wife hearing the *wrong* word.

I left the office early to pick up some glass that I had cut to cover the coffee and end tables in the living room, to prevent the need for using a coaster under a drink.

My wife called late in the day to ask me to pick up a few things on the way home.

When my phone went through to voicemail she rang through to my (then *very* new) assistant to ask her to let me know she was waiting on the phone.

Apparently when the girl said "Oh I'm sorry ma'am, Mr. Murphy is not in the office this afternoon, he slipped out early today, he said he was taking a late lunch and then going to get a piece of glass afterwards and won't be back today." My wife didn't hear the "GL" in glass......

Luckily for me I came home with the glass for the tables!!

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-08-04          132968

Cap = topper = canopy = shell = lid. To repeat a few I have heard over the years
----->>
......>>>I don't like any of them as you can't haul anything tall and they obstruct your vision ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-08-04          132971

lbrown, I don't like them either, for the reasons you mention, but living in a place where it rains 8 months of the year it's nice for keeping stuff dry. Since I took the canopy off my truck the mileage has improved about 3/4 mpg. Not sure if that's mostly due to weight savings or aerodynamics but I'm leaving it off until the rain starts up again. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-08-04          132973

KW: You are not imagining things when it comes to getting better mileage without the "canoshelidtopper". Back in the mid 80's exensive tests were done when canoshelidtopper manufacturers were claiming better mileage. The principle is the cover creates a vacuum behind the tailgate creating drag. Conversely air flowing over the cab as hits the tailgate turns to turbulence and breaks up the vacuum.

Years ago there were "bug shields" that attached on the front of the hood of trucks. What they were suppose to do was direct the air flow over the hood and up over the cab. In some cases, like on my truck, it created a vacuum behind the bugshield and would direct the wind--bugs and all even sand and gravel---down onto the hood. Another side effect was the windshiled wipere squirters wouldn't spray on the windshield but be pulled into the vacuum and onto the hood. What a mess.

Snow plows that ride high up in transit at highway speed can cause a vacuum behind them which literally wants to suck engine cooled air back through the radiator through the front grille. Many a truck has overheated becasue of that. When I use mine, I ride with it as low as possible to the road (DOH! a few times it go too close and I hit a partially flooded roadway and about spun me around--scary!) ....

View my Photos
Murf

2006-08-04          132976

The same applies to the tailgate, it has been proven in wind tunnel testing, and by the TV show Myth Busters (LOL) that driving with the tail gate down actually uses more fuel, not less.

As for the snow plow, almost all of ours are V-plows now, they have very little efect on the airflow to the rad, even fully raised, since there is a huge gap in the middle underneath.

They also partially equalize the impact when you hit a deep puddle!! LOL.

They also make launching small drifts across a road or driveway fun!!

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login