Go Bottom Go Bottom

Shibaura SD2243 fuel system

View my Photos
Handymanetc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-11-26          175373

I keep getting engine oil, overfill, in the diesel fuel system. I know its suppose to have some in it, but it keeps overflowing itself. What am I missing? It's gotta be something simple. I have no manuals or paperwork.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-27          175374

Handymanetc,

I'm not sure what you mean by your opening remarks. I believe you mean that with each use of the tractor, the engine oil seems to climb higher on the engine oil dipstick.

Two things to check.

First, make sure you aren't losing any engine coolant. A blown head gasket can cause your coolant to leak into the engine block.....making it appear as though your engine oil level is increasing.

If your radiator (coolant) is full.....next move to the injector pump to see if it isn't leaking diesel fuel past the seals.....directly into the crank case.

Please keep us posted on your findings.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Handymanetc

2010-11-27          175378

Hey Joel thanks!! Sorry that I wasn't clear. On the fuel system--there is pump that is part of the diesel system. It has to have small amount of engine oil in it. That's all fine, except, I have engine oil going into the pump, as it is supposed to, I think, and I assume that it has a return somewhere. After 4 or 5 hours of steady use, that pump overfills with engine oil and blows out the breather on top. Just started happening a month or so ago after an oil change. I am wondering if there is a clogged port or some sort of adjustment that I should do. Dipstick oil level drops as the "pump" overfills. Has no effect on power or anything but I know it isn't right. Make sense?? ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-27          175387

Handymanetc,

Hmmmm. You didn't mention if you noticed a slight increase in oil pressure on the system. Maybe you don't have an engine oil pressure gauge?

If the problem suddenly appeared after an oil change, I'm wondering if it might be possible that your engine oil filter might be the culprit.

As oil is pumped from the oil pan, it passes through the engine and its components, then returns to the oil pan through the engine oil filter. It sounds to me as though you could have a partial obstruction in the return line.......probably in the filter itself.

I'd replace the engine oil filter and see if that doesn't solve the problem. I know....I know.........you just replaced it. But.....but.....these things aren't always perfect. I've seen quite a few faulty filters in my day.

Even if the filter isn't the problem, it could be that you used the wrong filter......such as one that has a very fine filter media compound......causing back-pressure on the return circuit.

I hope you find the problem. Please get back to us as to your findings. I'm very interested in the outcome.

Joel ....

View my Photos
Handymanetc

2010-11-28          175393

What a great idea!! Thank you. I will try changing the filter and see what happens. Thank you!! Yes, as an FYI, around the same time as the last oil change, the oil indicator light malfunctioned --at the sending unit. I replaced it with a gauge from Auto Zone. I have noticed NO change in oil pressure as of yet. I will change the oil filter and let ya know. May be a few days before I use it again since the weather is to get wet here. Thank you my friend!!!! ....

View my Photos
Handymanetc

2010-12-02          175490

12-2-10!!
Hey Joel!!!
Changed the oil filter. Ran the ole Shibaura hard for almost 6 hours. NO LEAK, NO BLOWBY. I had drained the oil down at the pump last week, so that it wasn't overfull. Changed the filter before today's work. Had to bush hog hilly, thick grass today and I worked it hard and really pushed it to see what would happen. No leaks, no change in engine oil level on the dipstick. Interestingly enough, I noticed that the oil pressure gauge was fluctuating between up 70s to mid 60s where it had been staying at almost 80 psi. Must have been the filter. Thank you so much for your help and for the info. Lesson learned!! Thanks!!!
Chris ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2010-12-02          175494

Handymanetc,

Glad to be of assistance. I'm happy to hear that you're back in business.

Joel ....

View my Photos
snakebite

2011-01-22          176540

Sir; What is the number of the oil filter that you are using on your SD 2243? I need one, and can not find a reference number.

tnx, Snakebite ....

View my Photos
Handymanetc

2011-01-22          176548

Why sure----
Oil filter: Purolator A42019
Air filter: Napa 2276
fuel filter: Napa Gold 3507

Hope that helps. You can also cross reference the air filter to a Wix.

Good luck!
Chris ....

View my Photos
snakebite

2011-01-22          176549

TNX Pardner... appreciate the help

Snakebite ....

View my Photos
snakebite

2011-01-22          176551

OPPS... are you sure that one of them is a Oil filter?

two come out as air filters, and one fuel filter

Snakebite ....

View my Photos
Handymanetc

2011-01-23          176554

Your right. Purolator L10241 for oil filter. That better? ....

View my Photos
snakebite

2011-01-23          176555

That was the first filter that I tried... it does NOT fit on my SD 2243. It has 3/4 X 16 threads. My Shibaura filter mount uses M20 X 1.5 threads.

After an extensive data search yesterday, I found that a FRAM PH 3593A works well as an oil filter replacement. It seals well and has a 12 psi bypass.

Thanks for the help... the fuel and air filter info is good to have.

Snakebite ....

View my Photos
Handymanetc

2011-01-23          176556

Thanks for the info. That is nice to know. When I got my tractor it had the Purolator on it, and was easy to go to Advance and get. If you would like to continue to have me as a contact send private message of your email address and we can trade some information. If you read the postings of this thread you will see that I have had an issue related to oil filters. Also have learned lots over the last 18 months about my tractor.
Chris ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login