Go Bottom Go Bottom

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-01          75675

I am buying a TC40 this month and have a few extra $ left for some new impliments. What would your suggestion be if you could pick 2 impliments for breaking/preparing a five acre old (8 year old) clover field. I have a new 6' KK dick/harrow but never used it yet. (My old 8N was in pretty bad shape). I am planning to round up this year before preparing the 5 acres to get some of the weeds back in control but am new to the TC40 fwd and have no experiance in what it can handle for impliments.
Thank you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75692

Maybe I missed it, But what are you planning on doing with these 5 acres? Is it just to get the weeds underconrol? Or are you going to plant some sort of crop? If it is just to get the weeds down you have a couple options. I worked on a 3 acre old pasture that I wanted to set up for a grass riding arena. It was not my land, but I had permission to use it to ride. It was filled with queen annes lace and wild rose, amounst other weeds. Brush hogged it down reall short and then a week later went over it with a finish mower ( level ground ) I repeated the finish mower process weekly to 10 days for the first summer. By not allowing the broad leaf weeds to grow and shade out the grasses, by september it turned back into a nice grass ( Timothy / Orchard grass mix ) field. YOu don't have to do the finish mower, you can just do a brush hog, just keep the blades sharp. Being the field is old and most likely has alot of thatch, it may no hurt to rake it after the first cutting and then use a slit seeder to get some new seed started. Some of these attachments may just be used once or twice. So I would look at renting a few attachments. But I would recommend a Brush hog. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-01          75699

Wbowhunt
I am sorry for lack of info, I am planning to plant it again. I have 10 acres of food plots going and need to get the last five acres prepaired for the fall planting. I know it will take a year for my lime and minerals to get where I want but This spring I need to get the ball rolling again. I have been down for a while with repairing the old 8N and just tired of it so the little lady gave me the ok to buy my retirement tractor early (LOL) I really dont want to turn it over because it is going into annuals (brassicas) and maybe a winter wheat field just for the deer. I would like to prepair a decent seed bed though 3-4 inches deep, so I really am trying to get the sod broke and start decomposing while disturbing only the top 4 inches. I have very little knowlege of what that tractor will handle for equipment that I may need. I total out at 15 acres in fields and to maintain a few miles of trails for brush hogging/mowing. Snow removal will come later when I move. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-01          75701

OK, That narrows thing down. You mention the 6' Disc harrow so you can break up the ground and churn it under. I would still highly recommend brush hoggin' the filed first if you have not already done so. As Far as Attachments only two really come to mind for this a Rake to level things out and removes some of the stone and roots, the other is a tumbler. ( I am not certain of the true name. ) Basically after you disc/rake and then seed. Right after you seed you will go over the land with a tumbler to push the seed down into the soil and ensure you get good soil contact for germination. They come in a variety of widths and sizes. I know some folks who have created their own by making a hitch frame and then taking 2 or three 55 gallon drums running a pipe through the middle and then filling them with sand. Then they run one long solid pipe inside the pipe attached to the drums allowing them to roll. In you case you may want to buy one, since you are looking at planting an anual crop and then winter crop. You would have a regular need for one. I will try to find a link for you. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-01          75705

Thankyou
Never gave a rake a thought and your right it would be used often especially in my area where we grow new ones every year. You are talkin about a culipacker, anouther good suggestion and one that will be high on my list. With the NH TC40 is a 6 1/2 foot disk about as big a disk as I would be pulling? The KK disk harrow has the serrated diskes in front and the smooth ones in back with 3 different angle settings, or do you know if that tractor would be able to pull a larger 8 foot or 10 foot disk?
Thanks again
Brokenarrow ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
plots1

2004-02-01          75708

I pull the same disk with my tractor very easy ,So I'm thinking you could pull one a tick larger. the heavier the better cutting it will do. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-01          75709

Cultipacker Huh? We always just called it the tumbler, But to be honest I don't know why. With a TC40 you should have no real trouble with a 6' Disc. But.... There is always one. I also do not know what type of soil conditions you have and the overall condition of the field. If it is a sandy loam or hard clay. This will make a difference, especially the first time you go to disk after 8 years.To be honest if you already have the 6' I would try it and see how it goes. You are looking at only 5 acres. Or are you doing annuals on all 15 acres?
Found an interesting one you might be interested as you will be planing a couple times a year ....

Link:   Dual purpose cultipacker

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
gauthier

2004-02-02          75787

Well,if it is really a clover field,thats not bad now,as far as wildlife goes!You might just be able to lime it,the pellet lime needs to set for a while,powder works quick.Then disk it with your disk so the seeds you plant will make soil contact,then go over it lightly again with disk to cover a little,but if its a clover field your already close. The roller,don't think you would need unless your worried about how smooth it is,might even be bad for going over planted seed with,espiecially if dirt was damp. Richard ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-02          75806

Wbowhunt
How does the 6 1/2 KK work? It looks like it is put together pretty well for the money. Has your disk held up to small rocks pretty well? No matter how long I pick, they seem to keep coming up with every rain LOL.
Question on a "BOX SCRAPER" What,how, and why do you use it. I put in a really nice plot last Aug. using a 12' disk and a rototiller on the skid steer. The turnips came in great and were a heck of a draw in November here in Wisconsin. The box scrapers I have been seeing look like they could rip up field pretty well, but what can you use it for and how clean does the field have to be (from weeds or vegitation) Before you use it? Thanks
Brokenarrow ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
TomG

2004-02-03          75832

Scrapers are sort of the Swiss Army Knives of landscape tools used for grading, smoothing, finishing and moving. Specialized things for each operations work better but most everything can be done with a scraper. I don't think of them as implements for field work though.

I've used a scraper for removing sod from fairly small areas but I think a plow and disk would work better for fieldwork. They don't get along with big rocks that well but what does? The scarifiers will bring some rocks to the surface though.

For sod, the scarifers just cut grooves and don't make furrows. I cut it both directions and then most of the sod pulls off the sandy soil here with a bit of pressure from the blade. I'm left with big chunks of sod. Some of them are large enough to use for re-sodding if you don't mind working jigsaw puzzles. I'm usually left with the problem of what to do with the sod and end up cutting it back into the plots with a walk behind tiller. If there's not too many rocks, just starting off with a tiller may be better, but it'd be slow going. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
plots1

2004-02-03          75839

As Tom stated there are better tools for feild work then others. I use my box blade to groove the sod up well , after 2 passesd there will be several big patches cut out, but the groung is groove up well enuf to were the disk really cuts well and just turn it all in. a bottom plow turns the soil over deeper but is really no needed for a good plot.Most Farmers don't even use bottom plow's anymore. Bursh hoggin the weeds or grass down really low first really speeds the box blade work, but doesn't have to be done. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-03          75857

Brokenarrow, I don't have a Disc myself. land size is just to small to justify. I do however have access. I live by the world of bartering. And with quite a few small farmers 200+ acres and smaller farms around my area, they can always use an extra set of hands for something, So I volunteer when ever I can for issues like bringing in Hay, Cattle, Horses. Kinda ironic I work behind a PC all day and am a IT By trade, but do anything to be outdoors.
Anyway. with smaller rocks you should not have to big an issue, most times the soil as loosened will allow them to just shift out of the way as the disc comes through. You will inevitably come across some that, well just won't and can ding up a disc, but as with anything in farming there really isn't a way around some things.
I think you already got a pretty good idea on a box blade. I know alot of this is really exciting and sometimes overwhelming on the number of attachments. As Kubotaguy says I get the TIm Allen Syndrom sometime. I think we all do. I would honestly recommend you look at a Bucket and you have the disc already. Then Once you have the tractor look at renting a box blade or other attachment you may be interested in and see if it does what you want or need and will be used enough to justify the purchase. Also talk to some of the farmers in your area and ask they about there uses. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-03          75865

For just food plots, I wouldn't get to fancy with the tilling. With only 5 acres more to do, I would use the existing disc and weigh it down. I would work it several times in opposite directions and then maybe on a diagonal. I would also lightly disc in the seeds(without weights on the disc)or use a spike tooth drag. I don't think it needs raking or anything special. If you have excess cash send it to me. Otherwise spend it on some other implements. What do you use for spraying and seeding?

If you have some light brush, I'd suggest using a moldboard plow and turning it over. That will disturb the root system that "Round-up" weed killer won't touch. Your tractor should be able to pull a 2 or 3 bottom plow quite easily. I know many are getting away from this but I was taught that way and find it hard to get away from. Discing is real easy then. You should be able to get a good 3 bottom plow for about $350.00. If you can't find one locally, I'd consider selling you one of mine. I've got an IH 3 bottom with 16" moldboards with one moldboard removed (have the loose parts)with category II mounting (originally was a fasthitch mount). Just needs reducer bushings for your cat.I. ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-03          75909

First of all I would like to thank all of you for great ideas. I will do the rental thing (never thought of that) first. As for the loader, My buddy with the bobcat told me I should get it to, In the life of a small logger he buys and trades all the time to make ends meet so it would be a good idea just to add a year to my payments and get the darn thing now, you all were right again with that.
I had a dealer call me today after 6pm and talked to me for an hour!!! (No Bull) he is a Case dealer (red) and is trying to talk me into not buying blue. I know they are basically the same machine, what do you all think? Either one??? Blue is sharper looking though I think anyway.
Here is a pic of my turnips last Nov. 1 rst

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments ground breaking TC40fwd

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-02-03          75910

Looks like I messed up that link try this one
http://www2.freepichosting.com/Images/135668/0.jpg
Thanks again guys
(yooper pete) I own a 2 bottom already but thank you for your offer! ....

ground breaking TC40fwd

View my Photos
loganWildman

2004-05-13          85952

I had an older Allis Chalmers 10 disk that I pulled with my TC35 with industrial tires. With the gangs set at maximum attack angle, I could pull it in B range, 4th gear. Set at a medium attack angle, I could go up to High range and 1st gear. So your TC40 should do even better than mine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login