Go Bottom Go Bottom

What tiller for John Deere 4200

View my Photos
Philip
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-12          29200

I want to buy a roto-tiller for my 4200. I like the look of the King Kutter tillers, but don'tknow what size to get.The KK documentation indicates that the 4200 (26hp) is middle of the range for the 48" model, and the 60" model goes from 25 to 40hp.I am tempted by the 60" version. This would avoid the problem of wheel tracks, but wonder if i might have problems since my tractor is at the low end of the suggested power range.The usage would be light - creation/maintenance of a vegetable garden, and maybe re-working a 4,000 sq, ft. lawn.Any suggestions ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2001-06-12          29215

Philip, I used to own a JD4100 and used a 60" TSC tiller behind it without any problems. I suspect your JD4200 will do just fine with a 60" tiller so long as you are not working really difficult soil (i.e. clay and rocks). Good luck with whatever you decide. ....

View my Photos
Terry Senay

2001-06-12          29217

I have a 58" Landpride for my 4100. No problems whatsoever... I have a a mixture of soil in my garden area and it cuts through all of it!!! Actually, you may want to shop around and look at different manufacturers just to be sure of what you need. Probably the best features to look for are a slip clutch and being able to offset the tiller either right or left to suit your needs. Also, look at what Deere recommends as far as sizing on their website. Just as a point of reference, I paid $1500 for my Landpride 1558. Good luck!!!! ....

View my Photos
Philip

2001-06-13          29237

Thanks for the feedback. I did e-mail KK to ask if they thought it would be
OK. the reply was a bit basic, just saying that they recommend a minimum of
25hp for their 60" tiller (but is that engine hp, PTO hp, what ???).

Anyway, I tend to rely more on people's own experience than manufacturer's
assurances.

Terry: the KK tiller has a slip clutch on the driveline, and a gear drive. That
was part of the attraction. The current price I have is approx. $1,390.

JD recommend their 550 tiller, which is a 48" tiller, which is offset. I don't think the KK can be offset, but since its just wider then the wheels on the 4200 I don't see that being a problem.

Thanks for the feedback!

Philip ....

View my Photos
MarkS

2001-06-14          29272

I also own a Land pride 1558, so far its been great and I till in very very hard cly type soil. I was sold on the landpride when I saw two rental yards using them as their rental equipment. I figure if they held up to rental use they would be great for me. BTW I paid $1650 for mine, Dang it!! ....

View my Photos
Brad Englund

2001-06-14          29290

Philip, I have a 4200 and bought a KK 60" tiller this spring. We have sandy soil on our property, and I've found that the tractor has plenty of power for general tilling of our soil. If I'm not cutting sod, I can till and move at a pretty good clip. I plan on tilling a 12 acre field (currently in oats) to prepare it for pasture later this summer, and have used it to prep/level trails in the woods. When cutting sod, it tends to load the tractor down quite a bit. However, even then it works fine, I just have to move slower. If you have heavy packed clay, you will probably have to move slow, like I do when cutting sod. If you have a loader, the tiller makes for a heavy ballast and works great for breaking up sod, so you don't have to strip it first when excavating. I've been more than satisfied with the tiller. I wouldn't want a smaller one. Go for it!
Brad ....

View my Photos
Alan L. Lewis

2001-06-14          29296

The current price for the 60" KK Tiller at Tractor Supply down here in North Texas is $999. ....

View my Photos
Philip

2001-06-15          29310

Brad: thanks for the info. That makes me feel much happier that someone with the same equipment is happy. I have a neighbor who has a comparable tractor and a 48" tiller - he says he would go for a wider one next time (mainly because his has no offset, and he has problems with wheel tracks (this is for preparing lawns, so tracks are important to him).

So, $999 eh ? Unfortunately the shipping from there would probably eat the difference, and Unitred would probably whine if I tried to claim it as one of my carry-on pieces :-)

It also sounds as though I should at least take a look at the Landpride tillers if I can find a local dealer.

Thanks to all of you for responding - this board is really amazing in the depth of experience and willingness to help of its contributors!

Philip ....

View my Photos
Mike Smith

2001-06-15          29320

I also have a 4200 and purchased a 60" KK tiller from TSC for $999 this spring. I have heavy Alabama clay with limestone rocks - I have to go slow but the tractor doesn't seem to have a problem with the tiller. Word of caution - the slip clutch that was supplied with the tiller was adjusted tight, you may want to back off the tension on the slip clutch bolts before you hit your first bolder and the tiller tries to go airborne or stalls the tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login