Go Bottom Go Bottom

Adapting Wheelhorse Clevis to Category I with 2 hitch plate

View my Photos
minimac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-06-05          187250

I have an old Wheelhorse tractor implement system that has a blow, cultivator and disc. I would like to hook it up to my category I tractor, but I don't have any welding tools so I am looking for ideas for the best way to proceed... which could include craigs list :( I'll post a pix. I have a Flexpoint 2" receiver for the 3PH and I thought maybe there was a way to take 2" hitch adapter and somehow connect it to the Wheelhorse implement bar that has a clevis pin ?

Any ideas?

Thanks for not laughing at this idea !

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
minimac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-06-05          187251

Wheelhorse Implement bar with clevis hitch, cultivator bar attached

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments Adapting Wheelhorse Clevis to Category I with 2  hitch plate

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-05          187252

Minimac,

I'm not familiar with the Wheelhorse implements. How wide are we talking here? Do your implements span 4 feet wide, or more?

I see several possibilities for you, provided that your implements aren't so wide as to cause an extreme amount of torque on the hitch...such as when hitting a buried rock with an outside tine on the cultivator.

Many of the smaller implements can easily be adapted to fit a standard receiver hitch, though it will require some cutting and welding. You'll need to remove the clevis pin hitch you now have and replace it with a 2" x 2" x 1/4" wall chunk of square steel tubing.

A trailer hitch mover can then be installed on your 3-point hitch, into which the wheelhorse implement can then be slid in and pinned in place.

Hope this helps.

Joel ....

View my Photos
minimac

2013-06-05          187254

Thanks for the reply and not laughing!

The implements were barely wide enough to match the old wheelhorse no more than 36 inches. I will only use it to rough up areas where I am redoing a bluestone walk.

I was thinking of and adapter plate like this and maybe I could have a shop cut off the clevis "U" and then weld remaining plate to the adapter below.

Probably cost more than a low end box scraper, that's why the Wheelhorse implements have been sitting outside for 10 years LOL!

Thanks for the reply and not laughing!<br>
<br>
The implements were barely wide enough to match the old wheelhorse no more than 36 inches.  I will only use it to rough up areas where I am redoing a bluestone walk.<br>
<br>
I was thinking of and adapter plate like this and maybe I could have a shop cut off the clevis "U" and then weld remaining plate to the adapter below.<br>
<br>
Probably cost more than a low end box scraper, that's why the Wheelhorse implements have been sitting outside for 10 years LOL!<br>
<br>
[p]http://www.etrailer.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/pics/M/T/MT70038_3_1000.jpg[/p] ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2013-06-05          187255

Minimac,

You've got the right idea, but I think you might be able to save some money with this project.

If you already have a 3-point hitch trailer mover, you simply need to weld a 2x2 steel tube to your implements, replacing your current clevis hitch attachment.

And....no laughing from me. You should see some of the things I've built over the years.

Let me know if I can help in any way as you get going on this.

Joel

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-06-06          187262

I am assuming a good bit here.
Is the wheel horse implement designed to be lifted for transportation or to roll on the ground?

If not designed to be lifted then just pin it to tractor draw bar. If draw bar is too thick or holes to far in take say half inch piece of metal and drill and bolt twice to draw bar with one hole to pin the implement behind the bar.

If designed to lift then same as above but use chain for third arm (many cutters use this design to allow the cutter to follow rolling land). Then you can either have two pieces of metal such as angle iron cut to length and drilled to bolt the tongue of the implement and they then pin or bolt to the draw bar towards the ends to prevent it swinging. You could use chains there also. The tongue supports the weight and the chains stabilize if.

As small and light as these sound to be think you would find three chains, one for third arm and two one on each side to draw bar as stabilizers would be very sufficient.

View my Photos
minimac

2013-06-06          187266

I guess I have a couple of options here. I had originally thought about using the draw bar but was a little stumped on how to make it stable.

The Wheelhorse implements were meant to be lifted by a manual cable lifter.

Joel the implements all use the common pull bar that gets reconfigured for each attachment. The clevis hitch is welded to that plate in my pix, and the position of the plate moves based on whether you are pulling the plow, cultivator or disc. With my re purposing to 3PH I need to play around with the plow to see if it matters.

KT your idea of the draw bar and chains sounds interesting, I don't know why I did not think of chaining it up for the lift :-( You guys are so clever .... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login