Go Bottom Go Bottom

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-19          148449

Dear friends,

I'm not all that familiar with some of the farm implements used in other parts of the nation.

Here's one that I'm not familiar with, and I have no idea how it is used, or for what purpose. Can anyone explain? It's not that I need one......I don't believe......but I sure am curious.

The following pictures show a John Deere Flip Plow.

Many thanks.

Joel

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-19          148450

And here's another.

Joel ....

Picture Link
Operating and Attachments What is a FLIP PLOW

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-11-19          148451

By design, a conventional plow will turn the soil over in one direction only. If you were to turn right around and head immedately back with the plow in the ground, the soil would be turned over in the opposite direction. You don't want that. It's important to lay all the soil over in the same direction, so that Mother Nature will leave you a nice level planting surface come spring.

But it costs extra time and burns extra fuel to return to where you started the previous furrow, because that's where you drop the plow again. With a conventional plow you have to - just so the soil currently under plow will be turned the same direction as that which you plowed in the last pass.

Enter the reversible plow. It enables you to turn right around and plow straight back in the other direction. It's a simple matter of turning around > hitting a hydraulic lever to drop the opposite set of plowshares in the ground > start plowing again. Even though the plowshares turn soil in the opposite direction from each other, if you use the right set in the right direction - all soil is turned in the SAME direction

Confused yet?

//greg// ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-19          148452

It's kinda hard to make out exactly--but on the Gulf Coast I saw a two-bottom plow that had trip springs on it. I was told that it was for plowing where rocks could damage the plow, and to prevent it, the plow trips. Everyone I spoke to around the Coast never saw a boulder or even a rock let alone one big enough to do that! ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-19          148455

GregG,

Stupid question............

What's wrong with going around and around the field, as one would do with any ordinary plow? Mayhe we're talking about very small acreages? Fill me in.

Joel ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
greg_g

2007-11-19          148457

Every field is approached with respect to the lay of the land. But the end result is to have all the soil turned in the same direction. In some rectangular fields, farmers often split it in half; plowing from the outsides in. But it still involves a lot of driving and fuel to get to the opposite side of the field to plow back in the right direction (without a reversible plow).

But it sounds like you're comparing plowing to mowing. Because of what I said about wanting a nice level planting surface come spring, you don't want the tractor to be driving over already plowed ground

//greg// ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-11-19          148464

Greg is spot on with his explanation. They really gained popularity in the southeast back in the 70s, probably when fuel prices hit the roof.

EW, I can't remember anything like you describe. Do you have a picture of the plow? Is it like this one: http://www.chatstractors.com/051173_plow.htm
If so, that's way before my time! ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
harvey

2007-11-20          148474

Back in the olden days, Art you'll remember that :-), when the molboard tripped you stopped and backed up to reset. Today they have the spring resets and hydraulic resets. Never slow down at all.

The flip plows work real well on side hills when it is desireable to always turn the soil over up the hill especially on the strip fields. ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-20          148476

Mobil, yes it's similar to that but it's 3pt and had a little larger reset spring. Thanks Harvey. ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
davidasimpler
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-20          148482

Well, here in the East--- it is called a roll-over plow!!!And yes, you just do a sharp braking U-turn and go back in the same furrow in the opposite direction, of course after you rotate the plow!! ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-11-20          148489

When plowing with a conventional moldboard plow and plowing in a rectangular parallel pattern, back and forth, you have allot of wasted motion. By driving over the headlands (ends) repeatedly, you really get soil compaction.

The largest flip or rollover plow that I've seen is a 5 or 6 bottom. In our area, most have gone to chisel plows which cover lots more width per pass. If a moldboard is used here most run 8 ,10 or 12 bottoms. They are pulled by some monster tractors compared to our litle CUT toys.

When plowing corn stalks with a chisel plow you get lots of trash on top. I think this looks terrible (from my upbringing it was always a challenge to get the stalks covered and was kind of an elite farmer thing if you did it.) I understand that some of the trash on top decomposes faster than when underground. I just hate the trash blowing on the lawn which borders the farm perimeter. ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-20          148494

EW, the plows you are talking about were as has been said made to "RESET" when they "TRIPPED".

The roll over plows never were common in my part of the world but there is no way not to waste time, fuel and so forth using the fixed design as you have wasted travel. One big problem with the fixed design is most farmers had a system they used and over the years where ever they ended up last over time ended up low as you were steady moving dirt from there to where you began. I really thought those plows were more from the midwest.

The chisel plow may cover more ground but the trash (crop residue which should be used to improve the land and not be allowed to become trash) they leave on top is lost to improving the land for the biggest part as YP has pointed out. So the big disk solves that. Well what is mostly used for that here. kt ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-20          148495

EW, if you ever had the opportunity to use (we call them bottom plows here) that had no trip action or shear bolt to them then you missed real fun. The sudden stop of tractor as it hit stump and of course you kept on was wonderful. kt ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-11-21          148579

Obviously the concept for the Flip Plow was explained, I plowed as a kid with a team of horses and a double shovel bottom plow.

you pulled to the end of the field, turned the team on a dime, kicked the release, shoved up on the handle allowing the plow to flip and then settle back down locking the plow, and continued back the direction you came from turning the earth in the same direction.

You later hooked to a spring toothed harrow and eventually a flat or pin drag to smooth the field prior to planting,

man does that bring back memories...

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-21          148588

Randywatson, the gas exhaust then was sure different than today. Talk about SMART engines today, some work animals were very smart as what to do. kt ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-11-26          148734

Too True, time was I could simply walk along behind the sled spreading fertilizer removed from the barn over the winter, the team would go end to end on the field, with me not even touching the reins. Any problems with steering were easily corrected with four simple voice commands, git up, whoa, gee, haw.

try that with a tractor....ha ha

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-26          148742

Randy, I have, still ran into the ditch! kt ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-26          148744

What do you mean "time was"?

We still do a lot that way, our family has bred, raised & trained draft horses for many generations now. We do a lot of contract work with them too, everything from wagon rides to skidding trees and pole and cable work for the telephone & electrical utilities.

There was a (now) rather famous court case up here a number of years back, 2 neighbours got into an argument which escalated into a court case over the ownership of a well-trained and rather valuable draft horse, the Judge raised a lot of laughter in the court room when he said he was going to let the horse decide who it 'belonged' to.

The judge ordered everybody to meet out at the neighboring farms. They led the horse out onto the road in front of the 2 farms and the Judge told the horse to "Git home now, walk on!!" and the horse turned and walked up the driveway and into 'his' barn, case closed.

Best of luck. ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-11-26          148745

Murf,

no offense by "time was" I simply meant in my past, when I was a kid, I used the horses, fact is I'd still rather work behind a horse than on a seat, but...with 11 ac mostly in trees, not enough pasture to support a horse and not enough money to feed year around to justify the use I'd get out of one I regretfully say my little kubota fills the nich of need vs uses vs rathers.

Sounds like a smart judge, I can recall when skidding logs for firewood out of the woods, at the end of the day telling the horses to go to the barn, they would with no problem and no guideance and wait patiently outside the door for me to catch up and let them in for the unharnessing and feeding . ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-26          148747

No worries Randy, no offense taken, I was merely pointing out that some people still work with horses.

In a lot of the work we do the horses are FAR faster than a machine would be doing the same job, and a BUNCH cheaper to boot!!!

We have one big old fellow who loves being in the woods, be it skidding, sap collecting or otherwise. You only have to show him the landing once, after that you just tell him "landing" or "cutting" and he travels between them by himself. If there's nothing to do he just stands there looking around enjoying himself.

Most of our horses have about 30-50 words they understand quite well.

Best of luck. ....

What is a FLIP PLOW

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-11-26          148748

Yea, pretty amazing what they can do, and how smart they are.

there was one old hillbilly farmer lived down the creek from us, had a great team, it was amazing what he could do with them, and how well they worked under his commands.

he farmed his whole life with horses, every thing from plowing, cultivating his veg garden, cutting, raking and bailing hay, of course pulling sled, or anything else he hooked them to.

He used to cut and sell timber, all the pulling was done with the team or single horse.

Every spring he used to plow gardens for less fortunate persons who could not afford a team for the heavy work,

regards, RJ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login