Go Bottom Go Bottom

Help my tiller moves without power

View my Photos
albundy1161
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-05-24          142412

Friends, I need help. I have a kubota L1500 and a RS1200DM tiller. Got them from 2 friends. Dont really know if they match, except that I saw some reviews on internet for some people who have had the same set. My problem is, the tiller would move when raised but looked like there was not enough power to plow the earth when lowered.

I have no idea where to trace. I think the PTO is OK. The tractor feels fine. Is it because the connection between PTO and tiller is not right. Is it because the the arms extending from the tractor to the tiller is too long/short? Is it because of some problem with the gearbox (I had the oil changed).

I thing I noticed is that the blades when moving seem to really touch the earth/ground at the middle part of the tiller only. I have lowered the lowering mechanism to the lowest possible, but I still feel it should be lowered.

Please assist. Am really confused. thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-24          142423

albundy,

It sounds to me as if you might have the three point arms attached in the wrong adjustment holes -- which will prevent you from lifting it off the ground high enough to prevent contact with the soil.

If you have the manual for your tractor, check to see if the lifting arms are set up properly for tiller use. I believe you should have the lifting arms attached to the three point arms in the holes nearest to the tractor. You may have them set up in the three point arms in the holes furthest away, which will greatly reduce your lifting height.

Joel ....

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-05-24          142425

albundy,

After reading your message again, I'm now not sure if you are not able to lower the tiller fully, or raise it far enough to prevent contact with the soil.

Especially confusing to me, is the comment you made in regard to not having enough power to till.

When tilling, always run your tractor at full throttle, and adjust your ground speed using your gears, or hydros tactic transmission speed control.

Still not entirely sure what your problem is. Please explain further, if possible.

I'll gladly help you once I understand your problem better.

Many thanks.

Joel

View my Photos
Murf

2007-05-24          142426

You don't say if you use any other PTO-powered equipment or not.

The problem you describe, of the tiller running in the air, and stopping when it makes contact with the ground, sounds like either the PTO clutch is burned away, or the PTO is just not engaging.

It could also be that a slip-clutch, if there is one, on the PTO shaft could be weak or burned out which would do exactly the same thing.

To test it, turn the tractor off with the PTO engaged, the tiller in the air, and the tractor in it's lowest gear, then set the parking brake firmly, and go around the back. Put a long pry bar (5' is good) through the driveshaft u-joint nearest the tiller and try to turn the shaft, if it turns, whatever slips is the culprit. You should not be able to turn the shaft at all in this situation.

As to the problem of not lowering enough, first check that there isn't a stopper or limiter on the lever preventing the 3pth from dropping fully. If this is not the case, check the linkage between the lift arms (the 2 long arms the tiller connects to) and the rock-shafts (the 2 smaller arms up higher) is set to the lowest position, there are usually 3 choices of holes with a pin through them. If the pin is in the highest hole it will cause the tractor to lift higher, but not be able to lower as far either. Set the pins in the lowest holes.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-05-24          142428

I don't use a tractor tiller but some of them have a belt drive that also could be slipping. Some have slides to control the depth of cut and you could also have worn blades. Just for fun, how deep does your tiller cut? How hard is the dirt you are cutting? Does it have roots or stones? If you are new to pto equipment, it is easy to not run the engine at as high rpm as you need to, look at the 540 pto indication on the tach and that is about where you probably should be. Since you got it from friends, have you ask them? kt ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-05-24          142436

I suspect the point of where the PTO slip clutch (if so equipped) mounts to the gear box is either stripped or the key sheared or is missing. Or if it is equipped with only a shear pin (no clutch) it is sheared or missing. In either case there seems to be just enough bind on the shaft to make some friction until it meets resistance when asked to till. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login