Go Bottom Go Bottom

6 tiller question

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-08          130671

First of all let me say that I have finally used my tiller.
Had it for ever (over 1 year) and can say that I love it! LOL.
Although it looks all beat up after just 8 hours of tilling in my gravel pit. This is where the question comes in. While tilling occasionally I would hit a rock that would wedge itself in just right so that the tiller would stop (slip clutch). Is this supposed to KILL the tractor? Flat out, the tractor stalls imediately when a rock prevents the tiller from continueing to turn freely.
Is this proper set up of the slip clutch?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

6 tiller question

View my Photos
JasonR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-08          130672

To the best of my knowledge - I'd say no. The slip clutch should slip when the load is greater than the slip setting. I know there is a specific procedure for setting the slip clutch in the instructions that came with my tiller. I think it was recommended that you do that before each use. This was to prevent the slip clutch from sticking (and hence not work - and do what you are seeing).

Have you done any setup, testing or adjustment of the slip clutch? ....

6 tiller question

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-09          130676

It's not supposed to do that. The clutch should slip, causing a horrible noise that makes you think you're really messing something up.

I think they get stuck sometimes; it seems that my KK tiller manual mentions it. Anyway, adjustment is pretty straightforward spring preload.

Good luck,
Bill ....

6 tiller question

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-06-09          130679

brokenarrow,

First of all let me say that I have finally used my tiller.
Had it for ever (over 1 year) and can say that I love it! LOL.

I have been told that a slip clutch needs to be used so it does not stick. If it has not been used or has been siting in rain and such for that year it may be stuck where it will not slip. It would be my guess yours is stuck.

GD, GB

6 tiller question

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-09          130680

brokenarrow,

I spoke to dealers about slipclutch when I was shopping (I was more comfortable with a shear pin, but changed my mind when got all the info) and they said, you shouldn't need to adjust the slip-cluth, but if you don't use your attachment for a long time (like a year?), slip-clutch tends to freeze-up; there's a proper procedure for dealing with a stuck slip-clutch, I'm sure someone will chime in with it soon. ....

6 tiller question

View my Photos
Art White

2006-06-09          130689

Before you bend the shields up anymore loosen the slip clutch bolts up and run the machine in the dirt to allow the clutch to slip. Then retighten to where it works but slips with the stones. ....

6 tiller question

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-06-09          130690

"Then retighten to where it works but slips with the stones"

-- is there a proper torque setting for this? ....

6 tiller question

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-06-09          130691

For my slip clutch, the manual states:

Prior to initial operation and after long periods of inactivity, the slip clutch should be 'run-in'

a. Tighten all 4 nuts uniformly until the spring load is low enough that the clutch slips freely with the PTO engaged.

b. Loosen nuts to original position. Clutch is ready for use. ....

6 tiller question

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-06-10          130729

So the answer is , "no" ? The tractor should not stall?
My tiller has sat in a garage since purchase and has never seen rain, for that matter it had no rust or corrosion on it either. This is what confused me on why it is not working properly.
Art, my main problem is my general area I am working. It is a morain and grows 4-20 inch rocks every year with the frost. This back field is sooooo rocky I felt i was is a gravel pit LOL. I will have to have a rock picker run thru this field since we picked rock for weekends on end and still have this problem. As for beating up the shields? Not really from the rocks getting stuck as much as the rocks getting run thru the top and being forced thru.
I will take your advice though and start fresh with the slip clutch, thatnk you! ....

6 tiller question

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-05-12          142038

For anyone who may be interested..........

I just finished reading about this topic in my tiller manual. I have a King Kutter II, 5 foot model.

The slip clutch is designed to protect your tractor and tiller, in the event that you strike a solid object while tilling. Your tractor should never kill upon hitting such an object. Serious damage to your tractor or tiller could occur, should the slip clutch not function properly.

Refer to your operating instructions for the proper procedure to follow when attempting to free and readjust your slip clutch.

Joel ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login