Go Bottom Go Bottom

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
jong3430
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-01-31          123839

I am looking for a 60" or so Rotary Tiller for my L3430, but am having difficulty deciding on Mfg. and Gear or Chain drive? I have looked at Kubota, Woods, KK and Landpride and all are impressive. I consider these to be the higher echelon. I have also looked at First Choice and CCM which I have read very good reports on both, and they are competitively priced. I will be skinning alot of grass for Patios and a Driveway, plus alot of landscaping over 5 acres. If money were no object, I would like to hear your preference? Value, however, carries more weight to me than just money, thus which route would you go for the best value?

Thanks - Jon

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-01-31          123857

I went with the KK tiller and really liked what it did for my garden. Now, I don't use it as much as you plan on using it. If I did, I might have gone with a different manufacturer. It's a good unit, but I would place it at the bottom of those you listed. But it's hard to beat it's value. ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos

2006-02-01          123904

jong3430
I went with the KK 60 inch. It really takes a beating. I have very rocky soil and have never had a problem. You definately want gear driven with a shear pin. You can pay more (john deere for instance), but I looked them over and did not see enough of a
difference to justify just about double the price and I can afford it. I dont buy just for the name though. I also use it on my L3430 and my smaller B2400. Both handle it well. I purchased extra blades, but have not broken any and I have brought up stones bigger than basketballs on alot of occasions. Just make sure you clean it well after each use and lubricate it and it will do the job you need. I have not sheared a pin in over 100 hours of use either.
doc ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
ksmmoto
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-02-01          123914

I bought a Bush Hog RTS62 62" Tiller from my dealer with my L3430. It has held up well, I did break two tines tilling a rocky ball diamond last fall.

It is chain drive and I did get a slip clutch installed by the dealer. Also has adjustable offset, which I have done when I moved my wheels out to full width.

I have mostly King Kutter implements, but I put the Bush Hog in with the Kubota Financing, so I went with that. I did spend about $150 more than a KK.

ksmmoto ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
Art White

2006-02-01          123931

I've sold the Brush Hog and I've traded and swapped a lot makes around but the one that every has raved about the most is the Kuhn. Some things I've come to know is that if you have tight soil the high tensile smaller tine will penetrate far easier then the larger crude steel blades and they have an equal life. I don't know which tires you have but there are only two tire combinations that give you less then 60" width. So you might need to adjust your side to side option to cover a track, the Kuhn uses a whole sliding gearbox to keep proper alignment of the pto shaft. As far as the drives life that to is a flip of a coin for the most part but a slip clutch is a must in what it sounds like what you want to do. Around house foundations and tree's you never know what you might find that could shear a pin. ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-02-01          123934

I'm also looking into tillers. I have a one for my JD GT245 lawn tractor, but when I till grassy areas it tends to take me for a wild ride until I kill the PTO.

Anyway, based on dealers in my area, Woods GTC-52 appears to be the one that will work for me. I've looked online, and Woods doesn't say if their tiller uses a slip clutch or a shear pin. Does anyone, specifically those who one a Woods tiller, know what the Woods tillers use?

Thanks ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-02          123947

I have the slip clutch on my KK tiller. It's fairly obvious when you look at the PTO shaft. The shaft mounted clutch is fairly good sized compared to a shear pin.

Woods GTC 52 - The .pdf brochure states it's a slip clutch that they use. So you are ok.

I like the slip clutch vs shear pin for that extra safety margin combined with you won't be replacing shear pins. I replaced shear pins one winter on a snowblower. That sucked. ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos

2006-02-02          123951

Iowafan
Forgot to mention that the KK has a slipclutch, in addition to a shear pin - at least mine does. Bought it 2 years ago from a Fleet Farm
doc ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos

2006-02-02          123952

JasonR
You might want to try taking a pass with the tiller mulching the grass 1st. I have found that to be very effective, especially if it is green grass. Other than that all I can think of is you may not have your rpm's high enough or the tractor is underpowed.
Always get a slip-clutch (with shear pins if possible) unless you are going to only work sand or peat. You want that tractor to stop if you hit something like a rock or a root. It could save your life.
doc ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-02-02          123954

Iowafan:

Thanks, I missed it on the .pdf, or I was looking at a different one. As far a shear pins go - I have a walk-behind 30" 2-stage, and I replace one every time I do the gravel driveway. Pain in the butt. The JD4110 has solved that issue so far, as I've been using the FEL and or the box scrape (in reverse) to move snow this winter.

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-02-02          123957

Doc:

Thanks for the advice... Being a garden tractor, the GT245 is lightweight enough no mattor how high I set the tiller, it tends to push the tractor (overpowering the brake) vs. cut into the ground. It takes a while to break up the turf - and once it does it does an excellent job of tilling. I probably could sharpen the blades and try barely touching the grass, etc., but for what I can sell this tiller for, and buy a new 3 point hitch version for - I'm sure I will enjoy the additional benefits of a tiller on the larger tractor.

Jason ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-02-02          123960

Jason, you have a 4410? Yeah, ok, I can totally see why you want a 3pt tiller. I got the KK 60" for my 4310 and I had the biggest grin on my face when I used it for the first time. Oh boy is that nice!! The hydrostat makes controlling the forward speed easy and the seed bed that is left is awesome.

You will love it! I even used mine to correct some deep ruts I made during spring with the pickup. Two passes, some grass seed and problem as gone. ....

Re Tiller Help

View my Photos
JasonR

2006-02-02          123961

Oops - typo there, I corrected it to 4110. I also noticed I didn't make it very clear that I was looking for the Woods tiller for the 4110, and leaving most of the mowing and light hauling tasks for the GT245.

Now 'docs' post make even more sense to me, as I assume he was wondering why I was thinking merely changing tiller 'brands' on a tractor would improve things.

Changing to the tiller on that machine (GT245) was always a bit of a pain anyway.

Jason ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login