Go Bottom Go Bottom

Barn heater

View my Photos
Captain B
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-09-23          97122

I want to heat a 30' x 40' insulated barn in west central New Hampshire (walls are R19, ceiling R30). I use the barn two or three evenings and a weekend afternoon each week. I have a 115,000 BTU kerosene forced air portable heater (odors and CO are issues). My neighbor, who is a seasoned old timer (think "Pepperidge Farm Man"), suggests a 220 volt electric heater for convenience and lack of odors. I am concerned about cost to operate it. What are the pros and cons of electric versus propane? What size will I need to keep the barn at 50 degrees? What should I expect to spend per season for fuel or electricity?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Barn heater

View my Photos
Archdean
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-23          97123

here , you go you know your parimiters better than we do!!
Dean

Link:   

Click Here

Barn heater

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-09-24          97142

Cap'n, why not just get some local sheet-metal shop to make you up a manifold and heat exchanger for the kerosene heater you already have?

It doesn't have to be perfect or pretty, just enough to enclose and trap most of the CO & smell and send it back outside.

Best of luck. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-09-25          97185

[color=criminson]***************[/color]
[color=goldenrod]GET THE BASICS HERE.[/color]
[url]http://consumers.creditnet.com/straighttalk/board/showthread.php?s=&postid=410243#post410243[/url]
[color=criminson]*****************[/color]

>I want to heat a 30' x 40' insulated barn
Captain B
=========================
I plan on heating and cooling my 30x52 with an outdoor unit that has a forced air furnace and air conditioning all in one unit. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
busguy

2004-09-30          97428

I would consider approx 50btu output per square foot with an 8' to 10'ceiling height. Unit heaters work well but don't get enough heat to the floor area. Down flow furnaces work well if you block them up and let the warm air wash the floor.. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-09-30          97434

A cheap cieling fan or two increaces the effectiveness of a unit heater dramatically. It worked wonders in my 28x36 garage with a 10' cieling. I only have a 48,000 btu furnace which, along with the fan, keeps it comfortable all winter on minimal fuel (natural gas). ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-01          97453

An old salvaged furnace blower assembly works well also.

Make a vertical plywood duct down the wall furthest from the heat source. Set the fan assembly on top, it's easier to push air than pull it, blowing down the chute. Keep the fan as close to the ceiling as possible. Leave an opening at the bottom facing out into the room.

A friend did this and put a surplus A/C thermostat on top next to the blower, when the heat at the ceiling reaches a certain temp the blower comes on all by itself, when it cools down it goes back off.

He also put a trap door that opens to the outside and one to close off the interior vent. In the summer he flips it on in the evening and it draws all the hot air out over night and cools the shop off, in the morning when he goes out there to work it's nice and cool. The shop is insulated so it takes most of the day to warm back up again.

Best of luck. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
beagle

2004-10-01          97454

I insulated my barn last winter. I think it is now mostly heated my mouse farts. I use a kerosene heater to supplement the flatulants. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
Chief

2004-10-01          97458

The 115,000 btu heaters you mentioned don't burn as efficiently or clean as the 23,500 btu wick type kerosene heaters.

I use 3 of them in the basement of my house to occasionally suppliment my woodstove on really cold days or for a fast warm up in the mornings when we get up. They burn very cleanly and only make odors or smoke on shut down and a bit on first start up.

I would suggest trying this type of heater in your barn. 4 or 5 of them should keep it toasty warm. They last about 4 hours with the wick turned all the way down and about 2 turned all the way up. You can buy them for about $99 at Walmart. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-01          97465

Beagle, stop feeding the mice those Johnsonville brots...

The doors of my shop face almsot due south, probably south south-west. The doors are 12' x 12' wood and painted chocolate brown. Even with the furnace off I get enough heat gain on a sunny day to raise the inside temperature by 20 degrees above the outside readings.

Best of luck. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-10-01          97506

Captian B, We've used electric radiant "Cove Heaters" in the assembly rooms at the furniture plant for probably 15 yrs. now and could'nt like them any better. The assembly rooms are independent pods inside a metal pole building, so they have no wind factor to deal with. No open flame, up out of the way, and just not too bad on the light bill. The rooms are insulated floors to celing with 6 in. roll between the studs, floor joists and ceiling joists. We also use a home made ground heat recovery system to supplement the electric. Light bill doesn't change much summer to winter, the REC put us on a time of day rate plan where the juice is about half price between 7 AM and 4 PM, then regular rate all other hours. Just my experiences. Frank. ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
Archdean

2004-10-01          97509

I agree with Frank I heat my greenhouse and barn with electric heat (use as needed ) kept low otherwise without the smell, hazzards,and inconvience of other methods.. having said that I would use wood heat as I do for the very coldest times in my home!!

I have two heatpumps (one up one down (useless below 38 degrees except for the circulating fan)!!to move the heat from a ducted fireplace with 4 heat vents!
Dean ....

Barn heater

View my Photos
Captain B

2004-10-02          97553

I've decided to erect two walls inside the barn to make a 20'X 20'X 10' workshop. It will have a sliding door so I can drive my tractor with FEL and 3PT snowblower inside for work. I'm told I'll need about 17,000 BTU to heat the space. Pretty much decided on electrical. Looking at a Dayton G73 and a Fahrenheat unit from Northern Tool. The specs and the pictures appear identical. The Dayton costs 25% more. Is it worth the extra $$? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login