Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor Shed Designs Seen any Good Ones

View my Photos
484Lou
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-03-05          78902

I'm starting to look for good tractor shed designs to store and work on my tractor and implements. I will need parking, workshop, and implement areas. My IH-484 and loader are over 16' long and the ROPS will need 9' to clear the door. I would like to have a side roof extention to the shed that I can use to keep the 6'cutter and augers out of the weather when not in use. Seen any designs that might help?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-05          78905

Lou, a very simple and proven design common around here is called an equipment shed.

Basically it is a standard garage style with a gable roof, with the ridge running down the length of the building. The building is typically either a single or double car size depending on the space requirements, the clever part however is that the roof extends way out (usually 8') past both side walls, and often past the rear and / or front walls too and resting on posts. This creates an enormous amount of covered space for storage (or firewood) which is protected from the elements, but NOT indoors. The origin of this style is that the unenclosed space was considered by the Gov. to be part of the area of the building, therefore you did get taxed on, for instance, if the building was 16' x 24' (384 sq. ft.) but had a roof covering an area of 32' (8'+16'+8') x 40' (8'+24'+8') or 1280 sq. ft. you were only taxed as having a 384 sq. ft. building. Many of these 'overhangs' were later enclosed by tarps or even solid panels.

It was also a much cheaper way to build storage space and it kept the building cooler in the summer since the sun never got to the walls, only the roof.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-03-05          78916

Take alook at my pics, seems to work good. 10x32.
Garage is posted at 11' ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-06          78985

Somebody around here got a used shipping container a few years ago. I'm not sure of the door width but I've wondered about using one for a tractor. Depends on price, but near as I can figure it might be a cheap, no fuss, no permit solution if not a very elegant one. Probably just plunk one paving stones or something high enough to keep the bottom off the ground and there it is. Of course even if a tractor fit, without side doors one would be lousy for implements. ....

View my Photos
agentorange

2004-03-07          79142

I'm thinking that a container may not have the width inside. Could get one I would think and drive into it, but then what? Could you get good access to it from side? Run a floor jack under it? Stuff like that. Sure would be easy to get a sprayer and paint it to look OK. Probably not too much more to get one a bit wider for service access and rolling other things by it to use all the length for stoarge and such.

We have a slab (28x16) along side the house. Put up one of those white (w/powder coated poles) 20x10 nylon-caoted fabric cover deals. Got if from Costco a few years back as temp storage. Of course the 'temp' part is variable. My 7510 goes in nicely with plenty of room all around. Just recently power washed the wholet thing to remove green stuff. Looks brand new. I attached the feet with 1/4" nail-ins to slab. Very sturdy actually. Could very easily have istalled over a floor of 12x12 concrete pavers from Wal-Mart for .97 each. Thus not a permanenet fixture.

good luck, have fun

-ao ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-03-08          79204

I think that container width and lack of side doors would be a problem as well. His container is a half-length one but still a lot of space would have to be sacrificed to provide access from the back to the front.

I also used the 'temporary' tent solution for over five years now. It is a 25' x 14' structure designed for use in the arctic but with a covering that is more tolerant to sun light than those used in the arctic. The expected cover lives around here still are seven years so I'm having to look at getting rid of 'temporary' pretty soon. It wasn't exactly cheap but it did go up in an afternoon and has gone through all the high winds thrown at it loosing only a couple of grommets in a door. ....

View my Photos
484Lou

2004-03-10          79463

Thanks for your responses. The idea of a tent structure was a new one for me. I do have a lot of tall trees that drop large branches in the area that the tractor would be stored so I think I will have to pass on the tent approach. I did consider shipping containers, but the rear wheels on my tractor are almost 8' apart so getting around in a ten foot box would require a more gymnastics ability than my age allows.

I like the idea of extended roof eaves coming off a low-angle roof for implement storage. Don't really need gabled front, but might consider one in the rear for wood storage. Most of the heat for the house is from a wood stove which burns 3-4 cords a year.

Again, thanks for your thoughts. ....

View my Photos
Mecheng

2004-03-18          80249

Here is some info on storage containers. Great way to keep valubles if you are weekender. Seems like you could shop some pretty good deals since most of them are on a one way trip from China. It cost's $3500 to ship a 40 footer from China, loaded of course. Every medium to large city I have seen in China has factories making mountians of them!

Link:   Storage Containers

View my Photos
Mecheng

2004-03-18          80251

Here's my storage shed I built last summer. It has a 12X16x9 room for the tractor and an 8x16 work/storage room. Cost $1500. Wife put me on a tight budget cause it really needed to be 50% bigger. On the right side I do plan to build an 8 to 10 foot lean to which is away from the prevailing Westerly wind. I have it laid out on CAD but not fully detailed. PDF's availble upon request. ....

Picture Link
Barns Pole Barns Tractor Shed Designs  Seen any Good Ones

View my Photos
484Lou

2004-03-18          80253

A nice simple design, thanks for your shed description and photo. Is the siding metal or plastic? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-18          80260

Mecheng, nice job indeed.

If I may offer a suggestion, based on past experience. If you plan on extending it out to the right, take that steel siding off in that area and replace it with plywood or stronger. There is a natural tendency to put things up against (or accidentally bump) the back wall. No use screwing up perfectly good siding, just move it out to the new exterior wall.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Mecheng

2004-03-22          80738

The siding is painted steel. I bought it from a local shop cut to order. There was hardly any cutting and little waste. Makes the job go fast. Last year the price was $1.27 per running foot to cover 3 feet wide. No charge for cuts. As with any siding project, trim adds a lot of cost too. ....

View my Photos
Mecheng

2004-03-22          80740

Thanks Murf. good suggestion too, I'm already having that problem leaning heavy stuff up, like a post hole digger. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-03-22          80753

If you have enough strength in, or it's not too late to re-design the roof structure, and you have enough space hanging a PHD is a good solution.

A chain over a rafter and through the boom with the 3pth up high takes most of the weight when the 3pth is lowered. It also makes it a LOT easier to put it back on later.

A common solution around here is the 'poor man's' overhead crane, sections of barn door track lag-screwed or bolted to the roof trusses, with two sets of trucks (wheel sets) holding up a block & tackle or chain hoist. It makes moving heavy objects or loading & unloading a pickup a LOT easier.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jkjordan

2004-03-24          81018

I bought a trailer (as in tractor/trailer) instead of a storage container and use 1/2 of it to store my Kubota 3830 with ROPS, loader, and rear attachment. It is 45' long x 8' wide x 9.5' ceiling. No room to work but plenty for storage. About $1800 delivered - instant building. The dealer here in TN has dozens to choose from.

I got an aluminum trailer instead of steel to avoid rust problems and put it on five or six PT 4x4s resting on gravel. They remove the wheels so it is ground-level access. The floor is laminated hardwood on steel beams and plenty strong enough for the tractor. Locks securely and keeps the tractor out of the weather.

BTW, I don't think the standard steel shipping containers are tall enough to take the tractor with the ROPS raised.

JKJ ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login