Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pole Barn vs Conventional foundation and standard framing

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2014-02-05          188844

Take a look at the nice garage built in the Pole Barn style. I can's help but wonder in such a conventional looking residential application would the owner been better off pouring the footings and building a standard frame building.

I guess the Pole style eliminates support columns inside.. any thoughts

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Pole Barn vs Conventional foundation and standard framing

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2014-02-06          188847

Dennis;
After building several pole sheds and two frame sheds for myself over the past 40 some years the footing and frame building wins out in several ways.

First, good quality poles were getting about impossible to find. The green treated ones will rot off at ground level in as little as ten years. The creosote poles of late have about an inch of creosote on the outside leaving the center untreated, they don't last any better than the green ones. I don't own the properties where the new green and the new creosote poles were used, if I did I would gladly let you kick your foot into the shell of the rotted poles at ground level.

Second, at the time I built the frost wall and frame sheds the cost was about equal of a poled shed. The pole sheds had conventional barn steel. The frame sheds had chip board sheathing with vinyl siding and a conventional shingle roof.

Third, If you plan to insulate and finish, a frame building just works out lots easier.

Just my experiences.

Frank. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login