Go Bottom Go Bottom

Subj HOW DO YOU HEAT IT

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-02-15          139766

Anyone usage home heating oil or fuel oil to heat your shop, shed, pole building or other out building ?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Subj HOW DO YOU HEAT IT

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-02-15          139777

Ibrown59; I haven't did this myself, but have a cousin in southern Iowa who farms on a pretty big scale, so he generates lots of waste oil in a years worth of oil changes on tractors, trucks, etc. To solve a disposal problem and help heat his shop he installed a gun type oil burning forced air furnace. I don't know what ratio of heater oil to waste oil he uses. His only comment was that complete filtering of the waste oil is a must befor blending. If you have lots of waste oil or access to it for free this might be your thing. This cousin is a very tallented fellow in just about anything he wants to do, but I think most any experienced furnace person could get things going for you. Frank. ....

Subj HOW DO YOU HEAT IT

View my Photos
SG8NUC
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-15          139779

Hardwood,

I have seen several people use the propane cilinder heaters that blow out the heated air. They point in the area they are working and turn it off when they are through. This way they only heat when they need it and not the whole building. ....

Subj HOW DO YOU HEAT IT

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-02-15          139782

As to heating your shop, it seems it would depend on how often it will be heated, how big or is the area open and such. I have used wood heater and have to install a gas radiant heater. They are in ceiling or wall mounted styles and they direct the heat so you can be warm without the air having to be heated.

Subj HOW DO YOU HEAT IT

View my Photos
FRMLLA

2007-02-15          139787

just put a wood stove in. gonna add a drip waste oil system in it. ....

Subj HOW DO YOU HEAT IT

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-02-18          139852

Heating is only half of the equation, depending on where you live, temperature outside, etc.

You can heat the inside of building but if the temps outside are low enough you'll get condensation buildup in no time, especailly in all-steel building--on the lesser end wood-and-shingle.

Proper insulation will get you more for your heating dollar and comfort level.

The floor is a big contributor to condensation too so it can't forgotten too. Where I'm from we put down 2-4 inches of blue styrofoam under the entire footer and floor as our frost level is 42"

But all this is lost if your doors aren't insulated.

SG: Those torpedo or salamander heaters you spoke of are not good to use indoors as part of their heat product is exhausted as carbon monoxide, which you breathe. ....

Subj HOW DO YOU HEAT IT

View my Photos
botamac

2007-02-20          139915

I have a Clayton wood burning furnace in mine and it runs all winter long and my burns stays a comfy 70 to 75 deg. If your going to heat your burn/garage spend the money on the insulation it will pay off in the long run. Last week it was in the single digits and my barn was comfy warm. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login