Go Bottom Go Bottom

pole barn for a cabin insulation issues

View my Photos
k9fletch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-22          100721

I want to build a cabin on my property but I have limited funds, so I thought about a making a livable pole barn.

Has anyone seen a pole barn used as a cabin/home?

I know that spray on insulation is the method of choice but does anyone have any other ideas for insulation in a pole barn?

With most foam insulations do you need some type of FRP or will 5/8" drywall be sufficient?

My site is remote and I plan on building slowly as money and time permits.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AnnBrush
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-22          100731

I would imagine that savings made from using a pole barn as a frame? for a future home would be more than offset by the expense of modifications needed to make the pole barn usable as a regular home. Here I am thinking of things like stud spacing, cutting concrete and other modicications needed to acomodate plumbing and electrical requirements, material upgrades to the exterior from sheet metal to brick or wood etc for example, damp proofing walls and upgrading the method used to secure the poles (pilings) so they could carry more load and eliminate effects of rot etc. It would have to be a more expensive pole barn to begin with, in which case you might as well build a house to start. ....

View my Photos
denwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-22          100738

I have an entire book about building pole buildings that includes info for cabins/houses. It is called "Practical Pole Building Construction". It is by Leigh Seddon and lists for $10.95. It is published by Williamson Publishing Co. Box 185 Charlotte, Vermont 05445. Phone 1-800-234-8791. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2004-11-22          100743

I live in a 2 story pole barn. They are very easy to do. We did pour some very stout piers for the poles because of the 2nd story weight.

Poles are set 4' deep, concrete to peremiter walls, U can build 24" center 2x4 stud walls set between posts and use r19 in the walls.

If you use steel for the shell MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD VAPOR BARRIER TOP SIDES and UNDER PAD/FLOOR. It's the most critical thing you will do.

I have a photo of it on my home site. See below ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-11-25          101029

There is a company that builds pole barns and pole barn homes about 80 miles from here.

There is a 2 story pole barn home about 3 miles from me. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2004-11-26          101114

Have you spoken the respective building code enforcement official as to whether they will allow such a structure? I tried to build a pole-barn with a lean-to here in SE Michigan the old way (without an 8" wide x 42" deep ratwall foundation) and was told it had to be built to "national codes" just like regular garage. After submitting drawings on how I was to accomplish that it was ok'd (I suspended all the posts in the ratwall trench then made one, continuous concrete pour which became the ratwall and the post foundations) Worked out really well.

Also--how about re-sale value? Have you spoken to a realtor about that? ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-11-26          101118

1*Have you spoken to the respective building code enforcement official as to whether they will allow such a structure?
2*I was told it had to be built to "national codes" just like a regular garage.
3*Also--how about re-sale value? Have you spoken to a realtor about that.
earthwrks
=========================
1*There is no such thing as a building code enforcement official in my county because there isn't any county building code.
2*Was in the housing and building business 31 years around here and never came across a national, state or county building code for a garage pole building or a stick built house.
I did run into federal requirements to qualify for Government Loans.
The only code I ever had to comply with is the national code for Manufactured Housing.
3* Why would adding a pole building to your property decrease the value of your real estate?

Duh I can see it now : Had a piece of raw land worth $20000 .Put a new Mobile home on it and the value dropped to $10000 then added a pole barn and the value plunged again to $5000.
Any body wanna buy my place now for the new appraised value of $5000 ?

View my Photos
Taylorsheart

2010-08-21          173338

Hi there. I have been doing research on pole barn homes for almost 8 years now. My husband and I want to build a home , that resembles a barn w/ gambrel roof, but are open for other lay outs. Do you have any interior pics you would be willing to share? And any other advice would be great. Thank you, Jackie ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-08-21          173339

This thread is 6 years old, but we might be surprised if they reply.

One thing I want to bring up again is the resale value of a pole building home versus a typical stick built home of the same look. Prices of treated lumber and concrete have doubled since this original post so it may not be economical to build other than stick built. And one other thing is the cost of steel siding used the roof and siding has skyrocketed. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login