Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pex vs Copper replace Copper Pin holes

View my Photos
DeTwang
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-03          130360

Just pricing out copper for my new house....prices are through the roof!....my framer keeps trying to talk me into pex...anyone use it? Like it, hate it?

To go with copper from my pump house to my house, it will cost me well over 500 dollars for 3/4" type L (coiled)....In pex, it's about 150 dollars...I'm told the stuff doesn't burst when frozen (it expands, then remembers it's orginal shape)......

I'm concerned about using it in the house though, because critters can chew through it....and the county makes me sign a release of liability to them if I use it (which makes me wonder ...'why?').....I also already have about a third of what I need for the house in copper just laying around, and almost all the fittings......

interested in anyones experience with the stuff...It would cost me 3 or 4 hundred dollars for the tools, if I ever need to repair or modify the stuff (I can borrow for the original install)....but as a general contractor/kitchen & bath remodeler, I guess that would be considered an investment....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Paladin

2006-06-03          130376

My plumber is engaged in a gradual program to replace the copper in my mother's 1790 house with PEX. We have really acid water, and even though I had a neutralizer put in for her, the copper pipe will pinhole through anytime, anywhere. We have had to open walls and floors to fix pinholes. The PEX should be "forever". Since it is flexible, we can snake it through walls just like Romex and replace the copper. You can't do that with PVC or CPVC. ....

View my Photos
jimbrown

2006-06-04          130400

Almost all of the new houses being built in southern Az are using PEX ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-04          130404

Everything in earth quake zone is copper or PEX as they will flex. My brother is a plumber in B.C. and he and I did the house in PEX. With the proper banders it is easy and inexpensive. The garge is PEX and parts of it freeze every winter. I have 3/4 run from the house to the barn and all over underground with no problems to date.
I was suprised by the ease of installation. I ran the pipe around the parimeter of the 60 X 45 garage with out a leak. Certain not what would happen with copper or PVC. ....

View my Photos
steve4300

2006-06-07          130616

most plumbers around here are using pex with idividual runs back to a common maniford. ....

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-07          130619

I believe that my plumber is going to do my entire new house in PEX on the supply side. I've been putting up pictures on my website of the construction progress. There will be a plumbing page when the time comes.

Stay tuned... ....

Link:   The Av8r Web

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-06-08          130645

My house was done in PEX. But it's a modular job so it made it much less likely to have issues when the 4 sections were transported to the site and placed on the basement. Also easy to hook up to the main supply.

We have had many mice and a snake in the house with no issues that I've uncovered regarding critters chewing on it. Seems to work fine but the place in only 6-7 years old. ....

View my Photos
RRagent

2006-06-16          130934

PEX Good Stuff. I went to e-bay and bought the 1/2 and 3/4
crimping tools, Got them new for half what Lowes wanted for them., Simple to use not near as high as copper,. Sell copper,Buy Pex, Take wife out to east with whats left over couple times. ....

View my Photos
kyvette

2006-06-28          131513

My general contractor ask me about using plex instead of copper in my new house. He said he had used it in the last 6 or 7 houses he had built. I did a little research and so far have only been impressed with the product and apparent ease of installation.

I told my general to go ahead with plex. I'm not sure I can afford copper. I am also conerned about increases from my electrical contractor. My general included price increases in our contract, but I bet there isn't enough for electrical. ....

View my Photos
lbrown59

2008-01-23          150638

My only experience with PEX was a couple of years ago when I put in a hew hot water tank and replaced some of the water lines with pex.
I had a lot of trouble with the PEX compression fittings not sealing resulting in several leaks.
I had a couple of them pop completely off and flooding the place a few times.
I still have several feet on the roll that I bought back then.
I have to replace some old rusty water pipe and plan to use the pex pipe on that project but Am going to use Shark Bite fittings on it rather than pex fittings.

View my Photos
linedrive

2008-01-24          150657

I've used in the latest remodel and saved me lots of headaches trying to shield existing structure while doing the copper joints with a torch and not burning down the house. The PEX allowed me to route the lines like nomex. I used the "shark bite" fittings and they're great. Easily goes from PEX to copper to PVC with same fitting. NO leaks to date :-) ....

View my Photos
Paladin

2008-01-24          150660

The only problem with the shark bite fittings is that they are expensive. Make sure that they give you the little shark bite release tool so you can take the fitting off if you mess up.

With copper prices going through the roof you are going to see alot more PEX used. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-02-25          168810

Wondering if anyone has used Pex lately, particularly as a replacement to a failing existing copper installation.

Unfortunately, we just finished the basement where we used Pex for the new plumbing. We did sheet rock ceilings in most of it, But we do have a possible path we can run where there is a drop ceiling.

House is in its lucky 13th year, have acid water with an acid nuetraizer tank. Four plus years ago I got a pin hole leak in the quarter inch copper ice maker feed.

Then last month quarter inch pipe in kitchen faucet, next a pin hole leak in a quarter inch pipe in a Bath faucet.

Today a half inch curved copper pipe pin hole leak in a cold water pipe to jacuzzi (hoping bendable half inch pipe is significantly thinner than straight run copper pipe).

Is there any way to test/monitor the pipes for pin holes or do I just have to wait for water damage to appear. Like putting a presure test guage on?

Or just sell the house now :(

Dennis ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-02-25          168813

Sell the house? You mean of course with full disclosure LOL

Anywho...my buddy has the same issue, although we've only seen it in the basement---RUT-ROH it's in the walls too! We haven't talked about that!

To answer your question yes he used PEX.

I wonder, in the event of a leak or mutiple leaks does homeowners insurance cover the damage?

Also, pressure testing could lead to a complete disaster---think sprinkler system. And even if you fixed or replaced the bad places in time the rest will go. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2010-02-25          168815

On the Homeowners Insurance I believe that insurance pays for the damages that are the result of the leak not the cause of it. So the insurance company will not pay to replace my leaky pipes :(

View my Photos
Murf

2010-02-26          168820

Not that I'm advocating any such thing, but if an air compressor got mistakenly attached to the water system in error and it pressurized the house water system and a bunch of leaks appeared...........

And while the walls and ceilings were open you took the opportunity to replace the pipes yourself......

"But I'm jis' sayins' all." ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-02-26          168824

State Farm did all kind of reports on how much they paid in damage per year due to water lines freezing in unheated houses. Seems to be a major issue in houses where people cut off the heat and leave for the winter or say long vacation but leave the water on.

Dennis, about 98% sure this is the local company who runs radio ads for such repairs as you are facing. They say they have a system to go into your water lines and coat the inside to seal those leaks and prevent them. No idea past their radio add and realize they are not local to you but if they really can do it then there are plumbers near you who can. Surely if you contacted them they could tell you what the procedure is called or what to ask for.

Watershed Plumbing Co Inc
1304 Madison Drive, North Myrtle Bch, SC 29582-3844
(843) 272-5670ý

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login