Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Concept truck I want one

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-22          77598

Full size! Finally!

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-22          77599

Thanks for the link. Some neat features, but why does Toyota always have the ugliest grills in the industry? They need a diesel too. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-22          77600

The grill is the best looking part of the whole machine.... the rest of it is BUTT UGLY. And what about that motorcycle dashboard? And that, that.... That SADDLE (????) in the middle of the passenger compartment??? STUPID!!

Well. That was more than two cents, wasn't it? Guess I will stick to my TUNDRA.

MH ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-22          77631

I agree with DRankin except goofy is what came to my mind. ;o) ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-22          77632

No offense intended there grinder! I am sure it will be a mechanically great vehicle but the styling just did not appeal to me. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-23          77646

Take a look at the whats coming down the line for the big
three. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-23          77648

New Hummer
Just an example Chief, My point being there are many changes coming in the
auto biz. I for one am tired of spending 25,000 for a piece of american
engineered junk.I look forward to someone with Toyota's reputation building a
full size truck. I don't like everything about it,but would buy a full size
toyota anyday over the big three. Just my opinion no trying to start WW3.
My GMC has been in and out of the shop since 900 mi. My last one wasn't much
better and my 89 was a joke. Three strikes! My brother in the mean time has
had a T100,180,000 mi. and three tundra's. He never has any problems. The
Tundra just isn't big enough yet for me and my needs,camper,stump grinding etc.
No offense taken Chief,I know that when you get old changes are scary. (just
kidding).
Check out the UAW web page,for some interesting info. How long can they afford
(the big three) to give away free money ? No interest,rebates, it has to catch up sometime. I think everyone in America is going to have a new truck before they are done. Ten years ago the US had a 74% market share,today it is 59%.

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-23          77666

grinder, I agree with you 10,000% on the frustration with the quality,workmanship, engineering, and design of the American cars. I know first hand after my miserable experience with my 1993 Suburban K2500. Will NEVER have a GM truck again. Same thing with the wifes 1995 Taurus. Ford is off my list of considerations as well. I am currently VERY much enjoying my 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins. If Totyota offered a truck like this, I would be all over it. The Dodge has its short comings and problems, but NOTHING like GM and Ford. I like it most because it IS, behaves, and drives like a truck, especially with the 6 speed. The Cummins is a dream to run. I guess one reason the Dodge has been so much better is that the only part of the truck that is made by Dodge is the sheetmetal. The engine, and drive train are all made by other companies. I would buy that Toyota you posted the link to before I would buy another Chevrolet or Ford. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-23          77670

I absolutely agree on Toyota quality and if someday the truck pictured in the link is the only game in town.... I guess I would buy it.

I just do not understand the current sheet metal and design on ANY pick-up. The manufacturers spend a lot of time trying to sell us a look.... a perception... of truck-like toughness.

I don't want the look. I want the truck.

I am disappointed that Toyota is bending to the perceived market pressures and making something out of a cartoon or a custom truck show.

I have seen this design before: it usually has a babe in a swimsuit and spike heels petting it. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-23          77671

I look at those high window-sills, high box sides and big fender flares and only 2 words come to mind.....

BLIND SPOTS.

Then I read about all the neat stuff tucked away underneath that 'truck' box and two more words come to mind...

SALT & SLUSH.

That truck is definitely one to lease not buy, in 3 years I think you would definitely want to toss the keys back to the dealer and drive home something else.

Just my Canadian two cents (1.3 cents US), and I LIKE Toyota's........

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
StephenR

2004-02-23          77678

There's no cozying with your sweety in that thing. Bench seats are good for something. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-23          77680

Sorry Guys, I'm a die-hard American and will only buy American brand products when they are available. Trucks and cars are about the only thing left. If farmers hold out for another penny, we import food too. We're a nation of middle men and hamburg flippers. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-23          77681

Last time I checked, Indiana and Texas were still in America. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-23          77684

I agree that domestic automakers have a long way to go quality wise, and I won't be buying another Ford or GM anytime soon if I can help it. But the Toyota Corolla we had in the late 80's didn't impress me much either. It had some of the most boneheaded engineering of any vehicle I've owned. For example, the front wheel bearings were NOT sealed and could not be removed and packed without removing the steering knuckles and having the bearings pressed. So they'd go out every 20k miles and it would take a day to remove the knuckles, take them down to get new bearings pressed in, and then reassembly. I could do this in 30 minutes on most vehicles. Didn't impress me much. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-23          77685

Ya, when you work for them, you get to wear a gray uniform with some Jap stuff written on it that you don't understand. Chances are it says: "I am a dummy". You then must bow to someone every morning first thing before you start working when you are in your group brain washing meeting. Every position is managed by a Japanese transplant who grins and chuckles to himself or his peers everytime an American worker is near. They never gave up on WWII and we're to dumb to realize it. The profits go back to Japan so they can then dump some more product in this country and wipe out another sector of business and our economy.

Sorry, I just got started and already bleeped out the bad stuff-It gets allot worse!

Our only gratification is knowing that when their Stateside duty is up and they need to rotate back home, the wives don't want to go back and be subservient citizens again. The kids eat decent food and grow to be 6' tall and don't fit through the 5' tall doorframes, need new beds and kitchen counter redos because they are too low.

Funny thing is, they can pay American workers the same basic wage and pay for ten times the advertising costs and still sell for less. Most of the base raw materials and tooling comes from Japan. I don't and won't consider it American! ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-23          77688

Where else can you RANT + Rave anomalously(look it up)
for twenty bucks a year? I love this country.
I will bet my old 69 1/2 ton 4wd chevy 6 cyl 4 spd.
is still going! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2004-02-23          77690

Grinder you deviant character...

My '98 F150 has 170K miles and working on another 100K. I have NEVER had any work done on it besides oil/filters, brakes, and tires (oh, and coolant/spark plug replacement at 100K). I still never have to add oil between 5000 mi changes.

It is by far the best, most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-23          77698

Yooper, you're probably mostly right, and you know who you have to thank for it?

Gen. MacArthur, the guy who rebuilt Japan and it's economy.

So next time you see Japan's economy bulldozing over someone else's, think just one thing, Japan's economy was MADE IN AMERICA.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-23          77711

Shortmagnum
Even a blind squirel finds an acorn once in a while.

"deviant" departing from the norm.
Haven't been called that lately, but
it is accurate.
Good luck with your truck. It was nice to hear
one good american made comment. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-24          77771

I wonder if all the American trucks that roll up those big miles have manual transmissions?

Or if they are automatics, whether they ever tow or haul heavy loads. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-24          77773

Actually it's funny you bring up the automatic/manual question.

I was at the Hino (Toyota's big truck division) truck dealership the other day pondering 6 new wheels. I was looking at the new Hino conventional. They have a 5 ton conventional (9' cab-to-axle) with a turning radius of just 25 feet, thats impressive for a cab-over, never mind a conventional. But I digress, and drool.

The salesman brought up the subject of automatic transmissions, they also sell Frieghtliners. He says that behind air conditioning auto. trannys are the number one option now in tractor-trailers. The technology has evolved to the point now where they are as efficient and cost effective as a manual gearbox to run. In fact in stop-and-go situations they beat a manual hands down.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-24          77776

Big trucks. Maybe.

One family member has replaced the auto tranny in his Ford F250 4 times and another family member is on his third auto tranny in his Dodge half ton and it is ailing.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-24          77777

My brother went through four auto trannies in his GM in the first 30k miles and he drives like an old lady. I'd much rather have a stick since they're cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, and you don't have to wait for the stinkin thing to downshift but in some trucks they're getting hard to find. Mark, I think on the Tundra you have to take an auto if you go for the V8. Is that right? ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2004-02-24          77778

I've heard isolated instances of people having problems with auto transmissions on all makes. I also have heard of allot of people that are totally happy and pull big stuff around without trouble. My neighbor has a 93 Dodge 4X2 diesel that he uses exclusively for towing a house trailer all over the country (mostly Michigan to Texas to California to Washington and back through Colorado to home). He has 135,000 miles on it without problems. Usually, once you have trouble it can often reoccur. A totally new one will usually put an end to it. Getting the factory to replace it is difficult.

Some manufacturers and models recommend towing in overdrive, others don't.

On F250's & F350's you can also rip out the front ends if you try hard enough with the diesel option. Real heavy loads, through plowed fields and turning sharp so the wheel is locked, again and again and again can do it sometimes!

Manufacturing tolerances on all of the parts are very precise. I can't unstand why some have problems, others don't.

I've heard the Allison transmission in the GM HD series is the strongest in the industry. That's according to GM ads. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-02-24          77779

Ken, the Tundra V-6 is available with a 5 speed manual and you are correct that the V-8/Auto is a package. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-24          77787

Wonder why Honda doesn't build a truck?
Do they offer one over seas?

Love Our Accord "runs like a timex" ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-24          77790

I think that the Toyota concept is interesting, but I don't think it would suit me. As for all the bashing of GMC trucks, here is one happy owner.

I have had good luck with my American trucks. It also seems that the more I take care of the trucks, the luckier I get. My '92 GMC K2500 has about 90K short trip miles. Those are tougher on a truck than long trips. It has a 5.7L with auto and limited slip. It tows my 10,000 GW trailer. The truck has been fully maintained and has run mobil 1 since breakin. (It does not use a drop of oil between changes.) The only two long trips that the truck has taken is when running as a support truck on the Baja 1000 two times. That means that it runs on the race course with the racers, but is not racing them and can get off when necessary. Automatic transmissions do better at getting power to loose ground just like the arguments expressed here about HST on tractors. I will buy a new hauling truck someday, but this one has not quit or even slowed down. Its paint is dull, it has Baja racing stipes down the side (those scratches that you get running the truck through a gap in the pucker bushes that is five inches narrower than the body), it's gas milages sucks when towing, and it is geared so low that it doesn't like to go much above the max speed limit here which is 75 MPH. I don't know why this has been such a good truck, but it has. Incidently, it was built in Canada.

The only two problems that I have had with the truck have been minor electrical problems. These have probably been related to the off-road bashing that it has taken over the years. I think that I did replace the water pump a few years ago, but I consider that normal maintenance. It still has the original valves. It is on its fourth set of tires. It has been hit by other people in cars three times, and it only has a small blemish in one bumper.

I used to run a Toyota SR4 with 4 sp manual in Baja. It was a pretty good truck. But, I did have to rebuild the transmission a few times. Toyota had a design flaw in the tranny that caused bearing failure. I got to where I could park it on Friday evening and have it back together ready to go for work on Monday morning. One time in Baja I had a complete lighting system failure at around midnight. Believe me when I tell you that these are not skills that you want to develop. The one very good thing about the Toyota was that it was simple enough that you could repair it in the middle of the desert if you did not crack something. Most cars today can't make that claim.

View my Photos
Murf

2004-02-24          77792

Michael, the truck is just so happy to be down there in the warm weather and out of the snow that it is on it's best behaviour that's all.... ;->>>

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2004-02-24          77794

One thing that is certainly a factor is that we don't use any type of salt on the roads here, so corrosion of the body is not much of a problem. (I used to live outside of Chicago, so I do know what that is like.) ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-24          77805

Murf, I think you hit on a major point. It's a little
more demanding of a vehicle when the temps are 30 below.
(not wind chill). Starting and cooling off several times a
day in that weather yr. after yr.is a good test of quality.
Not to mention the sand and salt and slush and ice,and the
frost heaves and mud, and and why am I living here? ....

View my Photos
unit5alive
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-02-25          77927

Grinder, Honda has a full size truck in the works ,fall 2005? ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-26          77949

Do you have any info on it? ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-02-26          78009

Have to step into this one and fend for the Ole Dodge. I bought her used and pull a two horse pumper around the appalachee moutains, also haul hay / multch and stone. I did have to put a rebuild tranny in at about 87,000 miles. Had some issues there with the places I went to get it done. But other then needing her 100,000 mile tune and some work on the front end suspension caused by me getting back to the huntin' camp this year. She has run like a champ.
I used to have a Toyota and blew a cylinder doing a commute between Baltimore and New Jersey. It was the dealer that completly turned me away from Toyota forever. Getting it worked on and repaired. All the problems with Toyota and service/ parts. Never again. I had some similar problems at my local dodge dealer. ( Won't go back to they again, but that was just the dealer and the service department. I began to wornder if they were not causing more problems then they were fixing. As soon as I took it to the Ma and Pop shop and had a good ole boy give her a once over. She has run great ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-02-27          78061

Unit 5 alive
Yeah I found a picture of it, just another city boy truck
with a 4' bed ,four doors. Women like them for grocery's
and soccer games.
Too bad!! ....

View my Photos
Rick

2004-03-16          80034

I think the Toyota FTX is the most stylish and creative truck to come to the marke, if it ever does. I guess you guys are just "old stick in the muds." I may be old in body, but I'm young in mind and I think the radical look is cool and just what the industry needs. Finally, a truck that actually accomodates those of us who drive long distances hauling bikes and other light cargo to and fro. Hybrid drive system! Just what I have been waiting for. Finally, a company that is looking to put mileage in a large pickup. I don't know why others haven't done so in standard gas engine pickups. The attention to detail is great also, tool boxes in doors and folding into the bed, what a great idea. I'll bet you will soon see that with the other big guys (just like everyone copied the folding rear seat in the Honda minivan). A ramp that tucks into the back, hey how trick is that? The dash is awesome and I like the "floating" style seat. Finally, a seat you don't have to look under with a flash light to find your sunglasses, loose change, wallet, condoms or what have you. This is a neat vehicle that I'll be will never see the light of day. Just another wonderful concept vehicle that builds you up then lets you down when it disappears. ....

View my Photos
paulss

2004-03-16          80043

grinder,

The Honda SUT (Sports Utility Truck) will be based on the Pilot and will have full-time All Wheel Drive (essentially front wheel drive w/a transfer case to the rear wheels and no low range). It will have the same V-6 as the Pilot and Odyssey and may or may not have a rear drop down to lengthen the cargo bed (like the Avalanche). It will not have a separate bed and will be about the same size as an Explorer Sport-Trac. All in all a great package for someone who occasionally needs to haul something but it definitely won't be a full-sized truck such as the Nissan Titan and it sure won't be in the same neighborhood as any of the 3/4 & 1 ton diesel pickups.

Paul ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-16          80056

Paulss
I was hoping honda would make something like a tacoma in 2wd.
For me, nine months of the year that's all I need. Of course
I would keep my full size American Pig. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login