Go Bottom Go Bottom

gas mpg help

View my Photos
Doughboy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-03          109355

I have a 2004 ram 4x4 1500 5.9. I am getting about 12.5 mpg. I was thinking of getting rid of my catalytic converter and running larger duel exhaust. Will this help my mpg?? With gas at 2.15 plus any little increase will help.

I have heard of some people doing this and they got substantial increase. Is this true? Or the urban legend thing?

Thanks for the help

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

gas mpg help

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-03          109357

A cat back system may help a small %, but it will take many, many miles to pay for itself. Unless they burn diesel, mopars are not known for MPG's.

Do not remove the CAT. Fines are HUGE!

Best bet is to take the money for a fancy 4" exhaust and buy an old beater box that gets big MPG's. (Geo, Jetta, Cavalier, etc.) ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
Doughboy

2005-04-03          109358

unless its a fed thing. missouri dept of rev said i can go with 18,000 lb plates and not have emmisions ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-03          109362

1. Its a Fed thing.
2. 18k GVW gas truck has a CAT too. Look under a gas U-Haul. Everything on the road has Fed emissions minimums. OEM equipment must be intact.
3. 18k plates on a 6500 GVW truck won't fly with the DMV either. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-04-04          109370

I don't think a less restrictive exhaust system will help your gas mileage. This sounds like something guys will tell their wives to justify the duals. If the exhaust is a limiting point on a given fuel injected vehicle, a less restrictive system will actually make you use more fuel. Gaining extra power has to come from somewhere.

Driving technique is by far the most effective way to get better gas mileage, at least if your truck is in tune, tires up to correct pressure, etc.

I think the Hemi gets better mileage than the 360 did. The 4.7 in my Ram is a little better, but still bad.

Good luck,
Bill ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-04-04          109373

I have a '92 Toyota 4x4 pick-up with the fuel injected 4cyl since new. In my single days that's where my money went. I put on a Borla cat back system, a Jacobs mutlti-fire ignition system, and a K&N airfilter. I would like to try a header, but I'm not single any more. The sticker said I would get 22hwy/18city.
At 153,000, I get 24mpg with the cap on and 25mpg with the cap off. And that's with 32x11.5 Goodrich ATs on. This is Summer time mileage, winter is slightly less, about 21/22mpg. From what I've heard, the blend is different in the winter, more questionable enviromental crap. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-04-04          109375

I wouldn't spends hundreds of dollars to save pennies. If you are driving the truck and not using it to full capabilities like hauling or towing most of the time, my suggestion would also be to purchase a small fuel efficient vehicle. I have a '99 Grand Am GT that gets about 28 mpg on the highway and has about 100,000 miles on it. This however doesn't work for everyone.

I also mow lawns on the side. Mowing one or two more lawns per week pays for the extra fuel costs. Then you can drive what you want and whenever. That is another method of justification! ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
Doughboy

2005-04-04          109376

my only thought is that if i could get an extra 2-4 mpg it would pay for its self. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
yooperpete

2005-04-04          109380

Pop up your tire air pressure to the maximum recommended and consider changing to a road tire slightly higher in diameter and narrower. A slightly larger diameter tire gives you the equivalent of a slightly higher rear end ratio. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
Billy

2005-04-04          109381

I just bought my wife a work car, because of the skyrocketing gas prices. A $900.00 1995 Geo Metro. Runs like a top and 46 MPG. I figure it will pay for itself in a year, less if current gas prices continue to rise. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-04          109383

Exactly what I was talking about in my 1st post.

I bought my '86 Jetta 4 years ago for $500. In total with all reapirs and parts I still have less than $1500 in it and it is going strong at near 50 mpg. Best one year winter car I've ever had. LOL.

No matter how much you try or how much you spend, Doughboy, you will never make your Ram an economical vehicle to commute in. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2005-04-04          109385

Here are my simple observations
Countries where gas is expensive (most of the non-US western world) = small cars (almost all 4 cylinder) that sip fuel
Countries where gas is (relatively) cheap = large vehicles (mostly more than 4 cyl) that guzzle.

You have to go smaller to achieve better efficiency, it takes lots of fuel to drag that large vehicle around. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
Logan

2005-04-04          109393

I have the same truck but a '98 model, auto tran. I get 16.5 highway, 75 mph. I changed to synthetic rear differential lube, recommended for trailer pulling, and got an extra 1 mpg. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-04-04          109397

It is possible to spend alot of money on exhaust systems, synthetic lubes, tires (and wheels) and all kinds of other things which may or may not give a couple of MGP's, at the most, increase. This same money could get you a small car to run as a commuter and get double or triple the MPG's and "save" the commuting miles on the truck at the same time. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-04-05          109450

Yep, fuel is expensive. One of my chores this weekend is to get the motorcycle up and running. At 40-45 mpg, it beats the snot out of my F250 diesel and is faster too.

US consumers are oil addicts. We'll keep buying it. Too bad I don't live closer to work else I'd use a pedal bike. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
StephenR

2005-04-05          109452

I began driving '79. I remember all too well the gas shortages and the thought that I wasn't going to drive, my lifelong passion at the time. I always try to get the most efficient vehicle to do the job.
One thing about buying another vehicle is just not the cost of the vehicle but, insurance, maintenance, and here in Pennsylvania, $60 for inspection each year. But if you're only getting 12mpg, you can make that up pretty quick. ....

gas mpg help

View my Photos
taheide

2005-04-21          110184

Gassers, you are pretty much stuck with the economy that you get provided it is in tune, tire pressures at the proper level, alignment in good shape, etc. Adding components like exhaust, intakes, cams, ignition systems will gain you HP but will NOT help at all in the economy range.

Diesels on the other hand, can be modified to get higher MPG gains. Example, F350 Dually Diesel, add a 5" exhaust, K&N or other free flowing intake, and a tuner can give 1-3 MPG increase in fuel gains. Driving habits can also give better gains when the above mods are added, but in some cases(mine) the mileage will stay the same because the added power translates to a heavier foot with gives a greater smile factor. I have gained, when driving carefully and keeping foot out of firewall, 2.5 MPG with a tuner and 5" exhaust, but normal driving with hotshot takes offs(because its cool for an 8000 dually to smoke the wheels) have kept my mileage around 15 MPG. On the highway doing 60 I have a good 19 MPG average, above 60 though because of the 4:10, the average drops to around 17. Above 65 closer to 75 I get between 14 and 15 MPG. Before I added the tuner, I was getting average 14-15 MPG driving granny style, with the tuner I can drive aggressively and still maintain 14-15 MPG.

It costs me well over $80 a week to drive the truck when fuel was about $2 agallon, now would be much higher at $2.50 a gallon, so I parked it and got me a car that I have been wanting for a long time, 2001 Crown Vic LX Sport. It costs me about $40 a week to drive it, so I save about $40 a week, $160 a month. Doesnt make up the difference for the car payment and insurance, but I have a baby on the way and a good safe car is a good idea, that and its a nice car and fun to drive. On average the Vic will give me about 21 MPG depending on traffic, the faster I go the better the milage, the more stop and go the lower the mileage, 18 city, 27 highway, most of my commute is 55 MPH roads, but some of them during rush hour have people who dont know that to go 55 MPH they need to put their right foot on that long pedal on the right and press down. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login