Go Bottom Go Bottom

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
deniser
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-05          73135

We're looking at tractors for our small farm. Our contenders are a 1961 MB Unimog (former Swiss army general implement carrier with PTO's hydraulics, etc, etc) and new Ferrari and Antonio Carraro tractors. We need 25-45 HP. The Italian tractors seem to be the best fit for us since we need an extremely tight turning radius and 4wd stability on slopes. We plan on using a spader as well as the usual mowers and front loaders, backhoe, etc. Anyone have any experiences with AC or Ferrari tractors? Anyone have any references we can use to calculate soil compaction differences in a 4500lb vs 2000lb vehicle?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-05          73145

Wow! Ferrari makes a tractor. You need an Enzo to keep the tractor company. Good luck in your hunt. ....

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-05          73148

You are looking at three very good machines, no doubt. The one observation I would make though is that the Unimog is in a class by itself, it is capable of things like road travel that tractors only dream of.

I have no personal experience with the AC but have heard from friends in a wine producing region near here that they are good machines.

The Ferrari is an excellent unit, they are popular along with Same's and the Landini's among Italian-Canadian truck farmers and thoise with large personal gardens.

My best advice would be to find and talk to a few owners and find the best DEALER in your area, that is the key to success.

As for the issue of soil compaction, that is NOT so much an issue of total weight of the vehicle, it is a result of the pounds per square inch transmitted to the ground. In other words a 4,000 pound tractor will apply the same weight to the ground as a 2,000 pound tractor with a half as much tire contacting the ground.

Best of luck. ....

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
grinder

2004-01-06          73256

Parts and repairs!!

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-06          73259

Anywhere there is much in the way of orchards, vineyards or both there is surely more than just a few Italian tractors and the dealers that sell and service them.

The Italians created this category of machine and are probably second only to the Japanese in terms of quality and experience.

They have models and features that just don't exist anywhere else to speak of. Things like 65 hp Agricultural tractors on steel tracks, complete with 3pth & PTO, talk about a bush machine at home on tough terrain!!

Best of luck. ....

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
1forza

2004-01-21          74672

You motivated me to register! I own a Ferrari Raptor 30 and love it...just wanted to extend the invitation for you to reach out if I can give you any info. I bought from Eugene Canales in Gridley CA. I am in CT and had not one problem with Mr. Canales (Ferrari CIE). In fact, this was the most pleasant transactions that I have ever made. The tractor is on the small side of the compact market and this factor has translated into a HUGE benefit for me and my application (low trees, tight spots, residential areas, limited storage,etc). It has plenty of grunt and easily out drags, lifts, and performs most of my friends larger, heavier machines. This is one siuation where bigger aint necessarily better! I consider the machine an excellent value in this price point. I have worked with and on several larger tractors(JD, New Holland, Kubota)that left me looking for more. I have been using the Ferrari tractor for hauling logs, clearing brush, grading top soil, moving spreading mulch, turning compost, aerating, mowing, tilling loading debris in my F350 stakeside dump, pushing snow, etc. A few quick observations. The tractor is really only limited by its shear weight. It seems that it could lift double what it can if the tractor had more weight...but that's a trade off in other considerations of turf care that I am into. The bucket (Bonnatti) is overbuilt and rigged. Compare the 3 point hitch and note the materials used in the link arms, these are heavy duty...excellent lift (rated at 700 kg but I can tell you it easily lifts enough to get me in trouble). Excellent Lombardini motor...tourque at low rpms, excellent fuel efficiency. I could go on. Give Canales a call...he's a gentleman and a guy that stands behind what he sells. The issue of Italian products is always clouded by reliability and availability of parts. This thing is a work of art and functionality. Canales is in CA and Lombardini is in GA. Canales overnighted me a PTO shroud because I bunged it up and couldn't stand looking at it...fast and easy. If I can be of any assistance..please do not hesitate to email me. Regards, MCat ....

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
TomBaldwin

2004-01-24          74924

Deniser, definitely consider Antonio Carraro. While I have not used one, I have talked to their people and seen them at trade shows and am impressed. They have doubled their sales in 2003 vs. 2002 in the US and have opened new dealers in California, Washington and Oregon. They say their spare parts division supplies parts within one working day to any part of the US. They are very popular in California since their super low profile works well with the collection of grapes in the wine country.

While my JD 755 has met all my needs and then some, I am holding out hope that one day I can own one of these fine machines.

Tom

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
Peters

2004-02-09          76480

You might also look at the McCormick as the compacts are likely rebadged Landini. I was impressed with the specs also.
The powertrac publishes the best numbers for slopes on the NA machines. ....

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
oneace

2004-04-08          82531

just to let you know there is not a manufatuer out there that has a tighter turning radius than a new holland with super steer ....

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
Steven Harris

2004-04-09          82570

I have a Ferrari 95 from the mid 1980s. Mine is the articulated model with about 30 HP.

These are great tractors, you'd be amazed at the power that these tractors can deliver to the ground. Dual power take off is very cool.

My machine has a front loader (not Ferrari) that works OK, but these machines are not really suited to a loader, unless you are just lifting light bulkly items. Trying to do serious front loader work causes two problems; first the bucket places a huge load on the articulation bearings and second, the wheel base is very short requiring lots of counterweight on the back. That makes more stress/wear on the articulation joint bearings. I'm in the process of replacing those bearings on my tractor, it's not a hard thing to do, nor is it very expensive, but it is one more thing on the ever-growing list of "to dos". ....

Link:   

Click Here

Italian Tractors

View my Photos
jimwms

2015-04-24          192642

I have an older Ferrari 85, great work horse. The front is too long for a front loader (in my opinion) and just looks way out of balance. That said, a friend has a Pasquali with a slightly shorter front end with a loader on it and it works great. no need for extra weight on the 3pt as the rest of the tractor is heavy enough to do the job. Westendorf makes a 3pt bucket called the AutoDump. lots of videos to see how it works. Fell in love with the articulated tractors when I lived in Italy and saw them in use in hill country. can go where I would be scared to take a JD, Kubota, etc. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login