Go Bottom Go Bottom

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Dave R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-05          6639

Informal survey.Do you wear your seatbelt when operating a tractor equipped w/ROPS?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Ken Day

1999-08-05          6640

nope, I only have one small area that could be considered a problem. The belt does not easily adjust for size like a car seat belt, and it's a pain. I've used tractors for over 30 years and never had a problem. It's called be cautious on hills. btw, it a JD655 ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Foxbrook Farm

1999-08-05          6641

Nope....and we all should. I know that makes me stupid!! I know or knew a guy drove a tractor for over 40 yrs, a full time farmer. He was very respectful and cautious with equipment...more so than most I know. In a split second, crushed by his tractor. Dead. It only takes once. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Dave Mandel

1999-08-05          6645

Not for mowing flat areas but always when using the front loader and when working on hills. I almost tiped one once and learned my lesson. I've been wearing the belt for 20 yrs now. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Keith

1999-08-05          6646

Most definitely! I operate my little JD 750 on my hunt club's 700 acres of property, which we lease from paper companies. The land is rolling hill type terrain to start with. Then, add in the washouts from rain, deep ruts that the skidders leave behind, deep gullies, and it gets to be pretty rough to drive over. All we are trying to do is to keep the firebreaks and skidder trails open, and a few open, level areas that we plant food plots. I just feel much safer with it on, anyway.Be safe!Keith ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
bo

1999-08-05          6647

Only when I get scared or when my wife yells at me. Seriously , I wear it on the hills and when I have a load in the bucket on the hills. I guess that is where I get scared. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
DougH

1999-08-05          6648

All the time. It is automatic for me to put it on in the car and when I get on the tractor, I put it on with out thinking. I even reach for the belt when I get on the garden tractor or the Gator. We have very hilly land and I am fairly new to the tractor. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Carl in VA

1999-08-05          6653

Absolutely!! I just traded a NH 1710 for my Kubota 3410 in part because it did not have a ROPS and I did not always feel safe on it. I know of at least one case where an operator fell off of the machine and was crushed by the rear wheel. The moral is that the seat belt is not just for roll-overs and should be worn at all times. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Steve

1999-08-05          6655

I'm guilty of not wearing the belt on my JD855 when mowing on flat ground, but I'll ditto Dave's remarks above when it comes to loader work on hillsides. I too came very close to rolling a tractor in that very situation many years ago. One near miss on a hillside is all I needed to start wearing my seatbelt from that point forward. Don't wait for the near miss because you might not be that lucky! ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Mike

1999-08-05          6657

I am a delivery driver for U.P.S.I've been strapping myself in a setbelt over a 100 times a day for the past 21 years,so the procedure is kind of routine.So when I get off work I put on the belt for the trip home and put on the belt when I climb on our tractor to mow the yard.Anyone who thinks they can out-jump a rolling tractor,compact or not,is literally taking there life in there own hands.I know two people who have survived compact rollovers and knew one who did'nt.I don't think I need to say who had the belt on and who did'nt. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-08-05          6659

Always. Last Sunday a 35 year old man was killed while brush-hogging about 2 or 3 miles from my 24 acres. The story I hear is that he ran into a hornets nest (around here that probably means yellowjackets) on flat ground. While fighting them off he apparently fell off the tractor and was run over by the mower. I don't know whether he was wearing his seatbelt and took it off to get away from the yellowjackets, or whether he wasn't wearing it and just fell off the tractor.Wearing the seat belt is not much trouble, and your children need you, so wear it. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-08-05          6661

Not usually. Frankly, I enjoy the freedom and accept the risk. I'm not stupid about this... When conditions warrant,I will fasten the seatbelt and might even consider a helmet. I do exactly the same thing in my car, and wear a helmet on my motorcycle when I feel it is proper - usually because I feel like going fast that day......To me, therisk is an acceptable part of my enjoyment. Roger Loving ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
jim

1999-08-05          6666

Never wore it. Don't wear it in my truck either. I know I should but I'm a creature of habit. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Paul in Alaska

1999-08-06          6670

I have a JD670 and I always wear one. They wouldn't call 'em accidents if you knew they were coming. I was involved in accident investigation/prevention as a past career. The only way you can gage sucesss is by failure. You will never know and can never know how many accidents you prevent. Youor anyone else just can't tell. It doesn't take but a second to use proper safety equipment but has the potential to save an enormous amound of grief. Just think of a time you injured yourself doing something you know wasn't smart. I bet you had maybe a few weeks or month to think about it. I suspect those that haven't worn them are just lucky. The phrase "It won't happen to me" doesn't work either. I'll step off my soapbox now... ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-08-06          6671

When I first got my 855 twelve years ago, I wore it from time to time. And that was mostly on Loader work and Hilly areas. Then I started getting more and more cautious about using one everytime I get in my car. Then I would Sometimes get the urge to just buckle it up at some point in my day of mowing my lawn. Now I have my New John Deere 4200-HST Which is a much bigger tractor, and it is bulkier, and doesn't seem as Acrobatic as my 855 was.. so I wear my seatbelt everytime I get on my new one. I think a lot of it has to do with the new retractible seatbelts too.. they are always clean, and always fit. But, I just feel a little more awkwark on my new tractor because it really is a different feeling because I am so used to my older 855.. that I just feel so much safer wearing my seatbelt on my new 4200. And I know, that chances are, sooner or later something is going to happen.. and I am going to be glad that I became a constant seatbelt wearer in both vehicles & tractors. I think knowing Princess Diana's fatal accident really did help prgram that seatbelts save lives.. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-08-06          6682

"Almost" all the time. I will admit catching myself not wearing it at times. Must also admit, that I haven't forgotten to wear it since a local, 64 year veteran farmer was crushed to death, when his tractor drove over him. Appearantly hit a ground hog hole with one of the front tires while carrying a round bale on the loader. The tractor tipped front enough to eject him out of the seat, then drove over him. In a wide open, flat field. He probably never used a seat belt in his life, and sad to say, it cost him dearly. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
mike

1999-08-06          6686

I read somewhere that there has NEVER been a tractor- rollover death when rops and seatbelts were used. In the last couple of years there has been 2 deaths that I know of in my county.. Both were older tractors without rops. One was a 16 yr. old kid that rolled into a unmarked drainage ditch while cutting hay. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Craig

1999-08-06          6693

Have never worn it once! I use caution instead, because for what my tractor cost, I cannot afford to tip it!!! ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

1999-08-07          6701

Belarus Mtz50 does not have a seat belt. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

1999-08-07          6702

Massey Ferguson MF240 does not have a seat belt.Nuclear_Weapon7.Nuclear_Weapon7@Hotmail.comHyderabad,Sindh,PAKISTAN. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Nuclear_Weapon7

1999-08-07          6703

Kobuta B6100 does not have a seat belt.Nuclear_Weapon7.Nuclear_Weapon7@Hotmail.comHyderabad,Sindh,PAKISTAN. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
mike

1999-08-07          6710

Craig, the guy below should WEAR is seatbelt. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Paul Bookbinder

1999-08-07          6716

I have a pregnant wife, and an 8 year old daughter who thinks her daddy walks on water. You bet I wear my seatbelt, they are worth it. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Norm

1999-08-08          6752

Like others, I don't wear it normally when mowing flat areas. I always wear it when using the loader. I have a 755 and have gotten a back wheel off of the ground on a couple of occasions - It's a very scary feeling! Btw - I always wear it in the car: I am alive today because of it. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
E. Rodriguez

1999-08-09          6766

Not only do I wear it for safety reason, but I find that it holds me tight to the seat. Sometimes I think I'm riding a bucking bronco.Also at work there was a friend that got killed because of not wearing one.He was mowing around one of his trees when a branch knocked him off the tractor,hit his head on the way down and the mower ran over him a couple of times.Yes people wear them, please!!! ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Steve Offiler

1999-08-09          6771

Absolutely. Always. Every time I get on the tractor. I have heard enough horror stories in my life that I don't want to become one. A tractor with ROPS is safer than one without BUT presents a new danger - getting crushed by the ROPS itself in the event of a rollover. Wearing the seatbelt is intended to minimize this possibility. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Bird Senter

1999-08-09          6777

I've worn seat belts in cars since 1962 when I installed them in a new car that came without them. It's just such a habit that I'd be uncomfortable in a car, truck, or on a tractor without it. ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
Rich Kulakowski

1999-08-10          6813

Definitely. Have some smaller hills but still attack them up the face instead of across. Just feel safer with it. Always use hearing protection too and force the kids to. Looking around at my neighbors, they seem to be picking up the habit also, most of them hunt so they had the equipment already. Take it slow... ....

seatbelt survey

View my Photos
jack odonnell

1999-08-18          7050

No I'm guilty. I drive a JD950. Never worn one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login