Go Bottom Go Bottom

TYM and Terramite Tractors

View my Photos
Neskowin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-20          59828

Hi all, I'm new to this forum and from the content here, I found the right place for help. Appreciate any insights you all can provide on TYM or Terramite tractors. I'm looking for a 30 HP 4WD tractor to work 6 ac, mostly on hillsides in Northern Cal. Wife and daughter are tired of boarding the horses elsewhere. :- ) Anyway, like many of you, I'm on a very tight budget and can't afford JD, Kubota or NH. I'm also very leery of the totally off-brands, but I ran across TYM which uses Kubota and is Korean-made. Also ran across the Terramite T9. Both are about $5K less than the comparable JD. Anyone know anything about these two brands. I'd like to be educated before buying. Thanks much!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-20          59837

I don't know anything specific about the grays but I think some of them are pretty good and some have developed significant N.A. presence and dealer networks.

The question always seems to come down to who's going to work on it, where do the parts come from and are technical manuals available. I think that some gray owners in some areas are served very well but others end up a doing overseas mail order parts business and having no technical support.

Unless you're in an area that has dealer support for a particular tractor I think of the higher big 3 or 4 prices as a kind of insurance. You expect a decent tractor to be reliable and durable but it's good to know that help is available if needed.

Tractors, horses and hay sometimes go together. If you'll be buying hay it might be good to find out the size bales available from local suppliers. Big round bales are heavy and awkward. Most 30hp compacts would have problems managing the big ones. I solved my budget problem by going with a used 24hp Ford (supported by NH). The story from my dealer is that the tractor was a trade in for a farm tractor by someone found that it wouldn't deal with big bales very well.

View my Photos
EFC Construction

2003-08-06          61102

I am a TYM dealer and would be glad to talk with you about them. About the only thing Korean on them is the bodywork and assembly the rest are known components (Kubota, Eaton, Massy ect.)from other manufacturers. A five year warranty standard makes it much easier to look at also. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-06          61104

Never heard of TYM before but from what I looked at and read on the web site, they seem like pretty nice tractors for the money. Kubota pretty much makes a bullet proof engine. Would be interesting to see where the rest of the power train comes from. I thought I saw Eaton mentioned. ....

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2003-08-06          61105

The TYM is a good tractor, as are the other South Korean models such as Branson (I sell Bransons in Northern California) Century, Kioti and the smaller Mahindras. Very good quality. I don't know anything about the Terramite. Good luck in your search, and let me know if I can help.

Dave ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-06          61107

I guess the TYM is as good as some Malhindras or the Branson or the Century or the 5XXX Deere as they make all of them. From what I have looked at they are comparable to the Kioti. ....

View my Photos
EFC Construction

2003-08-07          61146

About the only common thread that binds TYM and Kioti is the country they were assembled in. Kioti is a totally Korean tractor. The only parts built in Korea for TYM are the bodywork and misc small parts. Transmission is Eaton, Engines are Kubota and JD and drive train is Iseki. If it is close to any tractor it would be a TA model Iseki. Absolutely nothing wrong with Branson, Kioti ect they are great tractors that I would be lucky to own. TYM isn’t god’s gift to tractors (They all have one or two things we wish were different) but they are working hard to make it a real American machine. ....

View my Photos
chipperman

2003-08-25          62661

Hello
Terimite Tractors are American built but are not what most whould consider compact untility tractors. They are a small backhoe loader commonly seen at rental yards. I have never seen one with a three point hitch or a PTO. Good unit for what it is but doesnot compare to a CUT except as a backhoe.
As for the TYM I may be wrong but I thought alot of the tractor was Korean. TYM is Korean. I know Scorpion and Mahindra compacts use the same platform but with different engines and I know on the hydros they use eaton. I thought most of the rest was Korean. (including the shuttle tranny) I have heard remarks the alot of the componets look like Iskei but I had not ever seen the verified. Can anyone comment factualy on this?
Thanks
Chipperman ....

View my Photos
chipperman

2003-08-25          62668

EFC Construction
I could not read your complete post untill now becaues I only had a standard membership. Are you sure they use Iseki componets including threir shuttle transmission?
Chipperman ....

View my Photos
JerryG

2003-08-25          62672

If you look at a compact Mahindra and then look at a MF 1200 series(Iseki TK models) you will notice that they are a like. The Mahindra compacts are Iseki from the fire wall back. The engine and front axle are of some other orgin as far as I can tell. ....

View my Photos
EvetsNielk

2003-08-29          62876

I spent endless hours researching and "test using" Mahindra's Century's JD's Kubota's.

The CUT I ended up purchasing was the Scorpion T450. It is a TYM machine. I have a FEL that came with, a H&S trailer/wagon and a BushHog SQ600 that I cut with. I love this tractor!! As a matter of fact, I just got done painting my BushHog the dark gray the Scorpion is! Looks great!! I purchased this tractor (FEL included) for $16600.00 and I am so-o happy with it. ....

View my Photos
Whodat

2004-03-12          79611

Hi, I couldn't read your whole response but it sounds like you were very happy w the TYM/Scorpion. Still happy w it? I'm considering a TYM 3300 or Branson 3510. Thanks for the input. ....

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2004-03-12          79612

Shelby,

If you like the TYM and Branson, also look at the Mahindra. TYM builds the Mahindra 10 series. Also look at Century, as they are built ny Branson (Kukje actually). Nice units. I'd probably lean toward the brand that is best supported by dealers in your area.

I'm a Branson/Mahindra dealer, so I know a little about these models. You can't go wrong with any of them! ....

View my Photos
EvetsNielk

2004-03-12          79640

Shelby:

I love my unit. I'm in central Ohio, so in December & January it was all "cozy & protected" in the barn! But, I've had it out since. Starts immediately, runs smo-o-o-th. I love this C.U.T. Don't know if I mentioned before, mine is a T450.
I have two acquaintances, one a Mahindra dealer, and one a Kubota dealer. I spent tons of time demo-ing both brands; bush-hogged a field w/ the Mahindra. I loved that tractor.
But, the Kubota was too expensive and the Mahindra's paint scheme wasn't like the TYM's. Honest to God! They're both very comparable.
For me it came down to: 1) Scorpion was a bit less $$ 2) Dealer in Zanesville (very close to me) is a great guy and runs a great, family-owned store 3) The red & gray Scorpion T450 was perfect for an OSU Buckeye fan !!!!! ....

View my Photos
peppers

2004-03-12          79703

I have a 450 TYM. FEL, Back hoe. Box scrapper, Post hole digger with two augers, R 4's, two rear remotes and a five year warr. for $22,000. This is a fantastic machine. I have taken full loads of wet clay down 22% grade and never had the rear wheels (that are not loader) come off the ground. If you live in hilly terrain, like I do, I highly recomend this tractor. This is a powerful 4 cyl. tractor yet you can run it for two days on a tank of fuel(8 gal) ....

View my Photos
EFC Construction

2004-03-12          79704

Yes, I have seen them both inside and out and they are identical. ....

View my Photos
Whodat

2004-03-13          79707

Thanks for the replys. I don't think I can spring for the 450, looking at the 30-35 hp range & the most bang for the buck. Both the TYMs & Bransons at the local dealer are thousands less than comparable Kubota/JD/NH tractors. The Mahindras w HSD are about the same price as Kubota. The local Kubota/JD/NH dealers have been around much longer & have much bigger operations. I'm very concerned about the tractor's reliability since it seems there is a better chance of the TYM/Branson dealer not being around at some point in the future. Has anyone had any problems w parts or service availability, etc on the TYMs or Bransons? Thanks ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-13          79711

Shelby
Have you considered a low hour used Kubota or JD?
I think your concerns are valid as to the future. ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-03-13          79716

quote from Gr8inder"
Have you considered a low hour used Kubota or JD?
I think your concerns are valid as to the future.
"
the same could have been said about Kubota not too many years ago. All this crap about will they be around in the future is just that. Daedong/Kudjke have been around as long as Kubota now.. Doesn't matter if it is called TYM/Scorpion/Mahindra/Kioti/Century/Branson or other, there are Kubota dealers right now, that here today, gone tomorrow. Same can be said for other brands. Many things can bring this about. Overall though, it isn't a problem as these companies aren't going away any time soon. ....

View my Photos
Whodat

2004-03-13          79743

I'm looking for good used also but they're very few around in the range I'm looking at. Also, the prices on the few I've seen are about the same as new on the TYM/Bransons. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-13          79754

Shelby
That is what sold me on the Kubota, a three year old machine
with a couple hundred hours were selling for almost the same as new!

That's what I like about this , we can ALL voice OUR opinion! ....

View my Photos
EvetsNielk

2004-03-13          79755

I would say this to you Shelby:

Concerns about the dealer are valid, but that applies to any dealer selling any manufacturer. The Kubota dealer down the street could be gone tomorrow. The dealer I went to has been around forever, runs a nice, family-owned store, carries numerous different brands and comes from the agriculture business himself.
The Scorpion is manufactured by TYM a South Korean company that's been in existence since 1960, so today they have a solid 44 year base under their belt and they are a very strong corporation.
I'm hoping the link I provided works and you can read some stuff about them.
Their ag equipment comes with very reliable, proven components.

The world is obviously an uncertain place: being a GM dealer's son, I never thought I'd see the day when General Motors axed Oldsmobile-but they did. My point is;research all you can, demo all you can, ask all the questions you can and then go for it!!!!

Well, I can't get the link I wanted to use operable so try this:

Go to google.com
type in Tong Yang MoolSan
It'll bring up links,
click third one down
and remember to click on "English" because the page originally loads in Korean, obviously !!

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-13          79762

What market share do they have in the U.S A.? ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-03-13          79775

For a long time now, Mahindra claims being the third largest tractor mfg in the world. I have now way of proving that right of wrong. I will guess that they have 8% of the U.S. market.. Of course any third world country or country that is jsut out of thrid world status and is making tractors left and right for their own needs, can claim being the third. Think of what China can claim, jsut in what they make for themselves. Never mind what is exported as the Jinma, Farm Pro, and however many other names is used.. ....

View my Photos
chipperman

2004-03-13          79791

lamarbur
I think you will find in compacts it is 4% +-. In ag utlity I do not know but my guess is it may be less.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-03-13          79794

Hi Jay,
How's things going? I took a wild guess at 8% and really don't know any numbers. This started as some continuously seem to beat down anything that is not blue/green/or orange.. these Korean?Indian and other tractor makers I think are here to stay, whether one wants to admit it or not. Dealers may change, districts may a change a little, but overall tractor companies are here to stay and we just have to accept that fact.. More fish in the sea other than the same basic three colors.. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-14          79817

Shelby
Be sure and read some other tractor brand posts on this site
as well as other sites out there.
I always thought the local rental yard was a good source for
info on durability.
Good luck. ....

View my Photos
Whodat

2004-03-14          79910

Hey everybody, thanks for the thoughts. I paid my $19 but still can't read most of you replys. I'll get back to you when I get that straighted out. Shelby ....

View my Photos
chipperman

2004-03-15          79991

grinder
Just want to clarify the statement about "after WW2". Yes the Japanese were considered low quality back then. 8-10 years ago it was the same with the Czechs, Koreans and the Indians a lot has changed since then and they may not have as many bells and whistles as some of the Japanese models but the quality and fit and finish of many of the none major brands is second to none.
Again Happy Tractoring
Chipperman

View my Photos
EvetsNielk

2004-03-15          79992

All I can say is; Man, I love my Scorpion T450 (TYM) !!
Had 'er out today (was a sunny beautiful 50 degrees here in central Ohio) uses the loader and that tractor is just
s w e e t! South Korean-who cares. My Buick LeSabre has components from Canada, China, Madagascar, all over the freakin' world! But, it runs like a top and I love it! ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-16          80007

Chipperman,
They didn't "not" let me join,they just have not responded to my e-mails after joining online,but unable to post. So from what I have read on this forum and others I assumed
they ignore people who IMAO speak their mind.
As for the 4% in 40 year comment, the 4% number was yours
I believe and the 40 + years in business was from EvetsNielk,also in this thread.
Once again my comments about the resale value of lets say
(politely) less familiar brands is misinterpreted as a slam
on the quality. That is not my intention as I'm sure they
are a decent machine.
My point is they are harder to sell used. I think a lot of people will have the same concerns as the original poster on this thread. "Will they be around"?
Hey I'm happy for EvetsNielk, I hope it gives him many hours of service.
But, I will state it again that new people looking to buy
a tractor IMO should consider the value down the road and
not just the initial price difference. ....

View my Photos
lamarbur

2004-03-16          80015

Grinder,
You are missing our points also. I remember running backhoes back in the early 70's and seeing a Kubota, everyone, me included, laughed at them.. The question of the day was how long will this Japanese junk hang around? Kubota has done a superb job of designing tractors, selling them, not much in warranty work and so on. They also spent tons of time and effort seeling resale values. Today, there are many tractor mfg out there. Kioti is just now coming in line like Kubota spent many years to accomplish.
As far as Indian/Korean tractors, they are built just as well, perform as well if not better, and, will be around whether you like it or not. They too, will catch on like Kubota and Kioti and will have to start selling their resale values. Right now, mfg's are playing a nubmer game. Who can sell the most in any given fiscal year. The only problem I can see particularly with the Korean brand names will be the importer. Centruy/Branson/TYM/Mahindra 10 series and possibly others are all being inported in under these different names. I do see the possibility of Branson or Zetor=Century or TYM either dropping out or combining..
There are only so many fish in the sea, and I cna see this scenario happening. Doesn't mean they are bad tractors and worthless. Remember, Kubota at one time was worthless too. ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-16          80053

"Wheather I like it or not"? I couldn't care less. As far as who is around and when and under what name it's just too confusing for me. I don't have a crystal ball and try to live in the present so, I am going to place my $15,000
bet on Kubota. I think the odds are better.
Good luck with your choice and I will continue to point it
out to newcomers.
Good civil debate!

Hope we didn't scare you away Shelby,
Guy's and their tractors, kinda like a dog marking out his yard. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-16          80062

Remember to keep in mind the TractorPoint maxim - any tractor is better than a shovel and a wheelbarrow. ....

View my Photos
Whodat

2004-03-25          81092

Hey, I'm back. Just to let everyone know I decided to get a Branson 3510. Everyone's comments were helpful, & very much like what I heard from the dealers I talked to. I decided that for what I'm doing (mostly dirt work) I needed more weight & horsepower. The 3510 offered the best combination at the best price I could find.
On the transmission debate, I decided a shuttle shift wd be fine for me. I liked the convenience of the hydro, but decided to spend the $1500-$2000 most makers want for hydro on more horespower/weight/features w the shuttle shift.
The dealer I bought from is definetly not as well established as the big 3 dealers in the area, but I talked w them at length & they are good guys who I think will do a good job w any follow up I need. My main concerns were dependability & workability & I think the Branson (& the other Korean brands) will do fine on those counts. Even the big 3 dealers didn't really knock the Korean tractors themselves, their comments were mostly about resale value ala Grinder's notes. Every dealer I talked to thought they had the best tractors, but most agreed that the big 3 & Korean tractors were all well built.
I must say my favorite comment was Kwschumm's about any tractor is better than a shovel & a wheel barrow. AMEN to that! I'll try to post a foto when I have a chance. Thanks for the input! ....

View my Photos
grinder

2004-03-26          81181

Good Luck with your choice, hope you have many trouble free years of use from it.
Use it safely!! ....

View my Photos
Whodat

2004-03-28          81429

Thanks. I'll let you know how things go. ....

View my Photos
CowlitzTractor

2004-04-02          81943

Branson and their manufacturer are now partnered, Century will end up fazing out. TYM is already in bed with Kubota along with a half a dozen other companies.Mahindra is in with Mitsubishi. The only thing that's really happening is the big are getting bigger, and everone else is going away or putting on a new face. ....

View my Photos
lfarraher

2004-06-07          87987

Hiya,
I have owned a Scorpion (Tym) now for 3 years..the T290 model.
Bought with loader, disk, and tiller and backblade.
Never had a lick of problems..winter or summer.
I plant in summer and snow removal in winter here in Michigan.
The Kabota motor IS bulletproof, trans is smooth and I picked them all up NEW for less than $17,000.00
Would I do it again??..hell yes..
And would recommend to others as well.
My uncle owns a Deere 30hp and he ended up calling me to bring mine down and pull for his farm.
He just bought his and could not pull his multihead plow..
My Scorpion did..He is now returning it as the dealer to seal the deal gave him a 30 day satifaction guarantee on it.
Then he is headed for my dealership.
And my boss owns a 33 hp New Holland and he found mine pulled the tandem trailer full of crating easier than his at a higher gear than his..
That should tell you about the Kabota motor.
My uncle mentioned the only one he found that felt the same HP as this was his Massey (Which he wished he didn't sell for this Deere) and I agree..the massey seemed another great buy with the power needed and quality behind it.
My 2 cents on this..hope it helps..

Lou. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login