Go Bottom Go Bottom

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-05          54324

I spent part of Sun afternoon looking at new Century tractors and just got off the phone with Peter, the tech manager at American Jawa (Century). I thought the board might like to hear these points:

1. The tractors are mechanically identical. It's just that there are two importers.
2. Century and Branson have a good relationship and will swap parts if necessary in an emergency situation to keep the customer going.
3. The peripherals are all different. Peter likes Century's loader, which is OEM'd from one of Zetor's suppliers in the Czech republic. From what I saw, it is one massive loader and very heavily built for a 30 HP tractor. It is a full frame loader. I really liked it. Century's backhoe is OEM'd from Ameriquip here in the states.
Peter said that Branson's loader is OEM'd in Korea and is a bit lighter built, although still a solid unit and several cuts above what he referred to "Canadian cheapo loaders".
4. Kukje (Century/Branson) is the largest tractor manufacturer in Korea - bigger than Daedong (Kioti).
5. Peter has examined and tested all three of the Korean tractors coming into the US: Century/Branson, Kioti and LongAgri. In his opinion, none are a bad value for the money and all are well built. He said that warranty claims on Century have been virtually nil. He only cautions buyers to avoid bargain basement aftermarket loaders or hoes.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-05-05          54354

Peter is obviously 100% right as he is the head tech guy for the distributor. Just curious about his comment on the Branson loaders from Korea. I was lead to believe they were the same loader as the Century C20 C30. They sure LOOK like it to me.
Also curious if he had tried the OTHER Korean tractor Mahindra "10" series?

The 3045 arrives TOMORROW!!

Pacesetter ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2003-05-05          54360

Sorry if I created some confusion. From what Peter said, I believe that the Century C20 and C30 loaders are in fact identical to Branson's. He said something to the effect that Am Jawa was having trouble obtaining enough loaders from Korea and were on allocation, so they asked Zetor for help. Zetor came up with a Czech manufacturer who already made very heavy duty loaders for the European market and who agreed to supply a loader for Am Jawa. This is now the C50.

Peter talked at length about Great Bend, Koyker and FreLoader all having at one time or another OEM'd loaders for the various compact tractor manufacturers. He was talking so fast that I couldn't keep up. He clearly knows the industry like the back of his hand. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-05-05          54363

Plus he has a bit of an accent. Being from New England and having no accent, I had to pay attention when listening to him.

So is a Century in YOUR future??

Pacesetter ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2003-05-06          54379

Probably so. We have a minor problem right now here in southeastern PA in that the local Zetor/Century dealer went out of business a year ago. It had something to do with it being a family business and then the key family member died and the whole thing was liquidated. The nearest dealer is now 2 hrs away which is a pain. Actually, I am closer to Am Jawa in Harrisburg, PA than to either dealer.

I like Korean products. I was involved in building a chemicals plant in Korea in the early 1990's. We came in on time and on budget and the workmanship was superb. Some of the subcontractors would get their guys out to the jobsite early for calisthenics. It was explained to me that 100% of them were in the Army reserve and had had martial arts training and so forth. A tough bunch. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2003-05-06          54383

Forgot to mention: Some of the large volume grey market Japanese tractor distributors have picked up Branson franchises and they are really getting aggressive on price . I was offered a Century 2535 w/C50 loader and the rear remote hydraulic hookup package (which I don't need) and R4 tires for $16900 by the Century dealer in Northumberland, PA. On the face of it, it looks like internet package deals on Bransons are definitely cheaper. And they're easy to find - just do a search under "Branson Tractor". I can always rent a trailer and hook it up to the Suburban and go get a tractor from a few hundred miles away. I will not go in this direction, though, unless Branson gets a franchisee or two somewhere close to me for parts and service. Right now, they are not in PA at all.

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-05-12          54753

Frankly that's way too high. The price should be around $15K for that package. That's not a lot less than I ended up paying for my 3045.
Pacesetter ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2003-05-13          54778

Thanks. My gut told me that the price was way out of line. The dealer is just that - a dealer and nothing more. I saw no other tractors there for service and no facility other than a two car garage to service anything. In fact, it is basically a used car lot with two Centurys and a Zetor among the cars.

The other local dealer is 1 hr 45 min north of me in Honesdale, PA. I need to get up there and talk to him. I know that he is a real machinery dealer as he also handles Kioti and Yanmar cranes and generators and so on. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Pacesetter

2003-05-13          54788

It will be worth the trip. I am THRILLED with my 3045. Did a lot of loader work this weekend and it performed flawlessly. The C50 alone is well worth leaning to Century IMHO.
Pacesetter ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
chipperman

2003-05-13          54789

Paladin,
Hello, nice to see you are interested in a Century tractor. I am the district manager for the Northeast. My my phone is 203-314-7633. I would be glad to help you as well as anwser any questons you might have. I am currently looking for a dealer in the Harrisburg area but as you know right now we do not have one their. As for the C-50 their is nothing out their that compares with it. Let me know how I can help.
Thanks
Chipperman ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
wallac

2003-12-20          71780

What about the MAHINDRA tractors how do you think they measure up? ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
DavesTractor

2003-12-22          71924

We sell both Branson and Mahindra. Both are fine machines. The new 15 series Mahindra is built by Mitsubishi in Japan. 20, 26, or 30HP, all are hydro. Very neat tractors. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
realman21502

2004-03-08          79284

It appears to be more prudent to buy a Branson. The Branson has a three year warranty, whereas the Century only has two years. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
chipperman

2004-03-09          79396

realman21502
Like any other purchase you need to look at the whole picture. You are correct Branson has a 3 year warranty. The last year is engine and drive train only. Century has the C-50 loader and on the larger frame tractors the C-50HL. Century's parts and service support to the dealer is second to no one in the industry. I would not suggest anyone buy something based one feature.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Pachant

2004-04-02          81870

FYI
Robert ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
CowlitzTractor

2004-04-02          81934

Hey Guys,

A little heads up here. Kukje is now partners with Branson. Centuries going bye-bye ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
lovefarmalls

2004-04-03          81998

What do you mean Branson vs Century???? Theya re the same machine manufactured by Kukje in Korea. Branson and Centruy are two different importers/distributors of the same tractor. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
jennys321

2004-04-03          82016

I was under the understanding that the Century and Branson are both made by Zetor who have been around for Approx. 57 years.
I have been looking at the new C47L with the C50 loader this is the latest model with the 47 horse power diesel that Cummings bought into. Does anyone know much about these Tractors??? I want to purchase one but havent heard much about these Zetors. Thanks ED ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
realman21502

2004-04-03          82027

Where is the Chipperman at when you need him? Is that an April Fool joke or is Kuje going quit using the Century name? ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
chipperman

2004-04-03          82034

jennys321
Century, "Zetor by Century" and Branson are all made by Kukje in South Korea. Zetor in the Czech republic makes the Zetor utility tractors. American Jawa imports Century and “Zetor by Century”. Kukje owns Branson Tractor LLC the US importer of Branson. As the Century tractors switch over to the engine that Kukje is selling to Cummins the name is changing to "Zetor by Century". At some point in the future the Century name will be dropped and it will only say Zetor. I am sure Wayne at Middendorf will take good care of you (if that is where you planed on purchasing). American Jawa is the exclusive importer of the C-50/C-50HL loader, which is made in the Czech Republic and is only available on Century or the "Zetor by Century". Hope I did not cufuse you more. Please email me if you have any questions.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
1911A1

2004-04-19          83577

To "chipperman" I am interested in a Branson or Century tractor but I don't know where the nearest dealer is from Warren,Pa. I was hoping you could help me out.
Thanks,Dave D. ....

Link:   Branson V. Century

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
chipperman

2004-04-19          83592

Dave
Anchor Tractor Greenville, PA 724-588-5751. Hope that helps.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
1911A1

2004-04-20          83730

Thanks!! "chipperman" Dave. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
dfkrug
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-06-28          89515

I saw my first Branson tractors when I was on vacation last week. They seem very well made. Anybody know if they make or are planning to make hydrostatic tranny models? ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
mipete

2004-11-22          100773

I herd that Branson may have a hydro modle or two out sometime in 2005. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2004-11-25          101040

After starting this discussion, I finally bought a used low hours Kubota 3010. I was within inches of buying a Century at Walter's Tractors in Linglestown, PA when I called Walter and was told of a $1000 price increase due to steel shortages. That tipped the deal to the Kubota.

Two points:

1. The Century/Zetor is as well made as the Kubota. The Century C50 loader is a helluva lot easier to dismount than my Great Bend Loader. Only Century has the fuel tank in a sensible location so you are not lifting 5 gal of fuel over your head. Kubota, Deere and Kioti have not figured this one out yet.

2. I got a Kubota with HST. Once you have the hydrostat, you would never want to go back. I am a true believer now. If Century/Zetor/Branson is bringing out a hydrostat in '05, I'd wait for it. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
nhawlman

2004-12-23          102799

I've read some speculations on Century/Branson Tractors.
I'd like to add an owner's 2 cents by submitting this internet site---> ....

Link:   Century Tractor: Owner Review

Picture Link
Other Tractor Brands Branson vs  Century

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-12-23          102815

Paladin
Good choice!
It beats playing who's on first. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
dfkrug

2004-12-23          102843

Anybody seen the recently announced LG-Montana tractors? They use a Daedong engine like the Kiotis. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2004-12-23          102850

The Farmtrac tractors by LongAgri are actually LG's (they even have the LG crest on the hood). The Farmtrac 300 series used to (as of six months ago) have Mitsubishi engines. I looked at a used low hours Farmtrac 360 and it was a nice machine. LongAgri dealers are as scarce as hen's teeth around here so they couldn't be moving many tractors. It wouldn't surprise me if LG had desired to enter the US market on their own. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-12-23          102861

When I looked at FarmTrac the 260 (I think that was the #) and 330 used the DaeDong ( Kioti) engine.
The 300 and 360 were Mitsubishi motors.
Montana may be using a similar setup, I don't know.. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
hrlyeagle

2005-07-31          114147

I have talked to someone that is selling a 27 HP Century, with a loader, 4700 lbs? Two or three years old? With less than 100 hrs. He doesn't know the model #, loader #, or exact year. Smells Fishy to me. Haven't looked at it yet.
He wants $10,000. He said he paid $16,500 for it about 3 years ago. How much is true, where is the Serial # on it?
And is there a site where a person can check the year by the Serial #? Also do the dealers have a list of stolen by #'s?

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
chipperman

2005-07-31          114148

It sounds like a 2028. 4700# would be about right for the total weight of the tractor and loader (it may be closer to 5000). As for the 100 hrs that does not suprize me at all. Most compact owners do not put many hours on them at all. As for the new price of $16,500 that does not sound unreasonble. If it is a 2028 or a 2535 and it is in good shape $10,000 would be a very good price.
Good Luck and happy tractoring.
Chipperman

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-07-31          114160

First, as I have found out the hard way, there is no national registry of stolen GUNS, much less stolen tractors. I do think that it's fair to ask the seller some detailed questions as to how he came by the tractor and maybe even check with the dealer who sold it. The seller should have nothing to hide.

Tractors come on the market for lots of reasons. People find that they need a larger model, equipment gets seized and sold through bankruptcies, owners die and the survivors auction everything off, people move into the city, etc.

The low hours might only indicate that the tractor belonged to a hobby farmer who used it perhaps 50 hours/year. This is not unusual. I wound up buying a used Kubota 3010. The previous two owners put 325 hours on it in three years. I bought it at a bankruptcy sale when a riding academy went belly up. I have put 35 hours on it in 11 months, mostly just managing my 14 acres. It lives a pampered, low hours life. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
chipperman

2005-07-31          114161

hrlyeagle
If you contact American Jawa with the Model/SN they can tell you if it has been reported as stolen to them. They could also tell you what dealer originally sold it. If you P/M me with the info I can find out for you as well.
Happy Tractoring
Chipperman

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
hrlyeagle

2005-08-02          114224

Chipperman & Paladin
Thanks for the help. The seller did come up with the reciepts, from when he bought it new. At first it had me wondering, because he knew very little about a tractor that he bought new. It turned out to be a 2035, with a Great Bend 240 loader, and a Southern rotary cutter, 70 hours on it. I bought it! $10,500
I probably won't be on this site, as have to pay to read longer messages or classifieds. I like the other tractor site. Tractor by. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
oneace

2005-08-02          114256

Like the "other tractor site" all you want. This is the most knowledgeable site out there. There are sales people and techs on here that will get you answers FAST and accurately. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Paladin

2005-08-04          114368

Eagle, you got a helluva good deal. The last time that I priced a 2035 with a factory loader on it it was up around $16,500. and that was last summer. The Great Bend loader is now manufactured by Bush Hog, who bought Great Bend out a couple of years back. You won't find a more reputable implement manufacturer than Bush Hog so parts (if you need any) should be no problem. I am not familiar with Southern as a brand name, although if it is a solidly built unit and if you take care of it and don't mow rocks it's pretty hard to screw up a rotary cutter. ....

Branson vs Century

View my Photos
Arthur

2005-08-05          114388

Your comment about price grabbed my attention. Could you tell me if the price is right on a 3510 I'm considering buying; $13,295?. Cash deal, no trade. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login