JD4100 advice needed fast  
: John Deere Review  -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum and Review JD4100 advice needed fast : John Deere Review -- John Deere Tractors Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Page [ 1 ] |
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-31-1999, 00:00 Post: 4539
MI

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User

I am close to the purchase of a JD4100 tractor. I will be getting this tractor for mowing, around the house landscaping, grounds matinence, and some land clearing (stump and tree removel). I have about 5 acres with terrian that is mostly flat. I have some tight mowing but mostly open. Of those 5 acres about 2 is woods that I plan to make trails in. I do also have a pond that I will be mataining. I have so far been set on the turf(R3) tires. I am planning on getting a JD 60" heavy-duty commercial mid-mount mower. I currently have a 455 lawn and garden tractor. I have the JD450 rotary tiller and would like to keep it to use with my new 4100. I am also considering the JD410 loader with 49" bucket. I will also be getting the rear ballast box but most of the time will have a rear implement on. I will use this to matain the pond I metioned and also to landscape my home. For my use should I get rear wheel weights or chloride in the tires? I need to be able to take this loader off fast. Does anyone have any real world experience with the removal of the 410 loader? Also as I told you I have selected the R3 tires. Will these tires work for light to medium duty loader work and any other uses I have metioned? I was also wondering how long it takes to remove the mid-mount mower? Also what is the name of the option that lets you lower and raise the rear implement sepretly from the mid implement? I am also going for the hydro. trans. Is this trans. reliable and suited to my use of this tractor? Also can you engage the mid PTO sepretly from the rear PTO? 1 last thing. Should I get the landscape rake, the rear blade , or the box blade for my use? coments are appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-31-1999, 00:00 Post: 4540
MI

Filter by User

Me again I also forgot to say that I live in southeast MI. I will be using this tractor a little in the winter but not to much because I have a plow on my truck. But if and when I do use it in the winter will the turfs work good? I do not need the heaters because it will be in a garage.

05-31-1999, 00:00 Post: 4544
Norm

Let me tell you my experience from using a 755 (the predecessor to the 4100). I use my 755 for just about all of the things you mentioned. I will point out the most obvious missing feature (if it is optional on the 4100) you must get 4WD or you will find that you can do little more than mow. With 4WD you can do all of the things you are looking to do, with turf tires, with little or no trouble at all.I also have the 60" mid mount. It is a very good mower (even standing up to abuse such as trail clearing which sould better be relegated to a bush hog). It is, perhaps, the hardest implement to mount and dismount taking about 10 - 15 minutes each way. It is not something that you are going to pop on and off as you would, say, the loader. Speaking of the loader, why 49" bucket? I have the 60, which I was talked into by the salesman - I was skeptical but went with it anyway. Here's the deal - you almost can't over load it. It is 10 cubic feet and I have had it loaded with gravel (plenty of rear weight). You also want to have the bucket wider than the tractor for digging and moving snow.I am not fond of chloride, I fully understand the benefits, but it rubs me the wrong way to put such a corrosive material in my tires (and on the rims). Wheel weights are a better choice, but not easily mountable/removable. What I did was weld up (you can buy, but I thought a little over priced) a rear weight bar and get suitcase weights (which have the benefit of relocating to the front when you are using a heavy implement in tight quarters i.e. loader off).The hydraulic option is called (on the 755 anyway) mid-mount rocker arm and it is well worth the price. Adding it after your tractor is all assembled (again, on the 755) is a major exercise in disassembly! The HST on the 755 is well suited. I would imagine that the 4100 has a similar duty unit. I love the HST, especially for the two things you will be doing most - loader and mowing around obstacles. I don't know about the independence of the PTO on the 4100 - the 755 is fully independent.There are a number of threads in this forum about landscape rakes, rear blades and box scraper. I don't have one yet, but I think I am leaning towards a box scraper as the best implement for landscaping. From what I have determined so far, weight is an important factor and the major determinant in price.Good luck.

05-31-1999, 00:00 Post: 4545
Jack in IL

I have a 4100 with the equipment you are considering. Hydro is outstanding for both mowing and loader work. Turf tires work quite well even with the loader on soil or snow--tire chains are available if you really need them. Mounting and attaching the loader takes about 2 minutes. The trick is that you need to park the loader on a level spot and have solid ground (or a small plank) under the loader support stands. If you park it on loose soil or gravel, the supports sink in making it difficult to remount the loader. Attaching and detaching the mower takes about 4-5 minutes. You should do this on a concrete slab or your garage floor--not on soil or in the grass since you need to roll the mower to the side. I definitely recommend 3 cast rear wheel weights per rear wheel (per JD specs) instead of liquid in the tires. The liquid is a pain to deal with when checking inflation pressures (you need to have the valve stem up), it can cause rusting of the rim and valve stem, and the chloride will kill the grass if you have a tire rupture. With regard to your question about raising and lowering the rear implement separately from the mower--there is no extra hydraulic valve option, but there is an option to hold the mower deck in the raised position and still let the rear lift arms raise and lower. It is called a Lift Latch Kit for 4100 (part number BM19507). I also use it to hold the mower lift parts under the tractor in the fully raised position when I have the mower deck removed--this gives maximum ground clearance. With regard to rear implements, you may eventually find you want all of them, but a blade is a good place to start since you can use it for both soil and snow work. Good Luck with your new toys.

05-31-1999, 00:00 Post: 4546
Derek Harrison

MI, I, like you, am in the process of looking and asking before I buy. So, although I don't havethe tractor yet, I'll share what I have learned from a variety of sources.A) The 410 Loader is about a 90-second operation to add and remove...the easiest thing in the worldB) If you want to mow nice lawn, you might want removeable weight..ie. rear weights over filled tiresC) R-4 Industrial tires do little, if any, damage to lawn and are MUCH better than turfs for loader/other stuffD) I think adding/removing mid-mount is a 5-10 minute ordeal, the hardest part being to slide it under the tractor.E) Hydro trans is, by all accounts, the best thing for loader operations, and is very nice in general. F) You didn't mention what you were gonna do with your rear blade/box blade/rake...but I have heard people say that the box blade is the most useful in the long term. But I'm not too sure about that so you might want to look into it further.Hope this helps,Derek

06-01-1999, 00:00 Post: 4573
Keith Boyd

Forget the stump and tree removal with the 4100, unless the stumps are very old, or the trees are rather small. This issue has been discussed before many times here. Usually, the common advice is to hire that work out to a bulldozer and save the heavy wear and tear on your compact for things it is really suited for.Keith

06-01-1999, 00:00 Post: 4595
DennisCTB

TP Contributor

Please read this posters' comments with a "grain of Salt" as the timing and comments he has made are contradictory, it's possible this person has made an honest error, or someone has doubled up on the email address, or a dealer is pumping up 4100 interest, who knows. I have sent him an email asking for clarification.

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] |

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > John Deere Review Forum

Thread 4539 Filter by Poster:
DennisCTB 1 | Derek Harrison 1 | Jack in IL 1 | Keith Boyd 1 | MI 2 | Norm 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
cowrider

Belarus - Belarus 250as blowby
Belarus 250as blowby

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ John Deere 2210 Backhoe Review
+ John Deere vs Kubota Compact Tractors
+ John Deere 790 fuel shut-off solenoid failing
+ John Deere low viscosity HY GARD
+ John Deere JD 4100 Wiring diagram
+ JD 790 or Kubota L3000DT
+ Should I buy a John Deere 4105
+ John Deere 4300 turns over but won t start
+ John Deere 455 garden tractor