Tractor or Skid Steer  
: Other Tractor Brands  -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum and Review Tractor or Skid Steer : Other Tractor Brands -- Other Tractor Brands Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 05-06-1999, 00:00 Post: 3541
Rob

TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 Tractor or Skid Steer

Help! do I need a tractor or a skid steer?? I want to push a lot of dirt around, drag logs, dig stumps, grade, dig some drainage trenches, and other assorted landscaping things on 15 acres of level land, pretty thinly wooded. No mowing, no farming. The land was logged awhile back and everything that was trimmed from the logs is still laying where it fell. Would like to cut in a cross country skiing/hiking trail and fill in the low, swampy areas with gravel and drainage tile. I like the idea of being perched on top of a nice John Deere, but now I'm thinking maybe a Bobcat type skid-steer might be a better choice. Looking at stuff around 40hp is this where I want to be?? Would like to be able to run a 6" chipper, loader and backhoe..........thanks

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 05-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 3548
Jon

Tractor or Skid Steer

Last year I rented a Bobcat Skid Steer--a big mistake. My land was wet and insoft areas it sank & got stuck. I had to pull it out with a 4WD PU 3 times.I could only use it in a few areas and eventually gave up. Last week Ibought a JD 4100, it promptly got stuck in a rut left by the Bobcat. I putit in 4WD and it drove right out. This weekend, I'll use the 4100 to removethe ruts. Why the difference? IMHO, the Bobcat weighed more, had much moreweight on the back end, had smooth hard tires, and no 4WD. The JD's weight ismore balanced, pneumatic R1 tires that grip, and the wonderful 4WD. But you need something larger than a 4100 to handle a back hoe. Best of luck.

05-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 3554
David

Tractor or Skid Steer

Repsectfully, disagree with Jon on your equipment needs. You need a skid steer for this type of heavy work. You will destroy a compact tractor with a loader attempting to dig out stumps and do major dirt work. A compact with a loader is designed for light work removing stumps is not! We are a dealer and have seem compacts damaged from this sort of use. A skid steer is designed to do this type of work. Look at the metal in a skid steer it is much heavier that a compact tractor loader. Most all skid steers are all wheel drive all the time. They are heavier than a compact and can sink in, but there are options for applications such as this if it is a problem. Skid steers can be equipped with tracks for operation in muddy conditions. As a dealer we sell both compacts and skid steers I would not reccommend a compact for this application. Why not rent a skid steer and see if it will do the job before buying one.

05-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 3558
diggerdarol

Tractor or Skid Steer

In my opinion you need more than either can provide. I was in the same situation also and a buddy of mine talked me out of the wheeled vehicle completely and into a compact (23 hp) excavator (with blade). It's used and ugly but more powerful than a compact tractor or bobcat for de-stumping and can doze. I'll get a small wheel tractor later when my 4 acres are more "civilized" The ground I can run it around on would devour anything with wheels (or tip it). Now that I've said that I'd rent something of each and try it out. It's worth the effort if you're planning on living withl you purchase for a while. Don't discount machines with tracks.

05-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 3559
BigG

Tractor or Skid Steer

Sorry, David, but I agree with Jon.Have used both on my 75 acre wood lot. I too have ski trails, swampy areas, but most of my land is not level.The skid steer worked fine when things were dry and level, but got stuck easily in the soft stuff, and felt wayto unsteady for me on the hilly stuff. Doesn't seem to bother others, but I felt like I was going to tip all thetime, and didn't relish the thought of trying to right the machine (rental). Certainly it was heavier built, andcould do a lot of work, but it was harder to control, tore up my trails, and didn't meet my needs.On the compact side, I had a backhoe attached, which allowed me to dig and lift, and also to reach out into the soft stuff to place some logs, before venturing in. The bucket was more than capable of handling all the dirtmoving requirements I had (sandy loam) and the backhoe gave me the ability to contour my trails where I traversed upa slope. Something that is difficult with the front bucket.Now I can run a bush hog on the compact for the trails, and use it with a center mower to cut my lawn.Resale on tractors seems to be a bit better, although skid steers seem to be improving. Compacts can go to folkslike us, estate owners, market gardeners, or mowing contractors. Skid steers are only looked for by contractorsand farmers, so the market is smaller. And 3 pth implements are cheaper and more readily available.I'm happy with my decision. Depends on everything you want to do with the machine. Good luck.And take Davids advice. Rent first. You should be able to find both at a good rental yard. The $200 you spendfor a days rental may be all you need to spend to know which is right. (Or maybe to do all the work you want to do.You can do a lot of work with either machine in 24 hours)Big G

05-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 3575
Steve Hansen

Tractor or Skid Steer

Rob,Before I would buy a tractor or a skid steer I would seek out a good dozer operator, show him what I want, and get an estimate. A dozer can do everything you have listed (except, perhaps large stumps which require a back hoe). 15 acres are not much and if they are as you have described the job will not take long. Buy a compact suitable for mowing and maintaing your place after the clearing is done. Something that can pull a box blade and a rotary cutter. Have your dozer operator leave a pile of top soil someplace. You can use your tractor and front end loader to fill in and dress out the depressions that will show up after it rains a couple of times (stump holes). A dozer operator can also push up burn piles for you and if he is on site when you light the match he can also tend the fires, something that no one in his right mind would do with a tractor or skid steer. You can rent this kind of equipment but, unless you are a skilled operator yourself, you will get a more cost effective result by hiring the job out and supervising. I have been cleaning up 21 wooded acres in the Ozarks. Of all the options, and I have tried them all, hiring a dozer worked best for me.

05-07-1999, 00:00 Post: 3578
Rob

Filter by User
 Tractor or Skid Steer

I have received two estimates for clearing a small (1 acre) area for house and barn. First came in at sixteen thousand, that included stumping the area, but not hauling, and digging a 20 by 40 foot leach field for a septic and a 30 by 33 foot area for a crawl space. Said it would take two days. When I recovered, I contacted a second company, they wanted three grand to stump an area about 150 by 160 feet. No digging a septic and no crawl space. They too were going to be leaving the stumps behind. Eight grand a day for digging a hole and stumping seemed a little high, and three grand to dig up about forty, eight inch stumps wasn't much better. Of course, I'm in no big hurry, so if it took me three months to do the work myself it isn't a problem. My thinking is that for what it is going to cost me to clear a few acres I can pay for a tractor or skid steer. I know the "right" way to do this is with a dozer and backhoe, but not many dozers around here are for sale and the ones that I can afford have about a half-million hours on them. If anyone is in southern maine and wants to give me an estimate on this work, feel free to e-mail me. I am a little worried about the softness of the ground, and lack of ground clearance with a skid steer. I guess what I want is a combination dozer, backhoe, tractor and skid steer for around 25K.....rob

05-08-1999, 00:00 Post: 3586
Daniel

Tractor or Skid Steer

Rob Wow can you keep-up with the responses!! It would seem to me that if you tackle the job step by step you would be better off with a compact tractor. You should drag and clear all you can with the compact tractor. Then hire a back-hoe to do ALL the stumping. The rest can be done with a compact that is designed for a trencher. DGD

05-08-1999, 00:00 Post: 3594

Filter by User
 Tractor or Skid Steer

You better check again Jon. All Bobcat skid steers are 4WD. Front and rear wheels on both sides are chain driven by hydraulic motors.

05-09-1999, 00:00 Post: 3608
Rob

Filter by User
 Tractor or Skid Steer

Thanks for all the replies..what I'm discovering is that it probably isn't realistic to expect a compact tractor w/backhoe to stump a overgrown forest. I think I will nix that idea. What I can do is cut the trees, limb them, and drag them into a pile somewhere and then hire an excavator for ten hours to rip everything out. A compact with PTO powered chipper can take care of the mess, and a loader will dump it where I want. I'm a litte leery of investing in a skid steer, for a couple of reasons. Like someone said, if/when I sell, the resale will probably not be as good as a compact and there will be less of a market. I do have quite a bit of wet areas, and the ground clearance of the skid steers is kinda low. Plus, I like the way a tractor looks. I just got back from the local JD dealer and he has a 4600 w/loader all set-up and ready to go......sure looked nice!........

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Other Tractor Brands Forum

Thread 3541 Filter by Poster:
2 | BigG 1 | Bruce 1 | Daniel 1 | David 1 | Dennis 1 | diggerdarol 1 | Jon 1 | Rob 3 | Steve Hansen 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
chashm

Tractor Engine Repair Rebuild - Foton 45  3PH will not lift
Foton 45 3PH will not lift

Unanswered Questions

460 axle

Active Subjects

460 axle
Cub cadet 7305 no start
Upgrading the Factory 145amp A
Agracat 3720 Magnum Clutch Iss
Wiring schem
farm pro 2420
WTB TC30 suspension seat
2017 Tax Plan

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Task Master Tractors Are they any good
+ Branson Tractor Review
+ Mahindra are they good review
+ Branson vs Century
+ What about Mccormick tractors
+ Leaf vacuum for catagory I three point
+ New to me Bolens Tractor
+ Mahindra - Starting problems
+ TYM and Terramite Tractors